2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - September

Shock & Awe

Kogan Style reporting in! 

So far this month I have finished the NexKids and the Creeper 

paloQsJ.jpg

Which, thanks to the kind comments and encouragement from this group means I have finally finished a keyword! 

zO58bhm.jpg

Currently I have Jedza on the painting table... but starting to suffer burnout. Sophie is just such a big model with all the little details, I'm finding it hard to pick her up and deal with them. Will see how I go 

• Like 9

On 9/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, Hawkoon said:

Nearly halfway through the month already, and I haven't painted anything since first half of last month. Seems a bit ironic considering this months topic... 🤣

I'll have to do something about this...

To get some motivation I'm going to ask YOU people what YOU would like to see me paint from the following options:

1. Insidious madness
  2. Coppelius
  3. Bandersnatch
  4. Widow weaver
  5. Daydream
  6. Lord Chompy bits
  7. Insomniac
  8. Serena Bowman

Insidious madness all the way! There is almost no way to paint them "wrong" and you can really just let the colours fly and see what comes out. I liked painting the Berserker husks (Cadmus) for the same reason. Once your skin is ruined by parasites, it can be any colour you like. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

Thanks for the replies so far 😍

As it stands, there seems to be a tie between Serena, Chompy and Madness. So I started painting Serena yesterday, as she sees much play in a lot of my crews.

Once she is done I still need to paint one more model this month! (I'll post a photo soon)

I vote Serena and Chompy! Looking forward to seeing these!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kogan Style said:

Kogan Style reporting in! 

So far this month I have finished the NexKids and the Creeper 

paloQsJ.jpg

Which, thanks to the kind comments and encouragement from this group means I have finally finished a keyword! 

zO58bhm.jpg

Currently I have Jedza on the painting table... but starting to suffer burnout. Sophie is just such a big model with all the little details, I'm finding it hard to pick her up and deal with them. Will see how I go 

amazing work! it feels so great when you finish a keyword right?!

I particularly love the variety of colour on these, as well as the work on the bases - what are they the egg case type things made from?

• Agree 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, Moinetbeard said:

amazing work! it feels so great when you finish a keyword right?!

I particularly love the variety of colour on these, as well as the work on the bases - what are they the egg case type things made from?

Thanks @Moinetbeard! Yes it really does... but damn that keyword has a lot of minions 😆

The Egg cases are things I 3D printed, same with the mites that cover the crew. Variety of colour was something I wanted to try since my comfort zone is definitely limited palette. Thanks for noticing!

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, Hawkoon said:

Nearly halfway through the month already, and I haven't painted anything since first half of last month. Seems a bit ironic considering this months topic... 🤣

I'll have to do something about this...

To get some motivation I'm going to ask YOU people what YOU would like to see me paint from the following options:

1. Insidious madness
  2. Coppelius
  3. Bandersnatch
  4. Widow weaver
  5. Daydream
  6. Lord Chompy bits
  7. Insomniac
  8. Serena Bowman

Bandersnatch!

• Thanks 1

So regarding this month masterclass topic: What to do when you lack motivation to paint, although these are my personal thoughts ;)

Do low key work, like building or priming or do bases, so you have progress even if you don't paint stuff, sometimes it's nice to feel good about small achievements

Keep your paint stuff accessible, like on a fixed space and, if that doesn't work with your place of living, put it somewhere on a movable tray or else, so you have the least possible resistance to actually sit down and paint

I try to have several models available for painting, so i can maybe just switch if i don't fancy the one or the other at that moment

Realistic time estimates are also kinda great, if you have 90% of the weekend into looking after your kids or going out or working and your part time goal is painting 2 keywords until sunday, well duh. Try to make appointments with people to paint or failing that, with yourself. No excuse Situation: Just sit down with your stuff and start, i feel that after that stuff takes care of itself. 1 Hour is often great to get something done, maybe two. 10 hours per day is not realistic

Don't get stressed by instagram or stuff, those people often are professionals. Being a professional artist can be it's own hell, so i wouldn't envy them too much ;)

And i think most important: It's your hobby and your fun and your refuge. If you get too stressed by stuff (like handing in Photographs for the Monthly Painting Challenge),screw that and take a break, if you don't make it one year there is a next year and you will always be welcome back whatsoever. This might sound cheesy but if you turn your hobby into a chore, you can't expect to feel love towards it

So now i said that, i made an appointment with myself on saturday to finish two models for the Pledge :D luckily my unmotivated former self had them built and primed by his next day version.

Have a good one, i love the pictures here

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Moinetbeard said:

Cool Bandersnatch! i used a similar cotton web technique on my nexus stuff and also used some glue strands to make it look a bit more webby - it's quite delicate, but in a decent case should be ok. I sprayed it the whole model with matt varnish after applying the glue to hold it together and give it a matt look. I used the UHU all purpose adhesive. large.20220707_163325.jpg.141bc26e50842fe2b978a4f94e39303b.jpg

thats so good. I wanted to do that on mine but i rejected it as too time intense (i am lazy that way)

27 minutes ago, Moinetbeard said:

Cool Bandersnatch! i used a similar cotton web technique on my nexus stuff and also used some glue strands to make it look a bit more webby - it's quite delicate, but in a decent case should be ok. I sprayed it the whole model with matt varnish after applying the glue to hold it together and give it a matt look. I used the UHU all purpose adhesive. large.20220707_163325.jpg.141bc26e50842fe2b978a4f94e39303b.jpg

This looks amazing! What brand of magenta are you using to paint? I am on my third brand now and they are horribly blotchy and gnarly, but (given it is a "fake" color) it's extremely hard to mix it out of others. :( I have tried Vallejo, Liquitex acrylics (still working the best, but huge pigment for minis) and Louvre acrylics (same issue as Liquitex and it worked even worse).

Pictured: my fight against the paint to achieve a bright magenta silky smoothness on a kunoichi. 

IMG_20220922_113600.thumb.jpg.ddc2777cbefa748410e10f15891e36a6.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

This looks amazing! What brand of magenta are you using to paint? I am on my third brand now and they are horribly blotchy and gnarly, but (given it is a "fake" color) it's extremely hard to mix it out of others. :( I have tried Vallejo, Liquitex acrylics (still working the best, but huge pigment for minis) and Louvre acrylics (same issue as Liquitex and it worked even worse).

Pictured: my fight against the paint to achieve a bright magenta silky smoothness on a kunoichi. 

try kimera coulours, i think it's perfect for that, just get a good clean white for mixing

https://www.pk-pro.de/KIMERA-Colors-Magenta-30mL_1

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DemiMurgos said:

Thanks! This used the vallejo magenta- i love it always silky smooth, drybrushes beautifully and blends nicely with the blue green which I like using it with. I have no idea why you had issues with it before- maybe a bad batch? It's literally my favourite colour!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Thanks! This used the vallejo magenta- i love it always silky smooth, drybrushes beautifully and blends nicely with the blue green which I like using it with. I have no idea why you had issues with it before- maybe a bad batch? It's literally my favourite colour!

Probably, I only found a bottle of Model Color "magenta fluorescent" and it has the same consistency as my canvas acrylics, like glue (despite shaking it like crazy). The frankenmagenta stuck somehow, I'll shoot a pic later when the varnish dried. Painting miniatures made me realize how important magenta can be, it makes everything more vibrant in the mix. :D

For anyone who saddled over from canvases to miniatures: Liquitex paints are amazingly vibrant if you can somehow find the best solution-ratio (suffers from gloopyness otherwise).

Hey @Viruk. Thats an awesome painting job, as always! I wont make any comment about the burn out question because I have been away from wargaming and painting for the last three years. Im probably not a good advice 😂 But I have a question for you! I recently pulled my Malifaux minis out of the shelve they have been standing all this time. Do you remember the trick you taught us to make a simple swamp bases by using the Vallejo water effect and mixing it with the Games Workshop Nurgle rot (that green special paint)? Well all them turned completely white in my case! 😱 Have you experienced the same unfortunate fate? Do you maybe have a trick to restore them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Hey @Viruk. Thats an awesome painting job, as always! I wont make any comment about the burn out question because I have been away from wargaming and painting for the last three years. Im probably not a good advice 😂 But I have a question for you! I recently pulled my Malifaux minis out of the shelve they have been standing all this time. Do you remember the trick you taught us to make a simple swamp bases by using the Vallejo water effect and mixing it with the Games Workshop Nurgle rot (that green special paint)? Well all them turned completely white in my case! 😱 Have you experienced the same unfortunate fate? Do you maybe have a trick to restore them?

This wasn’t directed at me, but I actually learned from someone else that it’s just a matter of wiping them down. I used a wet cloth and just wiped around the water effect and it went back to normal. I think it also depends on the version of the still water, because that stuff in the big bottle oxidizes quite bad. I had a huge bottle turn completely solid :( 

anyway, I have a feeling Viruk will have a much more professional answer :) 

1 minute ago, Shock & Awe said:

This wasn’t directed at me, but I actually learned from someone else that it’s just a matter of wiping them down. I used a wet cloth and just wiped around the water effect and it went back to normal. I think it also depends on the version of the still water, because that stuff in the big bottle oxidizes quite bad. I had a huge bottle turn completely solid :( 

anyway, I have a feeling Viruk will have a much more professional answer :) 

Thanks. I'll try your trick. I actually wondered whether it was dust that was stuck to it but I thought it was a crazy thought.

On 9/24/2022 at 11:23 PM, Franchute said:

Guys, any chance one of you can remind me the best way to post pictures on the forums? Thanks!

Either upload the files here in the post, or upload them to some sort of cloud (like in the Forum gallery in your own folder (make one shouldn't you have one already), imgur, etc.) and just embed the links here.

• Like 1