Malifaux World Cup 2023- May 27th and 28th 2023

ScottishMetaLew

Hello Everyone,

Its with great pride after running the 6 Nations in Scotland this year that and the success of it we thought, why not do it bigger?

In 2023 we're running the Malifaux World Cup at Element Games in Stockport, England. I will be running alongside @Clousseauof UK tournament scene legends and @NoMoreMrNiceKai Mr Rankings and Bag of Tools himself.

So what is the Malifaux World Cup? It's a 32 team tournament ran in a Swiss system to see who can snatch the crown. We want teams from across the globe to compete so entry slots for the UK will be limited until closer to the event to allow our international guests time to sign up.

Teams will be made up of 4 players allowing for a grand total of 128 players, each playing a different faction. Tickets are £160 per team and include lunch on both days and loads of pre entry swag.

A full player pack will release on September 30th 2022. 

Tickets are available by F&F at scottishmetaevents@gmail.com

Team Sign Ups

1. Team Scotland 1 (Dave Laing)

2. Team England 1 (Jamie Varney)

3. Team England 2 (Matt Lewin)

4. Team London 1 (Stef McGlen)

5. Team London 2 (Arran Jones)

6. Team North (Alyx Drake)

7. Team Scotland 2

8. Team Stercus Accidit (Grant Dickenson)

9. Team Wales A (Luke Cocksedge)

10. Team Cyprus

11. Team France

12. Team Pompa (Poland)

13. Team Czech

14. Team Spain 1

15. Team Poland 2

16. Team Germany 1 (Marc Leuck)

17. Team Germany 2 ( Daniel Schmidtke)

18. Team Bavaria ( Pierre Marzano)

19. Team Spain 2 ( Gustavo Castro)

20. Team Poland 3 (Pawel Korpel)

Timings for the weekend:

Saturday

08:45-09:30: Registration

09:30-09:45: Round 1 pairings

09:45 - 12:00 Round 1

12:00 - 12:45 Lunch 

12:45 - 13:00: Round 2 pairings

13:00 - 15:15 Round 2

15:15 - 15:30 Round 3 Pairings

15:30 - 17:45 Round 3

Sunday

09:30 - 09:45 Round 4 Pairing

09:45 - 12:00 Round 4

12:00 - 12:45 Lunch and Best Painted Votes

12:45 - 13:00 Round 5 Pairings

13:00 - 15:15 Round 5

15:15- 15:30 Round 6 Pairings

15:30 - 17:45 Round 6

17:45 Prize Giving, Raffle and Tidy up

worldcup.docx

• Like 4

• ScottishMetaLew changed the title to Malifaux World Cup 2023- May 27th and 28th 2023
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ScottishMetaLew said:

Yes mate, life has got in the way like it has a way to do so I've not updated for a while 😅 we're now up to 15 teams! So have 17 places left available 

That's amazing news! Not the part of life getting in the way xD But everything else :P

Enjoy the important weekend there on the island!! I'll start checking for flight tickets... xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my most sincere apologies about the radio silence on this front. My intention was to have the player pack up but my work life took a massive turn that prevented it and then my personal life got turned upside down aswell. This is obviously no-ones fault but my own that I haven't communicated anything with anyone and for that I hope you can forgive me. The player pack is now ready and will be attached on this post and the original post at the top. The fate deck we will give out to each player is now submitted to Wyrd in hopes of approval, and trophies are now starting to be organised. If you have any questions regarding anything missed in the player pack my life is now much more stable so I will be able to answer any and all questions.

Thank you again for all your patience and my deepest apologies again.

Lewis

worldcup.docx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

@ScottishMetaLew quick clarification on proxies. Will they be allowed if the official models have only just been released? For example say an Explorers player has Tiri proxies and it is part of the April release would they be accepted as it would leave the player a short time window to acquire the models from release, build and paint them etc.?

Many thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Cleezy said:

@ScottishMetaLew quick clarification on proxies. Will they be allowed if the official models have only just been released? For example say an Explorers player has Tiri proxies and it is part of the April release would they be accepted as it would leave the player a short time window to acquire the models from release, build and paint them etc.?

Many thanks in advance

Yeah mate I'm sure that'll be fine as I'm not a monster 😂 gotta respect those who hobby more then me

Few questions

so in pairings one teams sends their player, gets offered two opponents and pick opponent. do they always have to play at table 1 or can they pick any table they like?

If i have a Marcus2 proxy do i have to get an official one or can i use it as long as you will approve it? 

is 2:30 per game including pairings? will theyre be extra time to scheldue pairings and games or should we squeeze everything in that 2:30 timeframe?

4 hours ago, raderk said:

Few questions

so in pairings one teams sends their player, gets offered two opponents and pick opponent. do they always have to play at table 1 or can they pick any table they like?

If i have a Marcus2 proxy do i have to get an official one or can i use it as long as you will approve it? 

is 2:30 per game including pairings? will theyre be extra time to scheldue pairings and games or should we squeeze everything in that 2:30 timeframe?

There will be time aside for pairings. No you put forward for each table so if you get picked to be opponent on that table that's the game and table you're playing.

As per the pack of prefer people used official models for stuff released just to avoid confusion with people coming from all over the place but feel free to send it to the TO team and we'll make a judgement☺️

• 2 weeks later...

We've taken a look at the player pack and the pairing system looks really weird from the outside. It seems like 1 team (presumably at random) gets to pick 3/4 tables and matchups, and the other team only 1/4 (effectively since table 3 also decides table 4... and table 1 picker, picks 3, and thus decides 4)
From experience of the WMH world team championship, this would be an advantage that's hard to overcome so i'm thinking I must have misunderstood it.
Could you let me know how/if i'm being an idiot please?

Also, is there a longshanks link for this tourney yet? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:30 PM, Draysen said:

We've taken a look at the player pack and the pairing system looks really weird from the outside. It seems like 1 team (presumably at random) gets to pick 3/4 tables and matchups, and the other team only 1/4 (effectively since table 3 also decides table 4... and table 1 picker, picks 3, and thus decides 4)
From experience of the WMH world team championship, this would be an advantage that's hard to overcome so i'm thinking I must have misunderstood it.
Could you let me know how/if i'm being an idiot please?

Also, is there a longshanks link for this tourney yet? Thanks!

I am going to presume that it will be ran on Bag o'Tools as the majority of UK events are.

In regards to the pairing system I think you are slightly confused. My reading is that Captain A puts forward their pick for table 1 while Captain B puts their two options to face their pick. Table 2 sees Captain B put their pick and Captain A puts their two for Captain  A to choose from. So on and so forth. So A will pick 1 and 3 while B picks 2 and 4, 5 is what remains.

Hope that helps.

30 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

I am going to presume that it will be ran on Bag o'Tools as the majority of UK events are.

In regards to the pairing system I think you are slightly confused. My reading is that Captain A puts forward their pick for table 1 while Captain B puts their two options to face their pick. Table 2 sees Captain B put their pick and Captain A puts their two for Captain  A to choose from. So on and so forth. So A will pick 1 and 3 while B picks 2 and 4, 5 is what remains.

Hope that helps.

There are only 4 members to a team, so Team A will decide which faction plays on tables 1, 3 and, by default 4 according to the document.  

It may be fairer to allow team 1 to set tables 1 and 2 whilst team 2 choose tables 3 and by default 4, but I've never done a team selection tournement so I couldn't say how much it mattered. 

23 hours ago, Cleezy said:

Hope that helps.

Ah ok i've never seen bag o tools used since I play in EU, might be worth making a longshanks link anyway so people can see it under upcoming events? Team events are sparse so might attract another team you never know?

Yeh my reading is the same as yours but if you actually follow through with the "and so on and so forth" part (which I also didn't do until recently) you realise that A picks 1 and 3, and since 4 is what remains (there is no 5) A effectively picks 3/4 matchups and tables, which is HUGE. I was wondering if this was a brand new format or had already seen some play, or if I understood it somehow incorrectly?