Dashel 1 and 2, need advices for buying list

Firios

Hello, I am a new player  and I have decided to pick Dashel 1 and 2 !

I need some advices about the main boxes to buy after the Dashel starter and They all fall down (to get Dashel 2).

I am looking for the most competitive choices as I will start tournaments in autumn (I have one in October near where I live), because I want to jump in and learn the hard way as soon as possible.

So, what are the main boxes I should pick for Dashel 1 and 2? @Corn I summon you, as you seems to know a lot about that faction, and Dashels in particular ;)

Disclaimer - my recommendations are formed based on me facing Guild decently often, and what I would do if I picked up Dashel.

I would recommend the three remaining guard boxes (Run Them Down, Crime and Punishment, and Rank and File).

This gives you Guard Patrol (Dashel 2 Summon, mounted guard demise), Mounted Guard (solid hire), Guild Hound (Disease Containment Unit summon), Executioner (all star beater minion).

After that the Guild Staples of Pale rider, Lone Marshal, Guild Steward, Guild Mage, and Guild Lawyer are all good purchases.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Diceman87 said:

Disclaimer - my recommendations are formed based on me facing Guild decently often, and what I would do if I picked up Dashel.

I would recommend the three remaining guard boxes (Run Them Down, Crime and Punishment, and Rank and File).

This gives you Guard Patrol (Dashel 2 Summon, mounted guard demise), Mounted Guard (solid hire), Guild Hound (Disease Containment Unit summon), Executioner (all star beater minion).

After that the Guild Staples of Pale rider, Lone Marshal, Guild Steward, Guild Mage, and Guild Lawyer are all good purchases.

Nice, thank you, I am glad that Dashel plays a lot with his keyword because apparently there is a lot of Masters that don't really play with theirs.

I am struggling to do a list with both Dashels. There is so many good profiles and beautiful minis that I want to include !

Also, I don't know if I should try to do a list with a bit of everything (some fast minis, some shooters, some melees,...) or if I should pick a "full theme" (full gunline, full melee,...)?

I have a couple of questions too :

- Dashel 1 :

* @Corn told me that I can summon basically anything, but mounted guards and executionners are some of the bests summons, so do I need to buy one of those in my list, or should I just summon them for free in game?

- Dashel 2 :

* As he is really good in melee, do I need to take an executionner in top of that, or is it overkill?

* Does he need a pale rider or a mounted guard to make him go faster, or does his double charge is enough to help him close the gap?

- General questions :

* I really like the guild hounds minis, but they're very fragile, is it a good idea to buy some in my list, or is it better to take Disease containment unit and summon them?

I have only played Dashel1. He does really well with his keyword and a sprinkle of versatile to taste. The OOK frequent take is the Lawyer, very good but not necessary to start.

In regards to Mounted Guard and Executioners hiring, I always start with one of each. Sometimes you won't draw a 12 or 13 in hand even with stoning and that can cripple your plan without. Turn one summon is most important. I then look to summon the second of which one I need more. Do I need mobility for something like Breakthrough or just to get out of Corner - summon second Mounted Guard.  Do I need some disposable punch, enemy coming at me, or is it Wedge - summon second Executioner. Did I get shafted with cards - maybe a Sergeant or Rifleman.

Dashel1 should generally be summoning every round if possible, and I find one good summon better than a couple of lessers. I don't find hounds worth hiring or summoning much myself, might just be the high volume of things that seem to be min 3 beaters I come across. Haven't tried DCU yet so might be good here and your results may vary.

I think having a general core of models that you are familiar and good with, say to about 40ss, is good to play with and use the last stones to hire 1-2 models/upgrades based on enemy, mission or just to try out. The below was mine:

New Dashel Barker Crew (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 10
Leader:
  Dashel Barker
Totem(s):
  The Dispatcher
Hires:
  Warden
  Warden 2
  Rifleman
  Mounted Guard
  Executioner
  Guild Steward

Dashel1 is a good all comers master with the summoning and being good at most things (master of none though). 

All this should be adjusted depending on opponent and game pool as you see fit. 

• Agree 1

I completely agree with the others in this thread.  Good out of keyword hires are like the Lawyer (can be bought on Malifaux Classics in a 1 pack if you don't want to go in on Lucius' core box) and the Steward (for clearing status- including slow on summoned in units, and a bit of healing support), Pale Rider is also a guild all star and definitely always worth looking at.  But in general, you are going to want to find a balance that vibes with you.  Some players like to lean more into melee (Executioners), some players like to lean more into blasting (DCU, Riflemen).  You are going to have to start playing around with hiring compositions to find what you vibe with most and what most fits your playstyle and the objectives at hand.  

So I would start with all the Guard boxes, the Guild Steward, maybe a Lawyer (either Classic or Lucius core box if you want to start branching into multiple Guild Masters), maybe Pale Rider who is always good and can find a place in the crew of any Guild Master.   Then just experiment with different unit comps and you'll start getting a handle on what to bring to what.  

For example, if you are playing say, Guard the Stash... maybe you want to lean a bit more heavily into Wardens than you normally would, because they are relatively cheap and relatively durable minions who can be difficult to remove from strategy markers.   You're just going to have to get some games in and start learning your models, nothing more too it.  

One really nice thing about Dashel compared to other masters, is while you may pay a bit more up front for his full keyword, you actually get the full value of all of the models you buy.  Because he can summon to fill holes, there are times where you may be glad you have the full unit cap of the different guardsmen due to being able to summon them in various ways.   Compared to say, Lady Justice... where the base kit comes with 3 death marshals, but you'll only realistically field 1 or 2, or how Lone Marshal comes with 2 Exorcists who aren't very good and you won't typically ever field them.   With Dashel, you are milking the value from your boxes, and you're always glad you have the models on hand.  

• Like 1