Experiences with the Witness keyword so far?

Zombified Kiwi

I assume Aspirant? I've played one game with that version and it seems pretty strong. I went in low on stones, as you get built-in suits and lots of cards with configuration, and it went quite well. One of the scariest parts of his kit that I didn't respect enough going into it is the 2" moves on a friendly model in his LoS whenever you add a 9 or higher to config. Using the Totem you can recycle the same high cards you're potentially getting ~5-7+ separate 2" moves per turn, which is obviously bonkers good. Just consider that he can pretty easily move himself 10-14"+ before he even activates if he used all of that on himself and you wanted to focus on it.

The ability to discard to cheat from your configuration combines extremely well with Miya Murakami's aura that adds shielded whenever you discard a card. If your opponent tries to burst down a model with Armour, or Damian if he has his pseudo armour active, you can just spam shielded and make that model super tanky. Also, adding a 13:tome from your discard pile when she activates that your crew can immediately use to cheat with Damian's ability is very strong.

I think witness can play quite different depending on the build, because that affects how you try to use the configuration, and so what triggers are built in.  

Aspirant can be ok in melee, he doesn't have much protection, so expect him to take several high damage focus hits, which might mean he dies before he activates and heals himself. 

I like trying to maximize crows, so got a lot out of esoteric debate and drain magic rather than making lots of use of the runic blade. 

I played one game into Damien2 as Kaeris2 which was not a great matchup for me because he could so easily just clear burning in huge bubbles.  It seemed like an interesting crew but also like it might be a big mental load since you're basically having to keep track of two hands at the same time and considering what all the Configuration is giving you in each activation

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure you can do that with Lohith and Cass. A model can't be affected by multiple of the same aura even if from different sources. It's what prevents the Woe crew doing multiple hits of one damage whenever an enemy model games stunned.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:31 AM, Kevinsmith101 said:

Been using Cassandra with Damien 1 in some practice games and her ability to copy tactical actions in the witness keyword is really solid, double confiscated lore, extra witness obey,copy loiths ability for more pos flips, what do you think?! 

u cannt copy actions that summon models

7 hours ago, Plaag said:

trigger is a part of action

u cannt copy action that gives upgrades or summon models

Check the latest faq, they changed the rules on this. 

You can now copy an action if it doesn't attach/name a model, but a trigger on it does, you just treat the trigger as blank. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Plaag said:

trigger is a part of action

u cannt copy action that gives upgrades or summon models

29. *If an Action’s Trigger lists a model by name, Summons a model, or Attaches an Upgrade is the action itself considered to do

those same things for effects such as Obey?*

a) No. However, the Trigger which lists a model by name, Summons a model, or Attaches an Upgrade is treated as blank and

cannot be declared if the action was generated by an effect such as Obey.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kevinsmith101 said:

Has it had a wording change somewhere. Cass can use any tactical that doesn't list a model by name or attach a summon upgrade.

The trigger for the puzzle box just summons the puzzle box but it doesn't get a summon upgrade. But would get the summon "token" as per gaining grounds?

Summon tokens count as a summon Upgrade for all effects that mention a summon upgrade

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Kevinsmith101 said:

Aaah ok cool beans. But I can still copy it just thought i could for the wrong reason 🤣

You can copy it, but you have misquoted the limitations of the action, and it seems like you have misunderstood them. . ( it doesn't work if it mentions a model by name or it attaches an upgrade. The Puzzle Box trigger mentions a model by name, so that why cassandra can't copy the trigger. It's any upgrade not just summon upgrades). 

On 11/6/2022 at 1:09 AM, LeperColony said:

Is a blank trigger still declarable just without effect, or does the trigger no longer exist?

Could matter since there's a defensive trigger that reduces damage if no attacking trigger was declared.

Based on the FAQ saying "blank and undeclarable" that does imply they are two wholly different things, or it could just be detailing what blank means. Either way it's a moot point, because that's the only way to have a blank trigger.