Help with Witchling Synergy

Funinyourgame

So I'm about to finish my first list with Sonia creed (With the "Old" version) going full on Witchling (3 basic, 2 handler, 1 thrall)
I'm having trouble seeing any kind of good synergy with their individual ability.
I'm looking for good tips to improve my general plays, so far I'm either winning by a hair or make it a draw due to pure luck.

Ignoring the Alt for Sonia, what would be some good strategies, regardless of my opponent's list. should I keep a bubble around Sonia until I have enough Burning to summon more witchling? How should I go about scheme running.
Also, Am I the only one you thinks that "Drawn to pain" is an awful ability or am I missing something? It feels like its easy to exploit by your opponent and doesn't give you anything in return.

I'm not sure I'd ever hire Witchling stalker's in Sonnia one (probably not in either, honestly). Sonnia Unmasked has much better strategies with the Witchling half of her keyword. With OG Sonnia I prefer focusing on the witch hunter models. Using Sanctioned Spellcasters, Spelleaters, and Handlers to get out burning and using Sammael to add some more mobile fire. I'd keep one or two Thralls because they're always great but otherwise summoning, if you can get it off, is your friend. 

Drawn to pain is a pretty mediocre ability in Sonnia 1 though it does allow the Witchling Thralls to close distance faster, it synergizes really nicely with Enraged by the Mage in Sonnia Unmasked. 

Strategy wise, I'd use Sonnia and her ranged friends as a bit of a gun line, keep lead lined coat on Sonnia so she doesn't die, and think about bringing the Pale Rider to move her up the board and put out yet more Burning. In keyword the Purifying Flame is your scheming MVP, but Sammael also brings a lot of mobility and the sanctioned spellcasters provide shockingly good low cost schemers. In a pinch a witchling supported by a handler can clear a lot of the board to score some last points. 

• Like 1

With OG Sonnia I prefer focusing on the witch hunter models.

The problem with that, OG Sonnia's quick abilities are all for the witchling. Hazardous Aura affect all Non-witchlings and the Heal is "Target Witchling only" so it make me think that I'm missing something with the Witchling keyword.
I bought them recently because I like the look and theme of the Stalkers, It would be really sad if it ends up being useless 😢

In the near futur, I might remove the Stalkers for 2 of the new Witch Hunters and keep 1 Thrall with 2 Handler for the heals and burns, but the Hex Bow are not out yet.

20 minutes ago, Funinyourgame said:

The problem with that, OG Sonnia's quick abilities are all for the witchling. Hazardous Aura affect all Non-witchlings and the Heal is "Target Witchling only" so it make me think that I'm missing something with the Witchling keyword.

Sonnia's aura is only 3" and is really just there to discourage enemy models from coming in and locking her in melee. I generally focus on keeping my other models out of it. The Witchling exemption means you can park a Thrall next to Sonnia and keep her safe, if you need to. Stoke the Flames lets you funnel healing and focus into a Thrall which is great. Realistically Sonnia's bonus actions won't be affecting your Witchlings past turn one, Sonnia has a 4" move and wants to be at the back blasting things, the Witchlings are all melee models who want to be in the thick of it. They're rarely in the same part of the board, in my experience. And, sadly, the Witchling Stalkers are somewhat slow, somewhat fragile models that want to be in melee, which isn't a great combo unless you manage to summon them. They're great models, but they tend to die before they can get much done. 

You're also probably ok to drop down to one Handler, they're good models but as Witclhing support pieces you're better off taking two Thralls with one Handler to support them. A second only adds so much without the Thrall to buff.  

I've tried using the Handler/Stalkers method. It has some benefits but you're spending a lot of stones to scheme there. You're also liable to have the Stalkers outpace the Handler. The other issue is that the stalkers are very fragile and your opponent can easily stop you by killing them. 

You can do similar scheming by taking sanctioned spellcasters and positioning them near soulstone users to gain fast. They're a little more resilient despite being cheaper and a little more flexible because you just need them near a friendly soulstone user, which Sonnia has many of. You can also bring Sammael who's quite resilient and mobile without needing much support. Or you can grab some Orderlies who are faster versatiles with a bit of healing at the same price. 

Your mileage may very, but the Stalkers really do struggle to fill their niche except as summons and you're liable to throw good money after bad trying to make them work. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathan Sells said:

You can do similar scheming by taking sanctioned spellcasters and positioning them near soulstone users to gain fast. They're a little more resilient despite being cheaper and a little more flexible because you just need them near a friendly soulstone user, which Sonnia has many of.

This.  Don't forget that Quellers and the Handler are also SS users so between them, Sam, and Sonnia herself, your Spellcasters usually aren't too far from a SS user to turn on their Fast.

All good advices, thank you all.
With my current models, I'm kinda limited in my options for now, I've already spent a fair amount to have a full list of 50pts with Sonnia core box and the Handler/Thrall box so I'm trying to make to most out of these boxes before buy more.

So ignoring spellcaster and quellers, Should I go Sonnia Alt with the Stalkers to make use of drawn to pain? Or should I go OG Sonnia and use the 2nd Handler to give my stalkers 7mv for the whole activation, trying to make to most out of them before they die?

I do plan on buying the rest of the Witch Hunter keyword, just not in the near futur

Sonnia unmasked would be my recommendation, if you're playing fully in keyword, she has stronger synergies with her crew and I at least find her more fun to play. 

If you only have those two boxes, I'd start with hiring Sammael, the two Thralls, and one or two handlers. Fill out your remaining slots with Stalkers and go to town. Sonnia's totem is significant and can score a shocking number of schemes on his own, and Sammael and the Stalkers can flex to cover the rest whole the Thralls beat face.