GenCon 2022 is huge for Arcanists

dancater

The GenCon Nightmare reveals, and the pre-orders show a veritable smorgasbord of Arcanist joy.

See here: https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2022/7/27/waldos-weekly-gen-con-2022

The Nightmare crew is all usable for the folks of the book, with Hoffman really being an Arcanist at heart even if he still has some filthy Guild entanglements.

The new crew, Witness, is all Arcanist and looks interesting and enjoyable; immensely curious to see what the title model is for Ravencroft. Also, where will this crew appear in print?

Two of the title boxes, Coldsnap and Survival of the Fittest, also feature in the early releases (meaning only Mei and Toni titles will not be accessible in some form of retail by the middle of August).

The Miss model is Arcanist's own fire dancer god(dess).

Finally, we appear to have one other (as yet mysterious) release, WYR23330 Untold Tales $35.00 online only. Speculation abounds, but based on the production code, it is undoubtedly Arcanist; it seems a little cheap at only US$35- for a starter box, but baffled as to what else it could be.

So game-wise, it is a great time to be a rebel for a freer Malifaux for all.

Wallet-wise, not so much, but thems the breaks; a revolution needs funding support, I guess.

What are folk's thoughts on the Witness keyword?? For mine, I certainly feel Leger de Main should have included the Performer keyword, I mean, come on.....

Any thoughts on what the Untold Tales contains??

Untold tales sounds potentially related to the Story keyword, as shown by the Story of Raijin spoiler.

Now that model was Ten Thunders and product coding suggests this is an Arcanist box, but it's possible that it's a faction crossover box like the Foundry models in Bayou.  Perhaps it's an enforcer with 2-3 minions that are Arcanist, but with the Story keyword.

That's the limits of my speculation at the moment.

Oh that's definitely an interesting idea. It actually makes a certain amount of sense for it to be a Witness/Story title box with the second title version of both new masters.  Having both versions of a master out at initial release would be quite interesting both for players of the master and players facing them. A bit of a poop-show in some cases, but also fun as heck for people who like using/facing new things.

10 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

It actually makes a certain amount of sense for it to be a Witness/Story title box with the second title version of both new masters.

So to the speculation that Untold Tales will be Ravencroft's title box. It makes sense that it is not spoiled as that would also spoil the other cross-faction master (maybe Story? Makes sense certainly). Also, the pricing is much more consistent at US$35- for a twin small base master and single small base enforcer model in a title box (it is the same price point as Self-Made, They All Fall Down, A Twisted Tale and Hidden Allegiances all title boxes) so that would fit.

However, the code is the key. All the title boxes are WYR239...... All the Arcanist boxes are WYR233...... In the other factions, the Starter boxes code matches the generic faction codes, and Untold Tales is a WYR233(30). So I'm betting Untold Tales is purely an Arcanist release. As a Starter box release, it seems too cheap, out of line with other starter box releases (all at least US$45-), but not sure what else it could be; Ravencroft seems to have a full deck of releases already with a Core box + 2 keyword support.

So colour me waiting for the complete revelation of the untold tale.

• Like 2

So, a thought...

There is potential in my mind that the new masters, or at least Damian, may have a title that is NOT dual-linked with another new release.

If this is true, then Untold Tales WYR23330 could be the standalone Damian title box.

I don't think this is as likely as other options, but I am also not discounting it. Wyrd may have decided that strongarm connecting all the new masters does not make sense rules, and theme-wise, all, some, or none of the new master releases may be keyword linked. We shall see.

It is also notable that Damian's crew already does have a link to Wong and Whizz-Bang, so it is not as though Witness exists in a keyword vacuum.  

42 minutes ago, dancater said:

So, a thought...

There is potential in my mind that the new masters, or at least Damian, may have a title that is NOT dual-linked with another new release.

If this is true, then Untold Tales WYR23330 could be the standalone Damian title box.

I don't think this is as likely as other options, but I am also not discounting it. Wyrd may have decided that strongarm connecting all the new masters does not make sense rules, and theme-wise, all, some, or none of the new master releases may be keyword linked. We shall see.

It is also notable that Damian's crew already does have a link to Wong and Whizz-Bang, so it is not as though Witness exists in a keyword vacuum.  

That would be awesome if they didn't have a cross faction title box.

Would be nice to move away from that xD

On 7/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, dancater said:

So to the speculation that Untold Tales will be Ravencroft's title box. It makes sense that it is not spoiled as that would also spoil the other cross-faction master (maybe Story? Makes sense certainly). Also, the pricing is much more consistent at US$35- for a twin small base master and single small base enforcer model in a title box (it is the same price point as Self-Made, They All Fall Down, A Twisted Tale and Hidden Allegiances all title boxes) so that would fit.

However, the code is the key. All the title boxes are WYR239...... All the Arcanist boxes are WYR233...... In the other factions, the Starter boxes code matches the generic faction codes, and Untold Tales is a WYR233(30). So I'm betting Untold Tales is purely an Arcanist release. As a Starter box release, it seems too cheap, out of line with other starter box releases (all at least US$45-), but not sure what else it could be; Ravencroft seems to have a full deck of releases already with a Core box + 2 keyword support.

So colour me waiting for the complete revelation of the untold tale.

So apparently it is the title box, with Story/Red Library, the Ten Thunders keyword. It's also updated to $40.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I'm kinda glad I don't like his title at all - side from that free action pull I guess.

Makes me regret it less that I can't get the keyword.

I'm the exact opposite. I love the look of the Witness keyword; I'm all in.

Add to that, as a committed book nerd; I could easily be pulled into a Storyteller sub-crew, really cool battle-librarian/forbidden lore/manifested myth vibe.

So I'm broken basically, or at least the wallet will be.

• Like 1

So. From the devotees of the rebellious book perspective.

Ravencroft Unbound seems like a nightmare to face. Unless I'm missing something, "Redirect Magic" is a monstrous, verging on crew-breaking ability. Stripping your opponent of suits, especially on the defensive triggers, and then gaining them to stack a declare multiple simultaneous triggers on his attack, wow :blast.

Miya looks, OK, slow, low damage output, but some utility in a 6SS package, the anti-summoning is nice, but she isn't really a model I want to get stuck in; the Chi barrier could have some interesting uses but again very short range on a slow, fragile enforcer. 

Unbound will definitely get table time. Miya, maybe.

15 minutes ago, dancater said:

So. From the devotees of the rebellious book perspective.

Ravencroft Unbound seems like a nightmare to face. Unless I'm missing something, "Redirect Magic" is a monstrous, verging on crew-breaking ability. Stripping your opponent of suits, especially on the defensive triggers, and then gaining them to stack a declare multiple simultaneous triggers on his attack, wow :blast.

Miya looks, OK, slow, low damage output, but some utility in a 6SS package, the anti-summoning is nice, but she isn't really a model I want to get stuck in; the Chi barrier could have some interesting uses but again very short range on a slow, fragile enforcer. 

Unbound will definitely get table time. Miya, maybe.

Redirect Magic does already exist in the game, albeit not on a Master. Spelleaters have it and speaking from experience they are very annoying to face with something like English Ivan lol.

Miya seems great to me, an autotake IMO. Stories of the Red Library can grab a face card tome from your discard and add it to your config (helps with cheating and getting those 9+s), amazing compared to the crap shoot that is most of them. Chi Barrier is a great wall, especially if you can target through something. 

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Redirect Magic does already exist in the game, albeit not on a Master. Spelleaters have it and speaking from experience they are very annoying to face with something like English Ivan lol.

I think it is Unbound's Redirect Magic in combination with the ability to declare any number of triggers with his Absolute Control attack. Basically, this means Absolute Control eliminates Df/Wp triggers and then gives at least one, possibly two extra trigger suits to Unbound. Spelleaters are aggravating, Unbound is a whole other level, hell it has interesting impacts on what an opponent will cheat in a Df/Wp duel, knowing what suits they don't want to trigger could restrict their cheating options, won't be decisive but will sometimes be a factor. 

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Miya seems great to me, an autotake IMO. Stories of the Red Library can grab a face card tome from your discard and add it to your config (helps with cheating and getting those 9+s), amazing compared to the crap shoot that is most of them. Chi Barrier is a great wall, especially if you can target through something. 

You're seeing more here than I do, no doubt she is likely useful, and at 6SS not to expensive. Maybe I'm missing the on-table utility, will have to experiment.

3 hours ago, dancater said:

I'm the exact opposite. I love the look of the Witness keyword; I'm all in.

Add to that, as a committed book nerd; I could easily be pulled into a Storyteller sub-crew, really cool battle-librarian/forbidden lore/manifested myth vibe.

So I'm broken basically, or at least the wallet will be.

Oh, I love the rest of the keyword, but the title is a super boring kidnap+murder bot. Imo.

1 hour ago, dancater said:

Spelleaters are aggravating, Unbound is a whole other level

Honestly when I look at his card I just feel relieved I don't have to fight him lol (only arc in my area), which is usually a bad sign for balance. I have always despised things  like Spelleaters that entirely block the ability to declare triggers with no counterplay.

Yeah, I (1) Like that the Aspirant and Unbound look like they will play differently, emphasising different things, which for me is the point of titles. (2) Looking at Unbound, I think he is a close-in master without any real defensive schtick beyond 14 Wds and the trigger switch off. Play a non-trigger-reliant min 3 beater into him, and things start getting nasty fast. Unbound is a Master/Henchman assassin, which is damn solid but not all-encompassing. Nice because I see Aspirant as more of a crew buff/support role master.

The biggest issue with Unbound is this 

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Honestly when I look at his card I just feel relieved I don't have to fight him lol (only arc in my area), which is usually a bad sign for balance. I have always despised things  like Spelleaters that entirely block the ability to declare triggers with no counterplay.

Less because it is fundamentally OP, more because it is a negative experience for many having their uber-beater, mega-master smashed by unavoidable, you're near me, so it happens, tech. The negative-play experience, more than the raw power, was a huge reason Cadmus and English Ivan were nerfed. I'm hoping that Unbound is not seen as too much of an anti-fun master selection (see Tara-2, for example, I've heard lots of complaints, some say she is OP, but more say she sucks to play, win or lose, it is not fun). I love Witness's fluff and feel, so I hope I don't feel 'dirty' playing either master-crew combo. 

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'd be careful of prematurely judging things to be broken, just because assessing stuff without actually seeing it on the table is soooooo hard.

For instance with the second title we've seen, he can delete any master that wanders near him... But can he force masters to wander near him? Probably not...

Yeah, I'm not saying he's broken I'm just saying I'd hate to be across the table from all that BS, which is an indicator. Not necessarily OP, but likely to be unfun and way more at risk of being broken than, say, Linh Ly, Storyteller.

And now that I've said that watch Unbound be garbage and Linh Ly dominate the meta for months.

I think after seeing both versions of Damian, I prefer Aspirant. He seems to have a bit more flexibility in his actions. I feel like with Unbound, you'd be hard pressed to not just do his attack 3 times, very powerful, but maybe not creating much decision-making. He has a huge amount of power tied up on the front of his card though, Refraction seems crazy strong to me! Being able to attack through Lohith, who should already be stuck in, means you don't have to spend too much AP moving Damian Unbound and can instead focus on smashing people with your attack. Gives the rest of his crew the ability to stand back a bit from any scrums in the middle, but still effect it.

It definitely adds a new way to play Witness though and I do like that. With all the thinking and planning ahead with the Configuration, I would maybe appreciate a more offensively focused master who is happy in the middle of a fight, in the form of Unbound, compared to the more controlling, ranged Aspirant.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'd be careful of prematurely judging things to be broken, just because assessing stuff without actually seeing it on the table is soooooo hard.

For instance with the second title we've seen, he can delete any master that wanders near him... But can he force masters to wander near him? Probably not...

immediate thought is just hire Toni1, very expensive but painful combo

I think the title is really interesting. I'm sort of reminded of less tanky but more Killy version of Maxine2. More of a "own this section of the board" type of master. Whereas Damian1 seems to be a bit more flexible and leans into the configuration side of things more. 

I'm happy to see that both versions incentivize different hiring options. To me that is how titles should operate. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HomelessOne said:

I'm very tempted, I will admit. lol

Been waiting for Damian since 1e! I'm not eager to potentially re-buy Arcanists stuff again, whether it be Versatiles or OOK stuff people figure out.

If it makes you feel any better/tempted, he does seem like he will function pretty well with most of his hires being in-keyword. Being able to fill your configuration fast will boost a lot of your crew.

• Agree 1