Ulix 2 list for beginner

thuddl1

I have enjoyed playing a variant of either of these lists.

Swine-Cursed build (Bayou)

Size: 50 - Pool: 5

Leader:

Ulix Turner, Porkbelly Protector

Totem(s):

Penelope

Hires:

Old Major

Bo Peep

Swine Cursed

Inferiority Complex

Swine Cursed 2

Inferiority Complex

Squealer

Slop Hauler

Or

Squealer Gunline (Bayou)

Size: 50 - Pool: 5

Leader:

Ulix Turner, Porkbelly Protector

Totem(s):

Penelope

Hires:

Old Major

Bo Peep

The Sow

Slop Hauler

Squealer

Squealer 2

Squealer 3

I haven't found the perfect Ulix2 list yet, so some general thoughts on list building for him:

1. Start with the old major. He boosts pigs (including Ulix himself) and is an autoinclude.

2. You need pigs to grow and score strat and schemes. A Swine-Cursed can turn into a War Pig for free (as they are both sz3), and a Squealer can become a Wild Boar (both are sz2). So take at least one Swine-Cursed and one Squealer to grow turns 1 and 2. Second Squealer can be used as a healer and a cheap scheme runner. I'm a big fan of post-errata Swine-Cursed and take 2 whenever I can, you can try it and see if it suits your playstyle. Other pig minions are good, but I hire them at the beginning only for special reasons. A War Pig can be hired with Inferiority Complex upgrade if you expect many cheap armored targets etc.

3. Hog Whisperer is great in Ulix2. I always take one. Two extra actions for master and a good card returned from discard each turn definitely is worth 6ss.

4. You need a healer (you're holding out for a healer 'til the end of the night). I know that many players like Bo Peep (and it's good), but it is not enough to actually heal your models when enemy comes to kill them. Combination of Bo Peep and a Squealer (see p.2) can work. Bokor is also an option. You can try Slop Haulers, but I think that a 5wd healer has no chances to survive at the frontline.

5. You need some card draw. Ulix runs out of cards very fast and Old Major is his only in-keyword draw option. A Smuggler can help.

6. Ulix2 needs at least 4 stones in cash, 5-6 is better. He has low Df and most enemy attacks will hit, that's why you need stones to keep him alive till his next activation.

• Like 1

The first thing I'd say is that remember that as you buy what you need for ulix 2, you will buy Ulix 1 anyway, so don't forget that you have that ( and the way the hiring works you don't have to pick which version of ulix you use until after you know the master you are facing). 

That said , I'd roughly describe Ulix as fast melee, so looking for something different, Zipp and Zoraida are both more schemy, Ophelia is ranged damage, brewmaster is more a close bubble of hurt, Wong is ranged area damage. So you want something that does the games you struggle with, which will depend a bit on your play style. 

I would probably personally suggest either Zipp or Zoraida, but I've not played bayou much recently, and haven't really looked at GG2.