Tales from a tournament.

Just returned from a 3 round tournament, where I brought my Ressurs. 

Round One

0E70EA27-9361-4C2B-8035-AF23E161619D.thumb.jpeg.d2d5a4d8a59d4176c75210db81cf9351.jpeg
My opponent announced Outcast that I never play against. So I chose my trusty J-Dawg

Jack + Ligeia + 8 Stones

Monty

Jaakuna

2x Hanged w. GST

Guilty

vs. 

Levi II + 2 Waifs

Pale, Mech, Dead Rider

2 Scavengers

And as you might imagine this was an uphill battle for a crew relying on Terrifying? Wp- and Mv attacks. So I went for Catch and Release on a Hanged and Claim Jump on Jaakuna. And things just went downhill from there. Jack never managed to get sn upgrade out, and the Hard to wound on the riders were rough to handle. The biggest thing was killing off Levi and scoring Catch and Release, but my opponent managed both Catch, Assassinate and three Strat points.

SCORE 2 - 7

Round Two

745772C4-1CAD-45C3-B26C-125F3503FD26.thumb.jpeg.54592eb8f3183b11508628c72bcb7639.jpeg

I’d planned using the Spirit Walker for this, but my opponent was soloing a Lucius crew, he just had borrowed for the tournament from me, and we’d just discussed his approach before the pairing was announced. So instead I went with Seamus. 

Seamus + Copycat + 6 stones

Sybelle

2 Dead Doxies

Nurse

Bete

Yin

vs. 

Lucius + Scribe + 2 Stone

Agent 46

Alan Reid

2 Lawyers

Executioner w. Leadlined Coat

Investigator

I made a Doxy and the Nurse Martyrs, and decided for Breakthrough. 

My opponent sent the Investigator / Executioner / Lawyer off to my right flank, and the investigator was just a couple of inches from making contact with a symbol, when the copycat intervened and suddenly Seamus turned up with his .50 BAM!

The rest met on the left flank, as my opponent combined the Scribe / Alan / 46 into an anti-cheat ball of death. Killing off Yin, but Sybelle manage to tear the agent to shreds with her whip, and then Seamus returned and blew the Scribe apart with his .50 and scored a symbol.  

Alan ran to grab a symbol, and fearing that she might survive, a badly hurt doxy ran to have him kill her, but she proved a better fighter and just slowed him counter to the purpose. 

Lucius and executioner engaged the other Doxy and Sybelle, but didn’t manage to put some real damage out while Seamus found a passage behind them, dumped a scheme marker, ate a symbol and put 6 wounds on the executioner with his .50 - and then we ran out of time. 

SCORE 3 - 1

Final Round

ADB6D47B-7A6B-4398-AD00-9F6C677E96D1.thumb.jpeg.9bdb809cb77f8f394b43297900c6824b.jpeg

Once again I faced off vs. Levi II, and this time I brought out the Spiritwalker. 

Yan Lo + Soul Porter + 6 Stones

Izamu

Toshiro w Whisper

Manos

2 Komainu

Mindless Zombie

vs

Levi II + 2 Waifs + 0 Stones

Hooded, Pale, Dead

Ashes and Dust

3 x Abomination

The table was a nightmare filled with large buildings and woods. My center was dominated by a couple of acid lakes. 1 can landed in the center, two on my left flank and one on the far right. 

The center became a mess with abominations, the hooded and pale rider vs Izamu and Toshiro and the Zombie turned Ashigaru. Yet after making his first Ashigaru, Toshiro was unable to draw anything above a 3. So by the end of turn 3, my center had folded. 

The left flank considered of Yan and his two Komainu facing off vs. Dead Rider and Levi II. It was a tough struggle, as both masters and the dead rider died, before the pale and hooded could clean up. Meanwhile Manos and Ashes fought hard. It took till round 4 for Manos to kill the thing, and then was able to kick the can 8” and dump a couple of scheme markers.  Ensuring I scored 2 points for strategy and 1 for Spread them out. 

SCORE 3 - 5

Luckily, proper tournaments aren’t won through games, but from the quality of your paint jobs, and I won best painted - and got third last in standing. 

Learnings

Yan Lo might be bonkers, but damn Levi II and his riders are nasty. The abundant armor and HtW is hard to deal with - not to mention the speed. And you might be able to deal with one rider, but when three are getting spooled up on tokens, they go nuts, while the abominations just drain you slowly, while preventing healing.

I realise now, I should gone harder on them, remembering that Yan is quite adept at stunning models, which would have made quite the difference. Instead, I got to keen on burning them with his dogs, which of course was a struggle. And when I faced him with Daw… I should really have looked carefully on my crew. Maybe Drowned and Crooked. 

• Like 1