Magnetizing modern thin bases?

pyremius

Does anyone have suggestions on how to magnetize the modern super-flat 30mm bases?

I'm carving out the resin bases I used on old models and inserting 2mm magnets, but for some of the new crews I'd prefer not to go that route (extra labor, resin dust, and cost for the bases).

If there's a way to use the 2mm magnets with the new bases that would be ideal, but since I'm not expecting them to work I'll take any other suggestions as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pyremius said:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to magnetize the modern super-flat 30mm bases?

I'm carving out the resin bases I used on old models and inserting 2mm magnets, but for some of the new crews I'd prefer not to go that route (extra labor, resin dust, and cost for the bases).

If there's a way to use the 2mm magnets with the new bases that would be ideal, but since I'm not expecting them to work I'll take any other suggestions as well.

I am using a very thin magnetic sheet (same used for fridge magnets) that you can buy in hobby shops here in Hungary. It's less than a $1 for 10x10 cm, fits about 10 30mm bases if you are good, 9 if less precise. You glue it on with intact glue, then carve off the excess if there is any around the base and done! I keep my figures in old cookie tins, they hold stable enough that if you shake the box, they stay put (don't football the box around the block though). The sheet is less than 1mm thick, so it doesn't even raise the base much.

There was also a suggestion in a video to use a bit of green stuff and push the tiny magnet in and let it dry, just make sure you level it first so it doesn't hang out. There are extremely tiny, strong magnets on the market as well if you don't mind the cost, they usually are a bit more expensive, but they can be attached with just glue and they'd hold onto a speeding rocket.

• Agree 1

I've not done it on the new bases but I have previously drilled a hole directly into the plastic and stuck the magnet in with super glue. This might stick out above the top of the base, but I always have some form of basing ( even if it's just sand) which can cover this. 

• Like 1

https://litko.net/products/miniature-base-bottoms-circular-40mm-magnet-50?variant=6090639933478&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&cmp_id=14877318151&adg_id=127497138665&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_ys4JPZ-AIVgyGtBh3MUg9xEAQYAyABEgJPM_D_BwE

I have all of my Malifaux magnetized with the self adhesive magnets this company sells. They are strong enough to hold the Lucky Emissary to a refrigerator, fit every base perfectly and are pretty cheap. 

I linked the 40mm, but they have the other sized. I do recommend getting the Heavy Duty ones. 

I seriously swear by these magnets. 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 2:23 AM, Adran said:

I've not done it on the new bases but I have previously drilled a hole directly into the plastic and stuck the magnet in with super glue. This might stick out above the top of the base, but I always have some form of basing ( even if it's just sand) which can cover this. 

That's a really fun idea... just incorporate it into the piece... I need to play around with this more. :) Thanks! 

M.

• 1 month later...