2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Shock & Awe

13 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Lovely work @Kogan Style those Umbra models look amazing- I'm a big fan of the purple/blue combo!

I've finished my Botanists- I have to say that I didn't particular enjoy painting these- wondering if anyone had the same experience? I think it was to do with the type of plastic- so much of the detail was slightly off on the model. Anyway, I bashed through them. My favourite is the gremlin!

large.20220719_220054.jpg.24c60c4c192c6edcf5b32e0f636b3f98.jpglarge.20220719_215928.jpg.557a5a65deb1fba9c6b0345edd6332c5.jpglarge.20220719_220030.jpg.d0829337c8e8d2ea3d52c1ba9ef576e2.jpg

Yes somehow they felt a bit off to paint, can't really put my finger on it though. Some Parts were also quite hard to reach on them

Well I won't ruin my yearly process and fall out of the challenge, so I will finish the rest of Redchapel crew in the next couple of days.

First of all - Sybelle. 3hours in one sitting. Very content with her and the super minimalistic palette

And as I reached my attachment quota (and can't seem to find a delete option) and the Imgur permalink is not working when inserted in the "other media" part I can only give you this link (halp mods please)

Imgur Album

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brushgit said:

Well I won't ruin my yearly process and fall out of the challenge, so I will finish the rest of Redchapel crew in the next couple of days.

First of all - Sybelle. 3hours in one sitting. Very content with her and the super minimalistic palette

And as I reached my attachment quota (and can't seem to find a delete option) and the Imgur permalink is not working when inserted in the "other media" part I can only give you this link (halp mods please)

Imgur Album

Love the muted tones💖

As to the image attachment I hope this works:

GHIozBM_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 8

@Moinetbeard - very nice balance of colors with copper armor and bright marble. I really like this model :) Excellent work on the Nexus kiddos too - they do look almost like normal kids but when you look closer they immediately strike as disturbing - just like they should! Especially the girl in turquoise dress - these teeth are just perfect here. I also like the vivid shades of green on the plants. I will be painting these sometime in September. The material they're made of is completely different and it certainly requires a slightly different approach. I plan to paint the big plants using torn pieces of sponge and stipple some textured greens/browns on them. And I agree - the Gremlin one is ridiculously fun :D 

@DemiMurgos - excellent, smooth highlights on Bill. This mini has always struck me as somewhat static but you've done really great job here that actually enhances the menacing aspect of his pose.

@Kogan Style - purple turned out great, works perfectly with pale skin. Daevas have always been among my absolute favorites, hopefully one day someone commisions these from me :D 

I'm up to 98 soulstones this month with these additions (more to come before end of month I hope :) ). 

painters-challenge-july2022-05.jpg
painters-challenge-july2022-06.jpg
painters-challenge-july2022-07.jpg

Later today I will be streaming on https://www.twitch.tv/playwyrd and painting Titania the Autumn queen (21 CET / 1500 EDT) - feel free to pop in and say hi :) I'll also be doing a recap of first GG3 tourney in Poland.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

First of all: @Viruk Thank you kindly, I am madly in love with your techpriest-lookalike lady figurine there as well. :D

I have finally had some time to finish the minis, although I am still waiting for my Milliput to arrive in the post, so nekkid bases for now. I have spun the wheel and it has chosen Bill and a Bunraku for me, so I finish July with the total of 15 soulstones.

Bill was followed to the box art, as requested by my partner:

Adobe_Express_20220726_1454030.0021480861877943846.thumb.png.47bb3a5fd412196997fd5bae0f8f4174.png

The Bunraku really drove the challenge home because I am a moron and can't give up a detailed, patterned kimono. I couldn't figure out how to paint that traditional box-art mattern for the life of me, so changed it up a little bit. I am particularly proud on how woodlike the puppet came out.

Adobe_Express_20220726_1454280.3573997059938715.thumb.png.fec9ec01cebb5bed51b0f5d6b54280cb.png

This concludes this month's challenge - I have started to work on the super sekrit City Lights challenge piece as well, but I might not be able to finish it before time runs out. Expect to see it in August if I missed it - in September when I don't. :D

• Like 8

A lot has been going on this month including a twisted ankle, baking weather and a whole lot of extra work. So while I was hoping to try and get most of the savage keywrod painted I have instead just barely managed to paint enough models to not need to mulligan.

First up we have the 2nd cyclops. Happy with how the paint has come out, less happy with how the gap filling turned out. In some places I didn't smooth it down enough and it has made the skin looking lumpy instead of smooth and on her right shoulder I missed an entire join gap so she has a big obvious line in her shoulder. On the whole though I'm pleased with how my chosen colour scheme is working out for the savages.

t1dwIqW.jpg2EV4ZaL.jpg

Then for my remaining points I dipped into the Fae keyword with the Rougarou. Pretty simple models so was nice and relaxing to just get them painted up and out of the pile of shame. Got to play around with some Blood technical paint and completed the painting of my models from the howling boxset.

bUR6yqQ.jpgacP7d6U.jpg

Hopefully will have more success in August.

• Like 6

Got some time to paint before the end of the month after all😃

Finished off the bases for my bear-ly togethers, so here is a group photo.

20220729_193549.thumb.jpg.db9c7fdfb1a61a616ce2a417add053e5.jpg

I also got time to get started on my super-secret-competition-project, so probably going to spend the next week or so on that.

• Like 8

Caedrus, reporting in!

Folks, I have to say, life has been tremendously busy of late. Once again, I find myself adulting far more than I would wish.

In fact, I was struggling for time so much this month that I only kept up the soulstone count by finishing off some minis from a couple of months ago.

Here we go!

E4XZScn.jpg

3FxYYP0.jpg

Two convict gunslingers, coming in at 16SS. These guys weren't my favourite. I enjoyed doing the NMM on the guns (slowly, slowly getting better at this), and the dry-brushed pigments on the legs worked well. The stripes on the cloth were always going to be a will-I-like-it, will-I-not ... and it's not. Shoulda left the outfit plain. Having said that, the whole minis are pretty much blue and tan, so maybe any extra colour helps. Well, they're done.

Next, Mad Dog Brackett, at 10SS.

kWUsiJo.jpg

Not too bad. The glow of his cigar worked well on some finer OSL, but my hatefully poor photography doesn't show it so well.

Finally, the next installment for my Plague, and the only start-to-finish for the month, it's 7SS of Princess!

uhj9yTt.jpg

An easy one to paint, this one. A pity the base's drain outlet didn't come out right, and looks a bit wonky. The blue glow is a unifying feature of this keyword, but I can't help but wonder if I should jazz up the base with a smaller cut offering a gift to the princess. Hmm, I might need to come back to this one!

So, 33SS later, July is done. Onto August, where more Plague await!

Stay well, everyone, and keep on painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

Cleared the painting queue! Joining the Umbra from earlier this month here comes the Sand Worm, Dr. Meredith Stanley, 2 Spelleaters and sadly.... Vernon & Welles minus.... Vernon and Welles! I built the models separately from the contraption and now I can't find them 😆 Its super annoying as the effect of launching off a cliff is somewhat lost without Vernon screaming while Welles is oblivious (or is it the other way round?)

All in all, 76 stones completed!

5G65db6.jpg  

zocmTU8.jpg

• Like 6

My final submission, just in the nick of time before the end of the month is Cavatica, which brings me to 125SS painted this month. I wanted to try a bit of object source lighting as it's an effect I've never worked on before. Not sure I'm 100% happy with it, but I learnt alot about how I'd approach the next one.

I definitely need to try doing a black background for photographing models like this- maybe I'll try and take a photograph next month of I can sort one out. 

Next month will be a month of finishing bits off I think, I have a few spelleaters to paint for Cadmus, a Wokou raider and Jin for Last Blossom, and some Seishin. I'm going to try not to overdo it in August- I've got lots going on- family birthdays, a week off for a music festival and work will be busy. I'm going to try and actually get some games in too!

large.20220731_201739.jpg.c0b1cac17dec62409545e80738dc0f05.jpg

• Like 9

So just in time to finish another month of tyrant level

My Bete Noire almost completes my Redchapel crew, if it wasn't for the man himself (which will be the first faux model of the new month).

As for my current photography setup. I took craftworld studio's advise and invested in a light ring that illuminates my models quite well. Sadly I'm still shooting with quite a dated camera. But oh well, don't have the money to replace it as I'm spending it on miniature 😅

BeteNoire_01-01.jpeg

BeteNoire_03-01.jpeg

IMG_20220731_233201.jpg

• Like 6

So I'm not basing models until I finish a keyword and can get them all on the same basing.  Primarily planning the flock method there since it'll be too late to use base inserts or rollers or similar.

Anyway, I managed to complete Lady Yume (though I have ideas for some make up that I might try, since her face is fairly prominent) and Mr Graves was surprisingly easy to complete via contract paints.  That's 16ss for the month in two models, so I can 'buy back' my April mulligan finally.

s0up8CU.jpg1oWCgmQ.jpg

dSiifNQ.jpgW3CXqPN.jpg

Yeah, I have a limited palette

Looking at models I have in my queue and the surprising easy of Mr Graves, I'll probably do Mr Tannen in July and also finish off my 3rd Jorogumo. That'll leave me with just the Katashiro to complete for my Oni crew, then I can base them.  After that I might be able to do Lynch and the rest of the Honeypot.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 11:54 PM, Brushgit said:

So just in time to finish another month of tyrant level

My Bete Noire almost completes my Redchapel crew, if it wasn't for the man himself (which will be the first faux model of the new month).

As for my current photography setup. I took craftworld studio's advise and invested in a light ring that illuminates my models quite well. Sadly I'm still shooting with quite a dated camera. But oh well, don't have the money to replace it as I'm spending it on miniature 😅

BeteNoire_01-01.jpeg

BeteNoire_03-01.jpeg

IMG_20220731_233201.jpg

i think it looks good enough for me ;)

what i am still thinking about what to do to make the stand even darker / less visible, weren't there some light absorbing pigments around ?

3 hours ago, Gheist said:

i think it looks good enough for me ;)

what i am still thinking about what to do to make the stand even darker / less visible, weren't there some light absorbing pigments around ?

Could ask a friend for some mousu black. But to be honest I think I will switch my background to something lighter and circumvent the problem alltogether

Unfortunately June got very busy, so I couldn't got completed models (even tried fast paint to complete pledge last days), so I had muligan... However, I finally finished them and added few more models this month! Yes, I know I could much better, but this keyword not really stick to me to paint with spending a lot of time. 

Hope next month would be more accurate with more significant models. 

IMG_20220804_230313.jpg

IMG_20220804_230418.jpg

IMG_20220804_230518.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:06 PM, Moinetbeard said:

My final submission, just in the nick of time before the end of the month is Cavatica, which brings me to 125SS painted this month. I wanted to try a bit of object source lighting as it's an effect I've never worked on before. Not sure I'm 100% happy with it, but I learnt alot about how I'd approach the next one.

I definitely need to try doing a black background for photographing models like this- maybe I'll try and take a photograph next month of I can sort one out. 

Next month will be a month of finishing bits off I think, I have a few spelleaters to paint for Cadmus, a Wokou raider and Jin for Last Blossom, and some Seishin. I'm going to try not to overdo it in August- I've got lots going on- family birthdays, a week off for a music festival and work will be busy. I'm going to try and actually get some games in too!

large.20220731_201739.jpg.c0b1cac17dec62409545e80738dc0f05.jpg

Super cool mini, setup and really good choice of colors 👏👏👏

If you're ok with that, I'll share some tips about OSL:
- the source should be the brightest point in the whole mini.
- the further away from the source, the less intense the color of the light should be (you're doing it perfectly on the clothes, but the ground is almost as bright as the hat)

Again choosing the colors for the shadows so oposite to the light gives an incredible effect, and you're right, if you take a pic with black background, the whole lighting will pop much more

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, Moinetbeard said:

I Feel like I shouldn't post again so soon, but I painted these little sweethearts tonight.

large.20220716_223735.jpg.23854ba92083343e84d9ad700ec99f62.jpglarge.20220716_223554.jpg.f0788f6a791b33a3be7c97dd2e952fa8.jpglarge.20220716_223622.jpg.17d6db070dfd37a79ed98eb1377a050b.jpg

Half way through the month and I'm feeling like I've still got plenty of models left in me- although I might take a little break to actually play some games next week!

These are charming! Good job!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 8:01 AM, Diddick said:

Super cool mini, setup and really good choice of colors 👏👏👏

If you're ok with that, I'll share some tips about OSL:
- the source should be the brightest point in the whole mini.
- the further away from the source, the less intense the color of the light should be (you're doing it perfectly on the clothes, but the ground is almost as bright as the hat)

Again choosing the colors for the shadows so oposite to the light gives an incredible effect, and you're right, if you take a pic with black background, the whole lighting will pop much more

Thank you! and thanks very much for the tips - I felt like something wasn't quite right with it and you're right, it was the base - i've gone back and dulled it down a bit now - will post a revised pic when I get a sec, hopefully with a darker background.

• Like 1