Starting Autumn Queen, A journey into the brambles

Cranky Old Man

Greetings.

I am about to embark on a journey into the Fae. I think the Autumn Queen is one of my favourire sculpts.

First game is purely learning for me so I am not worried about schemes or strats.

I am going to start with this list,

Autumn Queen and Gorar

Aeslin

2 Autumn knights

2 Waldgeist

Malisaurus Rex

6 stones

It may not be optimal but again I am trying to see the combinations etc. 4 minions give me backup for the upgrade. I plan to use other minions at a later point. 

I know there isn't much scheming ability except for abilities from Aeslin and Titania. So i would be looking at taking this is killy or tanky pools. I shall report back on the first game. 

• Like 2

Not sure I'd worry about the Waldgeists unless you're looking at the unreleased Kurgan or it's a very friendly board fot them (e.g. big area terrain forests). I'd probably trade them for a Bultungin & a Rougarou. Otherwise looks solid.

Rougarou are fantastic second-line models. Turn 1 they Roar someone and focus, then turn 2, charge in and kill an isolated model.

I know it's not a Fae, but I find it super hard to leave the Emissary at home...

I might drop the waldgeist and add a rougarou then give ancient pact to both Knights

The Rex is so many points so its either him or the emissary. I heard that hungry land markers are not good for the  Knights. Messes the board up to much. I would love to run the emmi as I have the zoraida avatar which is perfect.

WYR4045.jpg

My first game with Titania 2 I used this:

• Titania, Autumn Queen
  • Gorar
  • Candy
  • Mysterious Emissary
  • Autumn Knight with Ancient Pact
  • Autumn Knight with Ancient Pact
  • Waldgeist

Definitely felt like a good list! You could easily swap Candy for Malisaurus Rex if you wanted al ist with two elite models.

But that said, it is also fun to experience the keyword first and foremost. So totally makes sense to do 100% keyword and you can add in the Emissary later if you wish.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Thanks Ill probably try your idea @Maniacal_cackle but swap Candy out for the Rex. 

7 model crews do worry me. I feel more comfy at 8 but i guess that's just timidity. I guess  between the emissary and rex should be ok. I also worry about ending up with no targets for the Autumn Queens upgrade.

I think 7 is pretty standard in competitive play, but you have to be super efficient with your AP to get your points.

Although I guess with the above models they mostly only have 2 AP each, so that starts to get tight... But could be a good experiment to test out how well you can do with a really tight crew.

Gorar being significant makes a huge difference of course. That's one more body on the board that can score.

I ran my Titania, Autumn Queen into Hoffman 2 this weekend.

We were playing Symbols of Authority.  I took Claim Jump and Death Beds for my schemes.  We ended with corner deployment, not great for Hoffman.

I ran...

Titania, Autum Queen w/ 1SS

Gorar

Aeslin

Erymanthean Boar

2x Autumn Knights

2x Rougarou both w/Ancient Pacts

I run Titania very heavy in area denial.  My Rougarou started by giving me battlefield positioning, and then finished the game punching through week spots in his list and flipping markers and killing the isolated models.  Aeslin held the middle, using "Into Thorns" to deny the slow robot monsters any access.  My opponent's Peacekeeper never got out of his table quarter.  I found Titania's Third Law attack was my favorite (plus both triggers, "Into Thorns" and "Beckon" move the opponent).  Third Law was Injuring and Stunning his key pieces. I would then "Behold her Glory" to draw cards, Focus my Champions and drop schemes and then beat up on the "Third Law'ed" enemy was a great combo.  I championed both Rougarou and Knights during the game and found both scary effective. 

I misplayed the boar halfway through, got him trapped after Hoffman bulldozed my underbrush markers, denying me and escape route, then he killed boar.  I found with all the area denial; I was able to deny Hoffman the majority of combat opportunities he needed.  His big robots could not kill things if he could not get to them.  

In the end, my area denial was too powerful for Hoffman to overcome and we called it at the end of turn four.  I was up 4 to nothing, and was likely to finish 7 to 1 if not 7 to 0.

• Like 1

I really feel that, with Titania 2 we can get away from running so many of our big monsters.  Don't get me wrong, I do love to run them, but more minions gives us more scoring opportunities.  More minions gives us more underbrush, which gives us more area denial.  I am not sure we need the fight to win. If the enemy can't get into position, or we can take them out of position, it can be really hard for them to kill us or score points. Flying or incorporeal armies will of course become an issue with this tactic. I will keep playing it both ways and see how it works out.

• Like 1

I recently got back to Malifaux yet again (not many play it around here and no LGS) - tried out Titania2 with the plan on focusing on the boar and assorted beasts (Rex, Rougaro) and 2 knights. Played English Ivan and even though his Broken Spectre was quite good at preventing the Rex's healing and giving unreducable damage, I still kept him alive. 

Not sure yet if I want to center the list around the Boar and beasts, next time I'll try and use the Underbrush Markers for more damage from triggers.

• Like 1