2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Gheist

11 hours ago, DemiMurgos said:

I have to admit, June is not treating me well. There is a lot going on currently on many fronts in my life, so painting became the last thing to care about. 

I am very slowly progressing with my buddy's smurf which I plan to finish by the weekend. I will pledge Youko only for the rest of the month, totaling a 20 soulstone for June (if I understand that the smurf counts for 5).

Have some work in progress photos, he is still missing shading on his left arm and the gun. I also officially bow down to everyone mastering edge highlights, this was a nightmare. 

First layer of coats and edges, first layer of shading:

IMG_20220610_160236.thumb.jpg.9cd442545844fb40a2393d5d4e0e9ca1.jpgIMG_20220610_160240.thumb.jpg.fe651e0fde042c54b9a7c0db1f023402.jpg

Current state, with more shading, highlights, edges somewhat cleaned up, base completed. Missing: finishing the backpack, shading on both arms, left pauldron and gun:

IMG_20220616_094617.thumb.jpg.b96a163e1d1c00e137f4f2156e89889a.jpgIMG_20220616_094635.thumb.jpg.b17ab662b357067f9249c024893fc8e3.jpg

Haha you painted a smurf! why would you do that? you are in heaven. Don't dip your feet into hell. Hardline highlighting Spacemarines is not any better after 400 of them, believe me. It also doesn't matter which colour you paint them in, they are basically bricks. Looks good and clean though.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gheist said:

Haha you painted a smurf! why would you do that? you are in heaven. Don't dip your feet into hell. Hardline highlighting Spacemarines is not any better after 400 of them, believe me. It also doesn't matter which colour you paint them in, they are basically bricks. Looks good and clean though.

First of all: thank you! :DCompared to Malifaux figures the space marines are simple like a freaking doorstop, yet I have never spent two freaking weeks on painting a figurine and still not be satisfied of what state it is in! I swear I'd jump into a portal to Tzeentch and offer my soul willingly at this point.

The only 40k figure I am interested in are the Mechanicus (especially the potbelly little Manipulus, I think that's just plain adorable <3), and solely as decorative stationary. This was sort of a "commission" from a friend who got a free figure at one of them WH shops and wanted it painted, so he also can have a happy little smurf as paperweight. Good way to learn proper edge highlighting (or at least have a way to practice), but next time I'll only paint smurfs for money...

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, DemiMurgos said:

Pardon for the duplication, but I actually got my hands on a bunch (320 pieces + 25 in fact...) of condition markers and scheme markers. They need to be painted as well. Do they amount to the challenge as well? I'll leave them as long as I am able as the sheer amount of them unnerves me at the moment.

I'd say that depends on how you plan on painting them, if you're just gonna airbrush in one color, sounds a bit out of topic, but if your plan is to use some nice elaborate scheme, i don't see why not, i'm not sure about the points ratio though 🤔

2 minutes ago, Diddick said:

I'd say that depends on how you plan on painting them, if you're just gonna airbrush in one color, sounds a bit out of topic, but if your plan is to use some nice elaborate scheme, i don't see why not, i'm not sure about the points ratio though 🤔

I don't have an airbrush (and will not for a while as we are renting our place), so all pieces will be primed and painted by hand. 😅 Real ant-picking. 

On a completely unrelated note, the smurf is finally done:

Adobe_Express_20220619_1239380.19173897012169472.thumb.png.7404cd6eba4830d61af230693ea30999.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Diddick said:

And this weekend i found some time to finish my Akaname

My idea was to go for something close to human skin colors, I thought it might make them creepier:

tp1QZFU.jpeg

zlYcW1G.jpeg

HS21FkW.jpeg

And the family pic with all 3 akaname (the one in the middle was painted already for the last Rotten Harvest)

7ntyyZz.jpeg

About the masterclass, my way to proceed usually is, put all the different base colors, and then add the first 2 highlights on each one, then the shadows, then tweak the highlights, and finally maybe add some glazes to make the colors more interesting.  Is not really a method I follow 100% of the time, but looking back is how I approach the minis more often.

The pictures seem to be broken, at least on my end. o.o

6 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Are they still broken? I see them right, they're imgur links as usual 😕

Yet again, corporately blocked sites... It is showing on mobile. They look incredible, love how fleshy the ...well, fleshtones look, it's especially realistically creepy on the long-tongued one. The really long tongued one.

• Thanks 1

I have finally started to work on Youko, and I love the color I have managed to mix for her kimono (1 drop Vallejo Hexed Lichen + 2-3 drops of Vallejo French Blue; the highlights contain white and a brushtip worth of silver). These are just basecoats and placement highlights, still a lot to work on, but I wanted to bang my own drum about this royal blue. ❤️ IRL it has a little purple shimmer under the light.

IMG_20220621_082838.thumb.jpg.c53b95960fb60b4bd7aeac98f0e14e4b.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, DemiMurgos said:

Pardon for the duplication, but I actually got my hands on a bunch (320 pieces + 25 in fact...) of condition markers and scheme markers. They need to be painted as well. Do they amount to the challenge as well? I'll leave them as long as I am able as the sheer amount of them unnerves me at the moment.

According to the rules,  markers are 2 ss if flat and 5 ss if 3d and fancy. But I certainly have some markers which I have put paint on  and wouldn't count towards this sort of thing (like just painting the text on an acrylic marker to highlight it). 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adran said:

According to the rules,  markers are 2 ss if flat and 5 ss if 3d and fancy. But I certainly have some markers which I have put paint on  and wouldn't count towards this sort of thing (like just painting the text on an acrylic marker to highlight it). 

The markers are 3D and "fancy" with the logo of the faction, so I'll count them when I'm painting them as I plan to add a nice gradient to it, not just spraying the thing. I was asking because of the sheer amount of the (also 3D) condition tokens, but I'd be happy to bargain a 10 piece = 5 ss for a month, if that works. Hell, I'd go with 10 piece = 2ss, too. :D

16 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

The markers are 3D and "fancy" with the logo of the faction, so I'll count them when I'm painting them as I plan to add a nice gradient to it, not just spraying the thing. I was asking because of the sheer amount of the (also 3D) condition tokens, but I'd be happy to bargain a 10 piece = 5 ss for a month, if that works. Hell, I'd go with 10 piece = 2ss, too. :D

The only person you can cheat is yourself, so feel free to ignore what I'm saying, but they sound more like  what I'd call a 2d marker from the way you describe them.  ( and my experience of condition tokens is a small flat token with either an image or text to show the condition, but you may have something completely different). 

Another way to look at it is how many do you think you would paint in the time it takes to paint a model, if you reckon you'll get 5 painted in that time then you might want to count them as 1 ss each, but if you reckon you can do 20 in that time, then you might think to count a group of 4 as 1 ss. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Adran said:

The only person you can cheat is yourself, so feel free to ignore what I'm saying, but they sound more like  what I'd call a 2d marker from the way you describe them.  ( and my experience of condition tokens is a small flat token with either an image or text to show the condition, but you may have something completely different). 

Another way to look at it is how many do you think you would paint in the time it takes to paint a model, if you reckon you'll get 5 painted in that time then you might want to count them as 1 ss each, but if you reckon you can do 20 in that time, then you might think to count a group of 4 as 1 ss. 

I do not wish to cheat anyone, it's just that I have 320 pieces of 3d printed condition markers (snuggles to a 30mm base) with a stand-out surface that has the condition name and the condition marker (like a broken bone for injured, flames for burning, etc.). I will probably count the entire thing for 10ss, because I'll probably work as much on the whole batch that I work on a single model (which is currently usually 6-8 hours). But if it is cheaty, I'll just leave it as cannon fodder and not count. :D

1 hour ago, DemiMurgos said:

i'll be honest a this point, before this becomes a post about 3D Markers (zzzZZZzzz), if you are in doubt, give us a picture, then we just decide on the basis of that? I mean if you don't meet your pledge otherwise, sure do markers.

Before you paint them a word from experience: don't use markers you cannot stand models on precisely (Schemes for example with protruding 3D Logos are bad), you cannot actually play proper Malifaux with those

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

o6kLgav.jpgTCDSM9F.jpg

It's been a busy month for me due to non hobby stuff and so after the initial burst of hobbying painting up my Norse team I've found myself with little time or motivation for the rest of the month.

Didn't want to end the month with nothing to show for it though so have spent today painting up 3 Aversions and 3 Lyssa. The photos were taken on a phone camera so apologies for the over illumination on them, still trying to work out how to use this particular camera best. The middle Lyssa has snow as opposed to dead grass on his base as he is based up to fit with Euripedes while the other two are intended for Pandora.

• Like 6

Caedrus, reporting in with a (late in the month) WIP!

ZJOxk5m.jpg

I've finally, finally found a gap in my workload. Time to pick up the paintbrush!

These are my alt-Plague efforts. It's kind of hard to choose a colour scheme for an incorporeal, semi-skeletal Cheshire cat!

I have a question for you, my fellow painters: If I were to put a fluorescent glow on these (for the plague effect), what colour?

Yellow? Green? Light blue? Darker blue? Magenta? Purple? Let me know what you think!

Stay well, keep painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Caedrus said:

ZJOxk5m.jpg

I've finally, finally found a gap in my workload. Time to pick up the paintbrush!

These are my alt-Plague efforts. It's kind of hard to choose a colour scheme for an incorporeal, semi-skeletal Cheshire cat!

I have a question for you, my fellow painters: If I were to put a fluorescent glow on these (for the plague effect), what colour?

Yellow? Green? Light blue? Darker blue? Magenta? Purple? Let me know what you think!

Caedrus.

I always thought Yellow to Green with a glow for thr Plague Keyword

On 6/23/2022 at 8:18 AM, Caedrus said:

ZJOxk5m.jpg

Caedrus.

Tbh, i'd go with Magenta/purple since you have so little contrast on these models, being yellow close to the skin and such, that i'd go complementary in order to add some visual interest.