New Keyword/Model - Skulker Skin, ANGLER

Morgan Vening

I was pointed to the most recent Waldo's Weekly, and we get this guy.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2022/5/4/waldos-weekly-fish-and-whistle?fbclid=IwAR2uWufS6QpBU1H5cKph19goGEwF5hH6Rg8Y2yZ9mjxq4ZvONIqa8UON7DY

WW_5.4.2022_Card.jpg?format=500w

Keyword Angler, is something new. 

Not sure what role this guy has. He's got some great points (autodisengage, shoot and scoot, Stealth), but what's he doing to get you points, or reduce your opponent's ability to do so?

What appears to be the Keyword ability seems nifty, especially with his ability to generate them, but he can also be relatively easily ignored. If he's within 3" to hand out the Severe with Beneath the Leaves, he's inside Stealth range, and other than the plus flip to Df, kinda screwed. He can't actively tie things up with no engagement range, and a 1/2/3 damage track is hardly scary, even with the triggers. Under the Surface targetting only friendly stops him as a denial piece.

Just trying to figure out what his job would be, that'd see him put on the table.

The Under the Surface looks really useful (of course depending on the rest of the crew and synergy).

Moving scheme markers always can be handy, this provides real potential for mobility of the Skulker's and some movement of the scheme/tide markers.

Also the switch scheme for tide and back again allows you to mess with an opponent, early on you clutter things with tide markers everywhere and can then pick and choose a tide marker or two for scheme scoring. Also some models have anti-scheme tech, put the Skulker in the right place, have a few tide markers around and then smile at those nefarious anti-schemers.

So a cheap, hard to pin down, does a little bit of damage, mobile, can do scheme shenanigans, and slow an opponent (severe terrain aura). I think a nice starting 5SS package.

My worries are, one at least two new keywords (Angler and Returned), so we'll be seeing new Masters and crews, assuming each new released master get's both a 'vanilla' and 'title', which I hope, add the crews and hopefully we get one dual-master for each faction, that is a lot of release. Two yet more severe terrain which further boosts incorporeal which is becoming increasingly useful.

Also I'm sensing a concerted move towards more closely entwining Malifaux and Other Side, which is OK, but makes me wonder what else we'll see. Also obviously with both the Returned keyword and more earth/malifaux cross-over will the Dead mans Hand crews (or some of them) see official 3E. For that matter will, so shortly after a huge release of 'title' masters most have barely begun to explore we see other masters put into the Dead mans Hand container? I'm hoping not. 

9 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Toss Two Gremlins in a Ghillie Suit on this dude, and you have one of the most annoying models to pin Down. Helps with the damage output too

I'm assuming we're stuffing two Gremlins in the Ghillie Suit and then draping the Skulker skin on top.

Mind you, Gremlins being Gremlins, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried it the other way around.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

I can see one being useful in a Mah crew to extend pit traps

Interesting. Also the area surrounding the skulker is considered having the same trait, but still does not count as pit trap. If, say, Bo Peep hurl another model into a pit trap AND within skulkers aura, that model should then suffer 2 wounds and 2+ injured?  

6 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

I'm assuming we're stuffing two Gremlins in the Ghillie Suit and then draping the Skulker skin on top.

Mind you, Gremlins being Gremlins, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried it the other way around.

You know with gremlins the ghillie suit is on top of the skulker skin

• Haha 1

Well, apart from an awesome looking model, I see it as a very good area denial piece. For 5 points, you get a hard to target model, who can make an area unappealing to walk into, and then push people around and out of it. Would be a good guard for a strat marker in something like leylines or to deny people schemes. Not going to deal out huge damage, but a persistent, annoying threat to positional based strategies and schemes.