Token Reccomendations

I imagine I’m looking in the wrong spot but I was hoping to find a pinned post with recommendations for starting out, what to get aside from models, terrain and rules. Specifically I’m looking to find out what most people use for tokens/counters/markers. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mitch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mitch Gibson said:

I imagine I’m looking in the wrong spot but I was hoping to find a pinned post with recommendations for starting out, what to get aside from models, terrain and rules. Specifically I’m looking to find out what most people use for tokens/counters/markers. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mitch

I am currently trying to flesh out the token-collection at home, but for stacking conditions, we usually use small dice, while for markers I am currently making proper markers (mainly corpse) out of cheap bases (trash-kitting) or out of pre-made bases. My partner currently uses a small ad-hoc set of cardboard circles that have colored pictures glued to for corpse, scheme and strategy markers (needed a quick set for a tournament, got the file with the pictures from Scribd).

As far as I got, the only important thing is that you can keep track of the conditions (we do it in the app properly) and that the markers are a given 30mm size. 

For most of my markers, I'm using some 30mm, 40mm and 50mm laser cut disks (I think I've got some in 2mm 'wood' and some in 3mm wood).  For corpse, scrap and scheme markers, I printed out images, cut them out with a 30mm button cutter, and glued them to disks.  (I can't remember which image set I used.)  For the generic markers, I've found that if you laminate card stock you get something that may as well be a dry erase surface, and I've just been glueing those on to the appropriate sized disks.

Frankly, a 1" or 5/8" circle punch and a ream of cardstock paper is a really, really useful place to start.  :)

Empty bases are the easiest to use for markers, although another common way is to cut 30mm circles out of the boxes ( I believe the faction image fits really well on 30mm for example).

An easy way to make generic tokens this way is to just put numbers on them, and then in one game tokens with a 1 can be scheme markers, and strategy markers in the next and scrap markers in another, until you build up a large enough collection to cover every possible use. 

I don't normally use tokens or counters, instead using whiteboard markers to note things on the card (which I put inside a sleeve). My personal view is it is easier to track that way, but I have used coloured die when others have preferred things on the table. 

Markers have rules and need to be the right size circle, but tokens and counters don't need to physically exist, just so long as you have a way of noting who has what. 

8 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Before recent world events, I always recommended terracutter.  In my opinion they have the best designs out there.  But unfortunately they're located in Russia.

Can only echo that.
Terracutter were sooooo sweet tokens. Got a good collection of those including spinning counters for burning and stuff. But could still improve on some conditions.