2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Shock & Awe

9 hours ago, Brushgit said:

So, ehm,well this ain't a gremlin alright. But I said I'm gonna paint whatever I like from my Backlog, so 😅.

This piece was a big milestone somehow and I never planned it to be and I don't know how it got to that stage. Things just made sense and "worked": Creating texture and glazing it over, creating more contrast in the skin by glazing some purple and reds in, putting focus into the right spots etc...

This happens to be the best miniature I've painted to this date.

Lady Justice

Lady Justice (1) (2)-01.jpeg

Lady Justice (2) (2)-01.jpeg

Lady Justice (3) (2)-01.jpeg

Congrats Mate, that is indeed the No.1 Lady J i have seen so far. Very Tasty :D i think someday you will have to a tutorial video for us mortals ;) Makes me very happy to look at those pictures

• Like 2

I need to go through tomorrow and comment all on the great work this month - but @Brushgit, I will concur that that is a stellar paint job. Truly amazing work. The blends in the skin are particularly nice. 

I'd also like a tutorial on how you take pictures :) I seriously suck at black backgrounds 

HEY - maybe that should be our next "masterclass" topic? 

Rambling aside, I got one of my two Zombie Wolf Dog Beasts done (aka: Rougarou) 

large.Rougarou1.jpg.28b2c070ef91f099b01d

I was going for "Grey Wolf" and the upper bit came out a bit too light. I'm still happy with it though. It isn't perfect, but the one crazy green eye was fun. 

• Like 6

@Shock & Aweirst of all, nice Bultungin. The fur coloring is really working out well!

The picture taking is done on a little pillar of black primed wood in front of a black cloth. Posing the model on a small pillar blurs the background some more. Afterwards I slightly increase the highlight brightness, add a vignette and increase the shadow values. This leads to a consistent black background (well, sort of. Still room for improvement)

@Gheist to be honest, the only thing keeping me from doing tutorials is the lack of a good camera being able to capture what I am doing in video. And with a 3d printer setup still on the horizon the next hobby investment is already planned. But someday, promised!

• Thanks 1

@Moinetbeard Yeah... I've had them for a while now, but now that they're actually worth fielding on the table, I had to paint them up. I agree they were quite fun to paint. I don't know if that was the model itself or the fact that tried experimenting with sketch-style.

The bases are inserts from a small company, Black Cat bases.

15 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

@Moinetbeard Yeah... I've had them for a while now, but now that they're actually worth fielding on the table, I had to paint them up. I agree they were quite fun to paint. I don't know if that was the model itself or the fact that tried experimenting with sketch-style.

The bases are inserts from a small company, Black Cat bases.

Yea I really like the grungy style you've gone for - it works really well for the subject matter. Out of interest what crews are you using them with?

5 hours ago, Brushgit said:

@Moinetbeard I will once I got my new photo setup finished so I can more easily take pics while painting. But I demand to know where you got those lovely flowers for the base in exchange! Those bases look gorgeous!

Ace - i look forward to that! Thank you! The flowers are a combo of the Green Stuff World Static Grass and their pink clump foliage. it has to be well varnished afterwards to ensure the flowers stay on! Green Stuff World has so much great stuff - i find it hard not to spend alot of money there!

As promised, here is a part of the finished Toil 'n Trouble Pandora crew and some Aversions. Everyone still needs to be put on proper gaming base, but for now, they live on the basic black ones. I also finished a super secret challenge piece that I will be able to show once the competition is closed.

Currently finishing up the Poltergeist and the Sorrows - then I will be done for the month. For now... :D

Pandora:

DSC00365.thumb.jpg.ea7fc21d8558ee009aa7a7293fb749f4.jpgDSC00366.thumb.jpg.c58285d92334780849879ef24d14c892.jpg

Aversions:

DSC00363.thumb.jpg.9e4e5b3248ccba4d55fdd8f47cd46a00.jpgDSC00364.thumb.jpg.b14cd85949f175393062ab8e9e39213a.jpg

DSC00361.thumb.jpg.db5796cc948991cf2017316090bf080f.jpgDSC00362.thumb.jpg.34ed0f1ec864033ff87a4df4cf28245c.jpg

DSC00359.thumb.jpg.6979cef3afa6aa0dbcbda9f359f64099.jpgDSC00360.thumb.jpg.477cdae97a366db1b282f26c2c0325f0.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

145279211_20220518_1917552.thumb.jpg.8a1954b61bcb79b3e9522a57a6d0c74d.jpg2044898742_20220518_1918312.thumb.jpg.d1ca7d583d03d49234c19a75d80fc16d.jpg

I have managed to get a little more painting done this week - finish these 2 pairs of Last blossom minions. Not my best work, but honestly I just wanted to get them done - I have my first Malifaux tournament next month that I want to use Misaki for so I'm trying to get as much stuff painted as possible to keep my crew-building options open, but generally I rarely use these models.

As for filling, I rarely bother, but if I do I use greenstuff worked with some moisturiser or handcream, which makes it very pliable for filling - you can almost paint it into the gaps.

Still plenty of time left this month for more painting so I'm going to keep going while I feel productive.

I absolutely love the simple yet effective bases here and the coloring. So crisp!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Moinetbeard said:

Yea I really like the grungy style you've gone for - it works really well for the subject matter. Out of interest what crews are you using them with?

They're actually quite versatile, and works well as scheme runners in almost any crew, but I have mostly played them with Nekima. Being sz2 and immune to black blood means you can fly them around with mature nephilims. While they don't have flight, they are cheaper than young nephilim and nearly as fast, but cannot be tied down in engagements. Hard to kill combined with means to heal themselves (albeit not very reliable) makes them able to survive a bit longer as well. (Also their new :ToS-Fast: means that you'll be able to shower your opponent with even more black blood if you send them into a moshpit)

32 minutes ago, Moinetbeard said:

Green Stuff World has so much great stuff - i find it hard not to spend alot of money there!

Not a company that I am supporting as their business practices include ripping off creatives. Bunch of videos about that on youtube.
But lucky enough they are not the only ones producing clump foliage :)

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brushgit said:

Not a company that I am supporting as their business practices include ripping off creatives. Bunch of videos about that on youtube.
But lucky enough they are not the only ones producing clump foliage :)

Oh no i wasn't aware of that! Looks like I need to do some research and find a new hobby supplier.

@Brushgit– I love finding all the subtle details in your work. Like the composition of the banjonista’s base, the placement and the use of the mud on her legs. It really tells a story. I really like the nmm on Olaf as well, and the subtle rust effect on the bottom of his mask. Also, as you yourself pointed out – the skin on lady J is wicked good.

@DemiMurgos – Lots of excellent work, particularly for someone new to the hobby. The aversion came out smooth, but one thing I might suggest in the future – even if the scheme seems to give you a “two tone” feel, learning how to use contrast will really up your painting (PS – I am still not great at this). For example – this version of the aversions is similar to your approach, but they made at least one thing on the model a more vibrant color, which I think helps the details stand out  (https://i.redd.it/8dbu71a9zfg51.jpg )

@Gheist– You painted far too much for me to comment on all of it! 😊 So, first, SLOW DOWN! Just kidding, keep on crushing it! I particularly like the Ikiriyo – the hair and the skirt are really cleanly done.

@Moinetbeard  The samurai is very clean, and I really like the blue you chose for that. The bamboo is a nice touch as well. I also really like the wearing effect on the archer’s helmet, as well as the color scheme of the snipers. All really great work. As for the moss – I have the benefit of living in Japan where the most popular hobby is collecting trains and making up huge train set dioramas. Thus, there are hobby shops all over the place here that sell really cool nature pieces for those train sets. That moss is one in a large collection of different types of moss and underbrush that they make.

@TimH I really like that color transition on the Geryon. Well done.

@Kogan Style– You definitely nailed the stone effect. Coupled with Winston’s pose, it feels like he’s saying, “What, so I brought along an enormous stone smasher to kill you? This is Malifaux!”

@Hawkoon – I really love that grunge mixture of white/green/purple on the bloodwretches. The whole composition works really well, between the blood, the bases, and the overall grimy feel. Really excellent work.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, LinenMusician said:

large.38F2F0D5-46BC-4E86-A60B-FE49BC2FC39E.jpeg.476409174294def9dc7d82aefe276088.jpeglarge.98E730FF-16E3-4102-8F80-C59BCE598699.jpeg.d7c4d7212ac55318b10009bd7fa1ed8e.jpeglarge.15E23D60-B0FA-44D8-823E-1C08A460BDA0.jpeg.51e4897d104a344f373239c81c45f1ea.jpeglarge.222D84E7-3B54-4185-A910-A29E7EB10DC2.jpeg.2624af4d1c3b1b0b35e57fcc56d01d1a.jpegSo here are my may paintings (hope I’ll can paint something else this month). Maxine and Anya for total of 28 stones. 

I love the solemn feeling of Maxine the shore base creates! 

@Shock & Awe Thanks for the feedback, I actually felt something missing from the Aversions, this is probably the lack of contrast. I'll try this out with the next batch of "monos" later. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Gheist

Amazing work - I can't quite believe how much you get done in a month to such a high quality- very inspiring! The purples and blues you've used here are lovely and rich.

@Shock & Awegreat work on the second rougarou and you really nailed the black background photograph- looks great! I'm going to give that a try next month!

Another piece to add for me - I think probably the shortest amount of time a model has ever sat in my pile of shame- picked up from the post office, built, painted and based within a couple of hours. It's not the most inspiring model, especially for a master, but I do like the patterns on the kimono which made it very easy to get some nice contrast.

20220528_092110.thumb.jpg.5b034de72fa2518bd512939fc8823492.jpg

Still a bit of time left this month to finish some last pieces!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@MoinetbeardI really like the color choice and the base work. For a one day job, that looks amazing. 

I've managed to earn back my mulligan from last month by adding in the Fae master, The Queen herself. 

Here is Titania for 15 more SS. 

large.IMG_4979.jpg.55dd0ab455f403cd638cflarge.IMG_4986.jpg.7c1ead82eb0884f836e76

I took one photo with the white background and one with the black... and personal preference leans me more toward the white background. I feel like you can see more of the details clearly. But that might also be my terrible cameramanship :)

What do you think? 

PS - the base is part of my new 3d printing adventure. I am really happy with the results so far.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

@MoinetbeardI really like the color choice and the base work. For a one day job, that looks amazing. 

I've managed to earn back my mulligan from last month by adding in the Fae master, The Queen herself. 

Here is Titania for 15 more SS. 

large.IMG_4979.jpg.55dd0ab455f403cd638cflarge.IMG_4986.jpg.7c1ead82eb0884f836e76

I took one photo with the white background and one with the black... and personal preference leans me more toward the white background. I feel like you can see more of the details clearly. But that might also be my terrible cameramanship :)

What do you think? 

PS - the base is part of my new 3d printing adventure. I am really happy with the results so far.

Good job on regaining the mulligan! I agree that the white background makes the craftmanship more visible, but the black background makes the colors extremely vibrant and popping. I love the whole scheme and the custom base turned out awesome! 

Kinda gives me a nudge to get my hands on a 3d printer eventually... :D

• Thanks 1