2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Shock & Awe

Yeah i'm always super happy if somebody posts pictures often so i have stuff to look at but i am often too lazy/busy to make Photos everytime i finish a miniature.

Feel free to do as you like, if you need Feedback or aproval just spam away :D

• Like 1

In that case... :D

I have finished one of the Aversions today, still need to base it up later. I will switch the pictures next week when I picked up my new worklamp, but for now, this is the best I can shoot. 

Paints used: Vallejo Game Air "Dead white" and "Electric blue".

IMG_20220505_124112.jpg

IMG_20220505_124130.jpg

• Like 4

I think standard units of other side are scrip to soulstone basis? So a 5 scrip unit comes out at 5ss. At least that is how I calculated it for all my OS stuff in the first 3 months. Of course this is alternatively 8stones of Ikiryo, 9 stones of Datsue Ba, 18 stones of gwishin and 27 points of Enslaved Spirits if you were to consider them all malifaux models... Which would be 61 stones.

10 hours ago, TimH said:

I think standard units of other side are scrip to soulstone basis? So a 5 scrip unit comes out at 5ss. At least that is how I calculated it for all my OS stuff in the first 3 months. Of course this is alternatively 8stones of Ikiryo, 9 stones of Datsue Ba, 18 stones of gwishin and 27 points of Enslaved Spirits if you were to consider them all malifaux models... Which would be 61 stones.

So you are saying that if I paint 9 enslaved spirits I get 5 SS like someone who painted 1 malifaux Model?

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

So you are saying that if I paint 9 enslaved spirits I get 5 SS like someone who painted 1 malifaux Model?

That's how I read it in the rules. Admittedly looking back at the rules the statement "Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but" is specifically in the Malifaux section but yeah when I was counting stones on all my stuff I was using scrip value per unit. For the court and guild OS models I'd definitely just use their malifaux points values instead.

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

For The Other Side, we have counted:

30mm base = 5ss

40mm base = 7ss

50mm base = 10ss

Master = 15ss

Titan = 25ss

That's how I'm still doing it until told otherwise.

Sorry for coming a bit late to the game this month, was ill for a few days... These are some of the minis I'll be working on now:

painters-challenge-May-2022-WIP.jpg

As for tips and tricks.

1. I use Revell Contacta Professional glue. It features a needle for precise application and has thick consistency. The best thing is that it actually slightly melts the plastic. I use it in layers and spread it evenly on surfaces to mask those nasty gaps left after the assembly. Works like magic, especially on larger surfaces like coats.

2. Basing:

- when pinning model to the base you can make your life easier by adding a drop of paint to the pins to mark perfect spots for pins in the base.

bases-00.jpg

- milliput/Green Stuff is great when a model doesn't fit well on the base - such as this Miner here. I just add a bit of the putty to the sides, mark when the pins are when the putty is soft, and then later glue it in place with superglue

bases-01.jpg

- another neat trick is that when you want a mini glued on a nice resin made base and it doesn't fit well, you can layer some of the putty on the base. Some quick work with sculpting tools and in the end the model will look as is the base was custom made to fit it

bases-02.jpg

These are some modelling tips from me, will add more if I can thing of anything else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Quick job and another tick. After smashing it last month, I’m concentrating on other projects this month, so wanted to get at least one Malifaux model done. Saying that, I may well get distracted by more I fancy painting and end up doing a shedload. I never know! But no mulligan this month, at least.

564D3C7F-465F-4A26-A0A2-70B4287B43FB.jpeg

• Like 8

Great to see so many models finished so early into the month! @GheistI cant believe that you finished all of those ghosts in such a short time- bravo, they look amazing. Would you paint a malifaux crew in such a uniform manner or did you handle it that way because of the nature of the otherside being a squad based game? I must admit, after spending so many months only painting singles, the idea of painting more than one of anything at a time fills me with dread- I have 2 thunder archers and 2 katanaka Snipers in my queue this month and I don't know how I'll cope! 🙃

I've given myself a bit of a break after feeling productive last month and to actually play some games (my last blossom crew did well last week in their first outing), but I did manage to get this samurai painted this week. Painted primarily using drybrushes I very much had in mind something @Diddicksaid last month along the lines of acheiving a good time spent/result achieved ratio. This took me about 2 hours (or 3 x-files episodes) and I'm quite happy with it. The tones and colours are neutral as being a versatile model it can go into any of my Ten Thunders crews (all of which are painted in different schemes).

20220508_215733.thumb.jpg.7fa7fa0fda0ab534d220397061b65467.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Great to see so many models finished so early into the month! @GheistI cant believe that you finished all of those ghosts in such a short time- bravo, they look amazing. Would you paint a malifaux crew in such a uniform manner or did you handle it that way because of the nature of the otherside being a squad based game? I must admit, after spending so many months only painting singles, the idea of painting more than one of anything at a time fills me with dread- I have 2 thunder archers and 2 katanaka Snipers in my queue this month and I don't know how I'll cope! 🙃

I've given myself a bit of a break after feeling productive last month and to actually play some games (my last blossom crew did well last week in their first outing), but I did manage to get this samurai painted this week. Painted primarily using drybrushes I very much had in mind something @Diddicksaid last month along the lines of acheiving a good time spent/result achieved ratio. This took me about 2 hours (or 3 x-files episodes) and I'm quite happy with it. The tones and colours are neutral as being a versatile model it can go into any of my Ten Thunders crews (all of which are painted in different schemes).

20220508_215733.thumb.jpg.7fa7fa0fda0ab534d220397061b65467.jpg

Samurai looks good :D

I would not paint a malifaux Crew in this manner unless i don't care about it. The possibility of painting the models individually is what makes Malifaux (and other skirmishers i guess) more appealing to me than most army-size games from a painting perspective

I come from 40k and i painted a whole wardrobe full of stuff, sometimes in batches of like 30 Miniatures at once, so i can paint like i am a factory, but it's not as much fun anymore. I think i can do The Other Side if i apply all the shortcuts and only do 1 Unit at a time.

For this month pledge I'll do something for the flowers and showers competition, so will be a secret pledge 🤫

About the tips, i always use plastic cement for the minis, either with the skinny metal tube for bigger pieces, or from a pot with a brush for more delicate pieces.

And for the gaps, if you check some of my stuff closely, or not so closely, you'll see I'm in no position to give advice on how to fill gaps.  I do have a tube of plastic putty to fill them, and sometimes i try, but usually either i don't pay attention until is too late, or i just don't care enough... don't judge me please XD

On 5/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, TimH said:

As long as there is no objection I'm planning to add the difference between what I calculated on the Other Side stuff and what I was apparently meant to calculate and then add that to the total. I'm making the pledge without those extra stones anyways.

There is none. I am sorry to not have mentioned this before, i was always a bit confused as to why your total was rather low but to distracted to mention. Go and get the high Score by all means  :D

• Haha 1

I have had my good buddy over who is an aspiring photographer, so I finally have some good shots on May's haul so far. Boy I painted a lot! :D The only unpainted from the McCabe crew is Desper, whom I will paint today. Expect more potat pics in the near future as my buddy is a busy man. Slight retouch in Lightroom by me to make the colors pop a bit more (pardon for the awful yellow of my table).

But for now, eye candy time! 

Lucas, horsed and de-horsed:

Ruffians "Leo" and "Bill":

Luna, the goodest girl:

Hucksters, aka the fake shit sellers of the wastes:

Couldn't include for this month: Sidir, Jessie (from the Wabderlust brigade) and the Alpinist, as they were done in April. 

Is a shameful advertisement for the photographer allowed? :D

Let me know what you think! 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

I have had my good buddy over who is an aspiring photographer, so I finally have some good shots on May's haul so far. Boy I painted a lot! :D The only unpainted from the McCabe crew is Desper, whom I will paint today. Expect more potat pics in the near future as my buddy is a busy man. 

But for now, eye candy time! 

Lucas, horsed and de-horsed:

DSC00320.thumb.jpg.4c998ca31fa171ed4fd905d81ea1a3ab.jpgDSC00321.thumb.jpg.f7abb4502486d081bbc0b40dab99dc9c.jpg

DSC00305.thumb.jpg.3dbe7df20fbd1a1b99af2eff582873c4.jpgDSC00306.thumb.jpg.82c8576e08a496d98855b99aa9f588fc.jpg

Ruffians "Leo" and "Bill":

DSC00311.thumb.jpg.070c3a5f0a7e83812398c7ec9d681396.jpgDSC00310.thumb.jpg.d04ecddcb64667711113721e6d645c57.jpgDSC00298.thumb.jpg.98825284d2905098f7644bd430a0e809.jpgDSC00299.thumb.jpg.377fe1a4fbac5585c4127ee6e94e2f6a.jpg

Luna, the goodest girl:

DSC00312.thumb.jpg.b22422598a9669aef783bc4d50074aeb.jpgDSC00313.thumb.jpg.1a3aa28211cedf5e5e769ac875036be2.jpg

Hucksters, aka the fake shit sellers of the wastes:

DSC00307.thumb.jpg.9d2fa489bb3ff835374d5bfef2c74fd5.jpgDSC00308.thumb.jpg.4b8c7e55354ea0b52b817cc37d1c1bf0.jpgDSC00309.thumb.jpg.9a56e9f040df0f97fd857a9aa45bb18e.jpgDSC00318.thumb.jpg.9c1c70c60e56ab96097020ae389a278c.jpgDSC00319.thumb.jpg.d1e9d612d523f2b4904ae9f9b083afb7.jpg

Couldn't include for this month: Sidir, Jessie (from the Wabderlust brigade) and the Alpinist, as they were done in April. 

Is a shameful advertisement for the photographer allowed? :D

Let me know what you think! 

Well done. Considering the time you are in the hobby, i am impressed, these look good and clean :D

If you want to give your buddy a hand get a background for the next pictures, like a lot of people here have, makes everything look more studio-like. Advertisement is okay for me as long as it is related to our hobby and not everyone trying to sell used clothes and stuff ;)

oh and btw imho super+ points for the goatee and his headwound from falling off the horse

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gheist said:

Well done. Considering the time you are in the hobby, i am impressed, these look good and clean :D

If you want to give your buddy a hand get a background for the next pictures, like a lot of people here have, makes everything look more studio-like. Advertisement is okay for me as long as it is related to our hobby and not everyone trying to sell used clothes and stuff ;)

Thank you for your kind feedback! :) I'll try and get a background for the next shooting.

This was his first macro series, he is more aiming to be a portrait photographer. His Instagram is accessible here (under the name @boldogsvejk in case the link shouldn't work).

I'll post the rest of the figures a little later to not fill up the thread, but got some Pandora goodness and a super secret diorama for this month's Showers and Flowers competition... (Who needs sleep, anyway?) :D

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

A quick question: models finished for the Showers and Flowers challenge need to be kept secret until the show's over. Can they be still counted into May's soulstones? Or they are out of the challenge?

In previous ones I just recorded myself for 'competing in x you'll see it afterwards'  Im sure that'll work for here as its not like were gunna throw people out for not posting all pics in the month haha.

• Thanks 1