2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Shock & Awe

Welcome to the May edition of the painting challenge. 

I personally got crushed by university work and other things this past month, but it's time to get back in gear! 

I look forward to seeing what everyone is painting up this month

If you are new to the challenge and what to know the ins and outs - Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

For all our regular contributors, make sure you've submitted your SS counts for the previous two months in the Google Form. Remember, @Gheist and I are not going to enter them for you ;)

For our Masterclass topic: 

Building & Gap Filling

Do you have any building tips? 

What glues do you use?

Most importantly, what do you use to fill gaps? How do you go about it... especially with those wicked big gaps (looking at you Malisaurus).  

- Shock & Awe

• Like 1

Caedrus, pledging in!

For the month of May, I will be hoping to finish off 65 SS of Bandits!

Nu4QJh4.jpg

So. Much. Brown.

That means: 3 Bandidos (15SS), 2 Convict Gunslingers (16SS), Mad Dog (10) and 3 Wokou (24).

That's only nine minis. Maybe I'll get ambitious!

Have an awesome and wonderful May, my friends!

• Like 2

Brown, pledging in!

Hoping to finish off my Marshals this month; Lady Justice, Scales of Justice, The Judge, a Domador, an Exorcist & a second Death Marshal gives me one of everything (&2 DMs).  That comes to 46ss for the month.

Stretch target: Finish off any of the straggly bits I've got on the list:

• Hoffman's pylon markers
  • The remaining Thalarian Queller (bad start to that paint job, need a way to rescue her)
  • Rebase Phiona Gage & 2 field reporters to match my basing for the journalists from March.
  • Paint Sonnia 2 to complete the witch hunters keyword

If I get those 6 marshals & any one of the extras done I'll be a happy painter!

• Like 2

As last month showed me I love digging into my big box of primed and based models and paint whatever I like best at that moment. I think that there will be a lot of Gremlins joining the fray this month though.

To the topic of gap filling, as I am asked this very frequently (especially on my Malisaurus). I usually use green stuff. The big game change for me when working with GS was using sculpting pens to smooth out the work. The other way to fill gaps that are larger or can be sanded used to be milliout that I stirred into a paste with some Isopropanol alcohol (thanks Marco Frisoni for that knowledge).

Nowadays I use some sprue goo or a little bit of glue applied with a brush that creates kind of a weld on the model that I remove with a hobby knife/sanding tool carefully (that's what I use for most clothes)

• Like 1

I'm also in the greenstuff as a filling agent crowd.

With this months theme in mind I will probably look to paint up my Malisaurus, maybe Serena Bowman, maybe some Bultgin and Geryon. Basically anything that had any significant amount of filling applied to it. From my past models the most significant filling work has been done on the two titans (Horo and Alpha Crawler) who had some real big gaps to fill. Hopefully the work on Malisaurus turns out as well. For my application I use a general purpose hobby tool.

• Like 1

Lost a bit of my drive last month due to "life-stuff", but with the "Flowers and showers" competition coming up I think I'm ready to get back to some more painting. Meaning I probably won't have much to show for a while, though I hope I can squeeze in some time to finish some other models from my desk.

We'll see 🤞

• Like 1

I will finish the whole The other Side starter Box, which is mostly done but too late for April.

And then i don't know, i have built and primed several Crews ready so i go with what i fancy at the moment. So that update will come with pictures from the other side Starter

• Like 1

My plan this month is to complete some odd bits and pieces I have to complete for various keywords. Primarily finishing off my last blossom crew with some thunder archers, katanaka Snipers and Yamaziko. I also have a half finished Samurai to compete.i have some gokudo for my yan lo crew to do and I have a couple of seishin to paint to accompany Kirai. Whilst working on the seishin I'm hoping to work in some drowned as well as they're the very last models I need for Urami- if I can get it to work I will try and tie those in with an entry for flowers and showers. If I get all that done, as a change of pace I'll do a test model for the tricksy crew I want to start next month. Its been a while since I've painted green skin so I could do with some feedback before I start the crew in ernest. This all seems ambitious now I write it down!

• Like 1

Life stuff happened, so didn't finished my pledged models for April :(  Will try to finish Asami Shintaku and/or Lady Yume for May, but May has a lot of life stuff planned, so might just try to finish something quick and dirty for the 6stone enforcer level.  I did two Depleted (6stones total) for my April mulligan on the 1st of May, so maybe it'll be more Honeypot stuff.

Also, quick question, does anyone have tips on sharing pics here?  I seem to have hit my attachment size limit, so how can I share more pics?

16 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

Also, quick question, does anyone have tips on sharing pics here?  I seem to have hit my attachment size limit, so how can I share more pics?

I use a free imgur acct, load em there and attach the links to this post.  Works great.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

Do you just post the link or insert from url or other?  Do I need to clean out my over limit attachments first?

So looking at your post in last month you are using Imgur. When you select an image on imgur you will have several options.

Image link which is what you used will display like so https://imgur.com/SZQ5ysF and just give a hyperlink to thew imgur website.

If you instead select Direct Link

SZQ5ysF.jpg

You will post the image in the forum even with your image allowance on the site spent. Keeping vaguely relevant with my choice of example image, some huge join lines on those shoulders now completely hidden by a little bit of greenstuff magic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimH said:

So looking at your post in last month you are using Imgur. When you select an image on imgur you will have several options.

Image link which is what you used will display like so https://imgur.com/SZQ5ysF and just give a hyperlink to thew imgur website.

If you instead select Direct Link

Thank you very much!

Took me a while to find Direct Link, since that wasn't showing up as an option from the "Post" page on imgur.  I had to back out of the post into my full gallery then grab each pic individually to get the Direct Link option.

Thanks again.

Initial May painting (mulligan painting for April) here for on topic-ness

NPqW36i.jpg

• Like 2

I’m planning on getting some doggies done this month for my Titania crew, so it’s the whole Howling Box for me. 

I’ll also be throwing in a mystery model for the competition I think, so we’ll have to wait on that one. 

Goal is to double up this month and get my mulligan back from last month ;) 

Just got a set of brushes from Artis Opus as well and I am itching to use them. Their brush boxes are lovely! I’m going to have to try not to get paint all over it :) 
568DCBC6-B3DF-4D0F-A86E-1C5120BA9F9A.thumb.jpeg.f65764b2339328434a0240055df6f55f.jpeg

Edited by Shock & Awe
Picture was sideways
  • Like 2

My output last month was due to a more scattered focus on which models to paint. Keeping all my undercoated models together meant that if inspiration struck I'd just grab it and start laying down some paint. With the UK nationals 199 days away and wanting to field fully painted crews I've started to organise models a little more to have what I feel I need ready (then, because of my personality traits I'll rip up all my organised plans and paint what I want, because Hell, I'm not the boss of me!)

this month sees the Emissary, Winston Finnigan, and Vernon & Welles all heading towards the finish line. Then I hope to paint the NexKids as they are my favourite Master to play atm so will certainly feature in the Tournament.

Gaps - well originally I had been using Milliput mixed with water, but that didn't really work. Switched to Plastic putty... which I'm not sure I'm using correctly (you'll see the Emissary's face later) So I might try the IPA with Millput mentioned above and see if that yields better results

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone, I'm Demi from Hungary, new to the forums and relatively new to the miniature painting hobby. I have been painting since January 2022 and will attend my first tournament at the end of May! 

Therefore, I'm currently working on two crews: finishing up Lucas McCabe (my crew, partially already done but I'm not sure if I should share pics here as they weren't done in May) and my partner's Toil 'n Trouble Pandora set for the competition.

Already got my calendar set up to include some painting every day, wish me luck! :D

• Like 7

18 hours ago, DemiMurgos said:

Hi everyone, I'm Demi from Hungary, new to the forums and relatively new to the miniature painting hobby. I have been painting since January 2022 and will attend my first tournament at the end of May! 

Therefore, I'm currently working on two crews: finishing up Lucas McCabe (my crew, partially already done but I'm not sure if I should share pics here as they weren't done in May) and my partner's Toil 'n Trouble Pandora set for the competition.

Already got my calendar set up to include some painting every day, wish me luck! :D

Welcome on board aaaand best of luck to you :D

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

Thank you! :)

A quick question: should the pieces done be uploaded one by one, or in one post at the end of the month?

Most people do a month-end dump of everything. But for many of us, that's because that's when we remember to show our work (or when we deadline-driven smash out stuff at the end of the month). It's perfectly fine to post models as you finish them, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:
41 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

Thank you! :)

A quick question: should the pieces done be uploaded one by one, or in one post at the end of the month?

Most people do a month-end dump of everything. But for many of us, that's because that's when we remember to show our work (or when we deadline-driven smash out stuff at the end of the month). It's perfectly fine to post models as you finish them, in my opinion.

Or 3 days after the end of the month when I finally remember to take pictures of things I finished weeks before.... 

Yah I agree with cats that I think its personal preference.  In the past the end of month drop made a bit more sense as the person running the competition had to enter the totals into their spreadsheet, so I felt putting all the models at once with a 'heres my total stones' and tagging the person was just the easiest for them to do their work.  This year since you fill in the form yourself, there's less of a need for a large end of month dump.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2