Flowers and Showers Painting Competition

Waldo

Flowers-and-Showers_Logo_DarkBackground.png

Welcome, welcome, to another fantastic annual painting contest! This time, we’re getting into the seasonal spirit with Flowers and Showers 2022! 

So, SPRING into action! Get your brushes, paints, and water effects ready, because this contest will be wet and wild!

Miniatures can be submitted any time during the contest, though none will be showcased until the day voting begins. Submissions will be accepted from now until midnight EST (UTC -5) on May 25th, 2022. We encourage you to submit your entries early as no submission will be accepted after the cutoff, no exceptions. If you need to make any changes to your upload prior to May 25th at midnight EST (UTC -5), please contact @Hobby Wyrd via PM on the Wyrd forum. Entries are to be submitted HERE

Wyrd Painting Contest Rules can be found here.

Submitted models will need to meet at least one of the following criteria, regardless of category:

• Incorporate RAIN into the model. This can include water drips, wet clothing, puddles, or just about any other way you can include rain into the piece.
  • Incorporate FLOWERS into the model. Flowers, as in plural, and they should be used in a way that flows well with the model and theme.

There are 3 Categories this time around, with the same rules as previous contests[link]:

• Single Model
  • Diorama
  • Over Achiever (a special category for professional painters, more info can be found below)

We’re also making some fairly significant rules adjustments this time around to make it fairer and more fun for everybody participating.

• Each participant will only be able to submit one (1) entry. This means that each participant may only enter one category.

We’re also adding a new contest category, called “Over Achiever.” This category is for those who paint at a professional (or semi-professional) level that will provide those participants with an extra challenge. Over Achiever entries may be a Single or a Diorama (and we reserve the right to move an entry into a category we deem more fitting).

As usual, Wyrd has the final say on which category an entry may be, so if there is a piece in another category that we feel is better suited for the Over Achiever category, we reserve the right to move it to the category we deem most appropriate. Winners of previous contests will automatically have their entry placed into the Over Achiever category for the following two (2) Wyrd Painting contests they enter.

Prizes -

The Single Model Category will have the following prizes:

• Community Poll - Based on Community vote for each model in the Category
    • 1st Place: $75 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 2nd Place: $50 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 3rd Place: $25 in Wyrd webstore credit  

The Diorama Category will have the following prizes:

• 1st Place: $150 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 2nd Place: $100 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 3rd Place: $50 in Wyrd webstore credit  

The Over Achiever Category will have the following Prizes:

• 1st Place: $300 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 2nd Place: $200 in Wyrd webstore credit
    • 3rd Place: $100 in Wyrd webstore credit  

‘Best of’ Awards! The Wyrd staff will look at all the categories and vote to determine the winner for each of the following (note: these are NOT voted upon by the community).

• Best of Single Models Flowers and Showers 2022: $100 USD cash prize (via PayPal)
  • Best of Diorama Flowers and Showers 2022: $150 USD cash prize (via PayPal)
  • Best of Over Achiever Flowers and Showers 2022: $200 USD cash prize (via PayPal)
  • Best of Wyrd Miniature Entry: Two Nightmare boxes of the winner’s choice (from a list of available Nightmare boxes)

Voting

Active forum members are able to vote once the contest has concluded. Active forum accounts with a minimum of ten posts (and not all from the same day) will be able to vote. This is to avoid unsportsmanlike behavior. Voters may vote for their favorite submissions, three times per category. Once voting has concluded, we will tally up the number of votes to decide the winner of each category.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

A question as a first-time-ever contender: do the figures have to be set on their base size? Like a 30mm figure can only be submitted on a 30mm base, etc. Thanks!

Im stupid and cant read, ignore me. haha

32 minutes ago, DemiMurgos said:

A question as a first-time-ever contender: do the figures have to be set on their base size? Like a 30mm figure can only be submitted on a 30mm base, etc. Thanks!

No, I can't see anything in the rules that requires that. You don't have to use wyrd figures, so you would see a variety of basing anyway. 

Lots of people will use wyrd figures that they have put on the right size base because they want to use them in the game still. 

• Thanks 1

I think I submitted my entry properly, but I'm not sure. I did not have access to the galleries, so had to upload in a different manner than previous contests.

Please reach out to me if I did this wrong  

9 hours ago, tyler simmons said:

I have a question. Would it be considered a diorama if it's a single painted mini the original base, with additional features or would that still be considered a single model. 

To my understanding of the rules, it counts as a diorama it if the focus is more on the base/diorama rather than the complexity of the painting of the mini itself. But I'd wait for an official answer.

3 hours ago, DemiMurgos said:

To my understanding of the rules, it counts as a diorama it if the focus is more on the base/diorama rather than the complexity of the painting of the mini itself. But I'd wait for an official answer.

Thank you for the help, it's my first time doing one of these things and I'm still trying to grasp the terminology.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tyler simmons said:

Thank you for the help, it's my first time doing one of these things and I'm still trying to grasp the terminology.

Same here bud, let's do our best! :D Worst case scenario, the organizers have the right to re-categorize an entry to whichever genre it fits (even to the overachiever rank), so I am sure it will eventually land in the good place.