Help against Jack

Drunken Monkey

Holderio fellow Bayouans,

I have a full Bayou collection and I think the Master I face the most in our community lately is Jack Daw.

I never stand a chance. The one playing Jack is a very strong player so, no big deal. But the last game i conceded at the begining of turn 3, even though I usualy play till the end no matter how it looks. That time we had a real non game and i would have lost all my miniatures by just activating them in turn 3 with no chance to prevent any damage besides a few Soulstones i had left... It was the first time I met the new Jack.

For me it always felt as if Jack and his crew have the better evasion, hit harder and have the better movement tricks then everything i find in the Bayou😅

Could you give me some advise? What would you play as Master/Crew? What do I have to watch out for or how should I work around Jacks Crew at different Strategies or Schemes?

You must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. And we have the ultimate tool to deal with fear - The Inferiority Complex! Ruthless beaters with free focused from walking can kill the Hanged and Daw himself pretty fast. Ook Whiskey Golem is expensive, but he hits very hard and can make up to 4 min 3 attacks.

My favourite master to face Daw is Ophelia - you don't care much about being staggered if you just stand and shoot, and with Sammy you turn hazardous damage from Betrayal upgrade into cards (extra resources to shoot enemies to death). 

Ophelia is not that good in strategies/schemes that need walking to the other side of the table. For such pools I would take Zipp, Zoraida or Mah to outmanoeuvre the enemy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of playing Ophelia as well, but I did not play her that much so far😅 Guess thats the opportunity to gather experience😇

Inferior Complex is is a good choice for sure, but terrifying is not my main problem. My problem usually is more that I tried to outrun Jack with different Crews, but I don't know how. The crew has that many movement tricks and is mostly uneffected by any terrain which give em a huge advantage. I can't even hide behind walls and buildings or close gaps with pianos or underbush markers to slow them down.

Seems I really have to play the big bonks and go for kills? Kinda sad... but if it helps🤔

Thank you very much

• 4 weeks later...

I play Jack, and I think the best way to beat him is to not play his game.  If you try to outkill him and tie him up, you will likely run into trouble.  He wants you to fight him, he wants to drag you down and debuf you, and he wants to control areas on the table.  Taking big bad models is what Jack wants you to do, he will just destroy your hand, jump on your big baddy, and then kill him. As a Jack player I run into my greatest problems when they out activate me and out scheme me.  Jack has few good ways to deal with schemers besides killing them and manually picking up scheme markers.  All are action intensive, and he does not have a lot by his nature.  Bayou has many cheaper models that can scheme with decent speed as well as fast-moving options that can spam actions.  Roosters come to mind, but you don't need anything to expensive.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds reasonable, but Gremlins are pretty squishy too. Especially the low coast ones.
I am a little afraid that this leaves me with almost no models left in turn 3. And outnumbering with more models does not really do the job early in the game due to the pass tokens either. Jack can just wait and pass until he knows, where to catch the Schemers🤔

13 hours ago, Drunken Monkey said:

Sounds reasonable, but Gremlins are pretty squishy too. Especially the low coast ones.
I am a little afraid that this leaves me with almost no models left in turn 3. And outnumbering with more models does not really do the job early in the game due to the pass tokens either. Jack can just wait and pass until he knows, where to catch the Schemers🤔

Jack is pretty good at killing any model, regardless of how tough or squishy they are.  He has solid access to execute.  Bayou has good card draw, which Jack dislikes and makes his job harder. In my experience, Jack's greatest weakness is his crew's action economy (it is very low).  Attack that. With good card draw and Bayou's ability to out activate and scheme, Jack will likely be in a game of catch up throughout the game which he can't win easily.

• Thanks 1