Expanding Masters.

Paul Otega

I’m looking to enlarge my master pool to 3 for each of my factions (this is more for in the future). So far I have these & looking for some thing different to what I have.

Guild- Perdita & Basse.

Ressas- Kirai & Seamus

TT- Misaki & Youko

im tending to be leaning towards Lady J, Asami, Molly or Reva. But not sure how different they play compared to what I have. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Otega said:

I’m looking to enlarge my master pool to 3 for each of my factions (this is more for in the future). So far I have these & looking for some thing different to what I have.

Guild- Perdita & Basse.

Ressas- Kirai & Seamus

TT- Misaki & Youko

im tending to be leaning towards Lady J, Asami, Molly or Reva. But not sure how different they play compared to what I have. Any suggestions?

So your prob looking for something different than what you have to compliment your current 2 

So for guild you have 2 shooty gangs so you prob want a crew who can scheme and push for opponents side of board. Hoffman, lady j, or nelle would be good shouts 

For ressers you prob have 2 mobile crews with some decent killing power. You might want some staying power so Jack Daw, yanlo or vonsctook might be a good shout. 

For thunders you have a lot covered by misaki and youko. Maybe yanlo or asami might be a good shout but otherwise any master can be a good addition 

So when I think about expanding masters there's 3 possible ways to go.

1) Find what you like, and get more of that.  Like if you like high damage masters and you got 1 to 2 from a faction, grabbing the third one won't change up the way you play, but a lot of your skill will transfer to the new master, so you'll prolly enjoy em just as much as your other 2.

2) Find holes and fill em.  I tend to think of masters as certain playstyles, whether they're high damage, high scheme, high movement.  There's obviously other criteria like hand pressure / card draw / tarpit / etc that you can assign to a master/key, but since the most common ways to score need markers or interacts / speed / damage, so i kind of start with those and see if my crews fall heavily into one to two of those general styles.  And if they do, maybe try and find something else on the other side of the graph to complement it.

3) Grab something new / hot.  Less recommended, but if something catches your eye thats either new or seems to be blowing up the charts, it could be a fun switch as there's a lot of reps / podcasts / articles out bout the hot options.  I say its less recommended because just cause some top players can make a master / list sing, doesnt mean it works for you.  Additionally nerfs / etc tend to catch up with these eventually.

With that said, either option 1 / 2 is good.  In the past I've recommended option 2 (as it's easy to tell someone what master they could add to fill out some diversity in possible playstyles), but lately I'm not sure if that's necessarily the best option cause if a master just plays radically different than what you're used to / like... will you put in enough reps to get good with them?  Or will you just always say 'yeah, nah, i'll play something I like more even if its going to struggle a bit' (or hire OOK to fill gaps, or second master, etc).

There's also a meta component which is hard to compute.  Cause I like some of the more control / interact masters, but I know if I was playing in a heavy aggression meta they'd never be viable.  So I have difficulty recommending those kinds of crews without knowing what the local group is like... cause I'm sure some of the 'dead' masters around here are more due to opponent's 'favorite' masters than the dead master themself.

As for your specific question, I think all 4 of those masters have good things for them.

Justice - So since I live with a J player, I'm a bit biased in thinking shes pretty good / versatile, but that's with a big cavait that she's not known for being great in marker / interact pools as there's nothing in key that does it, and a lot of her key isnt very fast.  With the right support she can make up for it, but nellie/lucius have way more in the marker / interact world than J. 

Asami - this one is tougher as misaki / youko span more than basse/perdita.  I think asami is pretty solid because her summon can be so versatile.  As you can flip between summoning a big scary mob, or a few schemers.  I think it'd be a interesting pick, but there's a lot of very good thunders masters who all do things a bit differently so I'd honestly recommend any of em, hah.

Molly - So this one is interesting mainly because of the support / marker removal that Molly1 can do.  In GG2 / new titles a little marker removal can make a matchup.  So of that or reva I'd prolly lean to molly only for that reason (I'm also pretty terrible at Reva, but I know that's me). 

@dannydb out of those 3 Ressa ones Jackdaw has crossover with Kirai & Nellie could be a good on saving some money. Von Sctook could be a interesting choice.

@muraki yes No2 is more what I’m thinking, I’m not one for meta style of play or tournament scene (though you never know in the case of the latter). Nellie seems to be a good call & may jump Lady J now.

Ressas looks like the one that I’m going to have problems with, though. Now that maybe jackdaw or vonsctook may enter the equation.