2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Gheist

Its April - i feel like this year is zipping past without waving buuuut whatever!

Onwards with more awesome Paintjobs on outstanding miniatures!

If you are new to the challenge and want to know the ins and outs - Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

For this month specially themed thingy I choose to elect *drumroll*................

Gadgets!  Please post you favourite gadgets that have helped you a TON in the hobby and you never ever want to be without them again and/or post the gadgets you spend a s***ton of money on and which are now used to keep the window open, please with Photo and background Story ;)

downdown.jpg.3b916a667fec0e0f034776760c6e195d.jpg

I hope this keeps being as awesome as it has been so far, have fun and enjoy your time!

Allright. I'll be doing the Rest of Cadmus which i have already made bases for.

After that i will look towards Frontier and Ivan Title Box as well as TOS Starter. So this month will be mostly spend painting i when away from work.

• Like 1

I haven't generally posted what models I plan to paint as it's mostly been about feverish inspiration while trying to get in under the monthly deadline, but given I'm in a league with a fully painted bonus and my Oni keyword is 90ish% done and I'm planning to solo Asami2 and just picked her up, I guess I'm planning to paint Asami2 and Lady Yume this month.

Assembled them over the last few days. 

<removed pics of assembled models as I've hit attachment limit and would rather share pics of painted models>

Edited by Cats Laughing
Removed attachments as over limit
  • Like 2

I'm not locking myself into any specific models this months pledge as I have no idea how much time I will have to hobby. The covid has hit my workplace something fierce and I've been covering a lot more shifts than normal. If possible I'd like to continue getting tOS models painted up and try getting some of the starter set and the Darkest Depths models painted. If I have less time I may turn to the Malifaux pile of shame and get some comparatively smaller models done for my pledge (Asami2 and Dreamer2 would keep me to the tyrant pledge). Or perhaps something in between those two extremes like Mysterious Emissary, Malisaurus and Serena Bowman. Something will get done, what exactly that something is will be dependant on time constraints!

Not sure what I'm painting this month, but will probably be either Lucius or some more Explorers.

As for fun gadgets here's one that I've always loved and is only a couple of bucks. I've seen it go by many names but generally I think it's called a paint brush puck. You just stick it to the inside of your paint water cup and swish you're brush through it, and it knocks all the paint right off. Even after long paint session when I go to clean out my brush with soap, they'll be practically nothing on it. I got mine from either broken toad or scale 75 but there's plenty of different kinds out there.

paintpuck.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My favourite hobby gadget is bizarely produced by citadel of all companies.

99239999105_ThirdArmPaintingHandle01.jpg

Despite them putting out a lot of real dross hobby supplies (branded water pot springs to mind) I really love the assembly handle. I imagine other companies produce these as well but this is the one I have. Granted it is geared much more towards models that are being assembled direct onto the base as opposed to being attatched once painted but I've had some great mileage out of this thing (nicknamed the doc oc assembly stand).

Other than that my other hobby related gizmo I love is the lightbox. Mine is on the cheaper side, made by Puluz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wobbly_goggy said:

This month I have organised my Malifaux models at last! I will be painting something from this pile.

I don’t use any gadgets, unless a 20 year old MDF GW paint station counts?

9147283C-FA21-4E03-8403-289FBBEFC7A3.jpeg

I think if you are using it for 20 Years it should count under good gadgets :D

As far as i am concerned the only gadget i right now own thats complete and utter trash imho is this one

91_300x300.jpg.7df2321b054a4b4d731952d70b002ff8.jpg

i think it is meant to work on a bigger piece without touching it and to catch overspray from your airbrush. it funnels a lot of dry pigments while airbrushing back unto your miniature thus makin it look slightly worse, the Turntable is superwobbly and completely unsuited for heavier Models and you can't get a decent angle on anything for love nor money unless you are half as broad in the shoulders as i am which is already not superbroad to begin with. Or you just have 4 Joints on each arm i don't know :D

Upside is i since buying own a lighbox with a Drawer.

The biggest upgrades in my painting life still remain to be wet palette and dropper bottles for anything liquid thats needed for painting and airbrushing, otherwise i have only drawn blanks so far ;)

• Like 2

Finally finished these guys, and with that I am actually done with my woes! (...for now)

20220404_223920.thumb.jpg.154b64f078b1637b435ab1f1cb30a7b3.jpg

That puts me at 25SS, but I got some more nightmares down the pipeline that might just pop up here before the month is over.

And what would a finished keyword be without a group photo?

20220404_225054.thumb.jpg.60003c177bc45751fe0ec905e87287ae.jpg

• Like 9

Love the theme! I use a number of gadgets and will be sharing them over my next entries this month.

Starting with magnetic miniature holder. This is a sample I got from a buddy running a successful Kickstarter (the same one who designed magnetic A-Case for transporting minis). It features 5 interchangeable tops and I typically have a mini on each. Helps a lot as I have full access from all angles of minis/base. And since I magnetize all my bases anyway, it's a win-win solution for me.

magnetic-grip.jpg

As for my pledge, I will be starting April with Iconic Sonnia model. I will be working on her over the stream later today (3 pm EDT / 9pm CET / 8pm UK).

painters-challenge-April-2022-WIP0.jpg

And in the meanwhile I slapped some paint on this classic M1E Carrion Effigy for quick 4 soulstones.

painters-challenge-April-2022-01.jpg

@OctaBit - thanks for the Paint Puck tip, I need to give it a go

• Like 7

On 4/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, OctaBit said:

Not sure what I'm painting this month, but will probably be either Lucius or some more Explorers.

As for fun gadgets here's one that I've always loved and is only a couple of bucks. I've seen it go by many names but generally I think it's called a paint brush puck. You just stick it to the inside of your paint water cup and swish you're brush through it, and it knocks all the paint right off. Even after long paint session when I go to clean out my brush with soap, they'll be practically nothing on it. I got mine from either broken toad or scale 75 but there's plenty of different kinds out there.

paintpuck.jpg

Ordered!

• Like 1

Caedrus, reporting in!

I was on a bender of building, so I decided to build the entire Bandit keyword.

Then, I had a little bit of time with the airbrush, so everything has been undercoated.

The minis are in Scalecolor Red Leather, washed with Vallejo Smoke, which I always recommend for work leather.

The bases have received a Beasty Brown basecoat.

TIEdRv8.jpg

So, in short, everything is brown. I'll be focusing on Parker and Miss Demeanour, but who knows what I can achieve when I am procrastinating from actual, real, paying work?

Wish me luck, and have a great day!

Caedrus.

• Like 3