A snapshot of Malifaux World Series data.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:36 AM, Scoffer said:

Errata does fix double master issues. A fresh example: McMourning title was changed to prevent infinite loop of Seamus attacks in a double master crew.

It does fix some issues  (although that was a remarkably game breaking busted issue), but in my view the errata primarily targets single master formats.

Otherwise some of the errata choices seem pretty odd, as the nerfs hit models that aren't necessarily as problematic in doubles. Few errata seem to hit double master combos specifically.

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Otherwise some of the errata choices seem pretty odd, as the nerfs hit models that aren't necessarily as problematic in doubles. Few errata seem to hit double master combos specifically.

I think that if something is problematic in singles it's problematic in doubles as well, because nobody is obliged to hire a second master when playing doubles. And general approach (as I see it) is "things that feel too strong deserve to be nerfed even if things that counter them exist". 

• 2 weeks later...

We had a singles event with a 15 stone OOK and versatile limit!

Outcasts really cleaned up! And the top five resser players only lost to ressers and outcasts xD

Not terribly useful data cuz it is a special format, but a lot of people do like to play single masters in keyword. So would be relevant for that player base!

Screenshot_20220502-105222_Chrome.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 3:36 AM, Scoffer said:

I think that if something is problematic in singles it's problematic in doubles as well, because nobody is obliged to hire a second master when playing doubles. And general approach (as I see it) is "things that feel too strong deserve to be nerfed even if things that counter them exist". 

My take is that double masters is a higher power format, so the bar is higher for nerfing things.

Same way that 15 stone limit on OOK and versatiles is a lower power format, so has a different meta.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

My take is that double masters is a higher power format, so the bar is higher for nerfing things.

Is it though? Data are scarce but I would like to know if  2 masters list win more against single master... I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Just now, SEV said:

Is it though? Data are scarce but I would like to know if  2 masters list win more against single master... I wouldn't bet my house on it.

More options is almost always a higher power level format unless those options suck.

But for some examples, Molly is way stronger in doubles than singles.

Same with Hoffman 2 allegedly.

So it does change things.

4 hours ago, SEV said:

By default it is a higher power format because it's just added options.

I've not seen anything recently on it, but since people take a 2 master list when they think it's better than a 1 master list, it ought to look better in the direct comparison. 

I think it's safe to say that in some game set ups some 2 master combinations are stronger than some single master, but I've never seen results from testing where a player was forced to use 2 masters for a series of games.

I don't think the actual power level difference between the two formats is hugely significant though, so I think they probably have a very similar bar. 

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Avatar of Butter said:

I find data like this incredibly fascinating. Does anyone know if there is other stuff being tracked? I'd be interested in everything from percentage of stones spent of versatile models to scheme selection to individual master win percentage breakdowns...

Nope, just basic master stuff unfortunately!

55 minutes ago, Avatar of Butter said:

I find data like this incredibly fascinating. Does anyone know if there is other stuff being tracked? I'd be interested in everything from percentage of stones spent of versatile models to scheme selection to individual master win percentage breakdowns...

Crew construction data doesn't exist since it would require the MWS to collate the crews played. Currently they only require Master/Title to be submitted. That said scheme selection data and the rate at which they have been scored has been collated and reviewed on the Discord at the end of each event. Same goes for the Master win percentages and frequency of play. So we know, for example, that Research Mission is massively overperforming in every Strategy save for Symbols of Authority.