If you could only bring two masters

Jordon

I have a tourney coming up and space is pretty limited. I can probably only bring two crews and a couple of versatile models. It got me thinking. Which crew(s) would people generally feel is well versed enough to take on most schemes, strats, and opposing crews?. I'm mostly talking about an in-keyword crew. I guess you could pull models from the other crew you'd be brining as well. Obviously this isn't the most optimal way to play but it does open up some interesting discussion. 

So the question is... If you could only take two crews and a handful of versatile models, which would they be and why? 

My initial thinking would be something like Colette and Ironsides for example. I think both crews compliment each other and each focus on different aspects of the game. Colette has the mobility and ability to interact with ease but can't really give or take much damage. Ironsides can take a punch and give it just as hard but the crew is bubbled up and lacks real efficient schemers. 

An alternate approach would be something like Kaeris who I would consider a good all purpose list. She can tackle most things but doesn't really excel in any particular area. Marcus is another one who is pretty good all around thanks to his superior mobility and punchy models. 

Then the follow up question of which versatile models would you also include? Again space being a limiting factor. 

• Jordon changed the title to If you could only bring two masters

The question is do we include the titles, which effectively boosts the collection to 4 masters, but only 2 keywords.

With just two Masters (non-title) I'd likely go Colette (my favourite) and probably Hoffman but I'd also consider Ironsides or Sandeep all of whom I think have solid and different play.

For two keywords.. Colette again and now I'd most likely go Mei Feng, but Hoffman and Ironsides still get a long look. Sandeep gets bumped because I've hardly played him and not touched his title.

Rasputina looks superb now but haven't played her errata version and only one title look. Marcus is good but his play style doesn't bend great to my brain, at some point I need to explore if Molemen are now good. Kaeris I feel, while super versatile, I think is least complimentary to Colette (my auto take) - to be honest I think Kaeris and title might be the 'best' single keyword option Arcanists have, at least till I've explored the Raspy keyword post errata.

So I'm defaulting keywords, assuming proxies are allowed and taking Colette and her Performers and Mei and the Foundry. Feel like that gives you scheming, tricks, violence and resilience all while having multiple crews with first tier manoeuvrability which is a huge part of the current GG.     

• Like 1

The tourney I'm attending is allowing proxy titles so yes I would count one master as two. Which means a lot more flexibility and why taking 2 masters is not as detrimental as it once was. 

When factoring in titles, I feel like Ironsides is far and away the best. Both titles are vastly different from one another, which makes Ironsides cover a lot of bases all on her own. Unfortunately she really needs the Dredges in order to properly run her title.

I do love Colette but if I'm honest, her new title has let me down a bit. It does some cool things and looks decently fun and unique. However I do feel like there isn't as much of a difference between both versions as there are with the other masters. 

New Raspy looks great but I have no experience with her and both versions feel a bit limited until the new Kaltgeists come out. I do think both versions look great and I look forward to seeing them both in action. 

Kaeris is probably my most played master and the new title, while more restrictive, feels quite powerful. 

Sandeep compliments so many other masters that it's difficult not taking him. If I take Kaeris and Raspy, then I would only need a handful of other models to have a fairly comprehensive Sandeep list. Maybe just Banasuva, 1-2 wind gamin and Kandara (along with Sandeep himself) would be all I need to run a decent Sandeep list. 

11 minutes ago, Jordon said:

When factoring in titles, I feel like Ironsides is far and away the best. Both titles are vastly different from one another, which makes Ironsides cover a lot of bases all on her own. Unfortunately she really needs the Dredges in order to properly run her title.

I feel like Mei and her Foundry compete here. Mei-1 is OK, she herself is potentially lethal and the crew moves damn fast. As for Mei-2, well that crew is a brick, resilient and nasty. Although you hit the same twin issue of proxy Mei and no Rock Hopper.

To be honest, if Kaeris is your most played she is an easy choice, Kaeris-1 is perhaps the most flexible Arcanist crew available (still) and Kaeris-2 even with the Burning nerf looks very dangerous and at least different enough from K-1 to add some variety.

For me Colette is the always, default choice because I simply adore Showgirls, no other reason.

Sandeep is a always solid choice, as is any summoner, the biggest issues are he is complicated in both OG and title form and summoners are slower burns so game length becomes a perpetual issue. 

Hoffman would seem an obvious choice here. He is as tough as nails in both OG and title form, so much Armour, and both versions are deadly in different ways. In addition you have the advantage that he is available, so no proxy questions.

I'd be very comfortable taking Wildfire and Augmented as a pairing, and see no real reason that Academic couldn't also be taken, although I wouldn't because I simply don't know Sandeep well..  

• Like 1