Coopers Circus - an alternate guide and tactica to performers.

Regelridderen

@Vangerdahastdid a really nice introduction to Colette with a model breakdown etc., great effort.

I did however find that it didn’t work for me. It could be, it’s just showing it’s age, but rather than diving deep into the thread and dig for it’s gold, I decided in my arrogance to discard it promptly, and write up my own. One to be truly fabulous.

I shall not bore you with model breakdowns and going through each and every ability. Wyrd kindly printed cards and put those in the app. Instead I shall concentrate on what happens for me, when said models hit the table.

Mr. Cooper ( and his monkeys )

Our discrere circus director is just that. He is not the star of the show, his job is to enable his crew to perform their job, buy the the time for them to get into position, and be the diversion that draws the attention. His Flying Monkeys is the extend of his reach and serves multiple purposes.

Cooper likes to open the act by sending his F.A.R.T.S. ( Flying Air Rapid Travel Service ) into position, enjoying to see the opponent spend more valuable activation, then sending his own models up the board via Presto-Chango.

During this phase I like to sacrifice my monkeys to summon new ones. This serves multiple purposes : 1 killing monkeys allows you to draw cards, and 2 This allows the monkeys to stay up the board closer to the action, 3 it allows for the newly summoned monkeys to Focus and either move further into position or become Annoying.

After the initial push for my active models, Cooper and the F.A.R.T.S. will usually engage the main enemy bubble. Handing out Stun and Distracted, and using the F.A.R.T.S. to reposition enemies - and stone to reduce damage. Once in a while a monkey does a suicide bomb run to draw (out) cards and just shake up the enemy. I rarely get to use the Fade Away trigger, but when I do, I will often activate Cooper right away to ensure that he keeps the “audience” tied down. 

The sword trick is double edged. And you really need to consider the timing, if you’re gonna use it. You don’t want to suddenly see an enemy on your board half drop a scheme marker, and suddenly have two there.

Keep them tied in their seats. With Cooper’s 2” engagement zone and the ability to call on Monkeys to bring escaped opponents back, Cooper can ‘easily’ keep 3-4 opponents engaged. He might do “nothing”, but so will they. He doesn’t do damage, so healers and soul stone users are prime targets.

Remember that Presto-Chango is an abundant source of scheme markers in convenient places, so use it liberally.

The Fiery Duo ( Baritone Lola and Carlos Vasquez )

These two are my crowd pleasers, and my crowd loves pyrotechnics. They match each other for speed, so they’re quickly into position, and that position usually involves a couple of opposing models. Once they engage them, it’s all about Breath of Flame : Focus’ed and stones for Tomes. What’s important is not the initial damage, but to build up the Burning. Hit the weakest model for 3-4 and blast on to the next for 2-3 Burning on all, once both Carlos and Lola has done this, the fight is half-won. Just leave it to flames.

The next part is to avoid losing your squishy henchmen. DF6 and stones is nice, but the real kicker is handing out Distracted, Carlos has his Baton and Lola her Celebrity (and Finesse). When opponents are unable to hit back, they soon lose their spirit. Lola’s Celebrity is especially handy, when you can score Strats, schemes or deny the same, while handing out Distracted - Corrupted Ley Lines, Break the Line and Symbols are perfect for this ‘collateral scoring).

A cute trick when Carlos is stuck in melee is to have Carlos dump pyre markers where Cooper needs to Presto-Chango an opponent to. This really gets the audience all riled up, even more so when it scores you Research Mission.

Of course, their main focus is to score you points, but they also pack a mean punch, and as long as they deny your opponent the opportunity, you’re not losing out.

The Coryphee (Duet)

I loved the Coryphee for killing but even more so for scheming. It’s one of the fastest models in the game, and so I found that sending it to my flanks would allow it to deal with most encounters. I avoid the main confrontation with it, as it is only deceptively tough, and once it is faced with Armor ignoring or WP attacks it suffers big time. Flankers however, rarely have either.

With up to 6 Actions (4 general and two moves) the Coryphee can dump a huge amount of scheme markers in little time, while also accomplish Strats.

The Talent Pool

Above is my headliners, that always ensure the shows success. They do the brunt of the work, but they need a little help, and so I have some optional additions.

The Magically Trained Mercury 

I’m not a classically trained Arcanist. I’ve come from other factions and learned to make do with less, but no one can deny the luxury of a seventh card. The Showgirl I like for her Celebrity, so I like to bring this combination into Corrupted Ley Lines where there is a good use for interacts in passing the ball and Lure can deny scoring for your opponent. 

You really can’t deny the power of an unresisted Distracted with no need for cards or any other costs. It can make it or break it for the star talent in your crew. And with shielded and Manipulation, it takes some effort to take this model down.

Angelica Durand

Just kidding, I don’t take her. Her biggest thing is reposition via handing out a move, but the crew is already fast and hard to pin down. She falls short compared to the Magically Trained Mercury, that can basically do everything she does only with more versatility.

Ferdinand Vogel and his Beast Within

Vogel has a lot to offer. A WP attack, healing, shielded and being a scheme runner that is hard to pin down. His beast form has less to offer, but Mv 6 is great, so is a 2” reach, and if someone gets too close, suddenly the man appears 2” away fit to walk and interact. Vogel is always worth it.

Soulstone Miner

These fell out of favor with Arcanists when they suddenly weren’t made of cheese no more. But really, they still are… being able to pop up anywhere, block a path and tie a model down. While on the other hand re-filling your cache of stones - have you taken a look at what 3 stones gets you in other factions? And don’t forget that they can still score, you just have to telegraph it a bit more.

Diesel Powered Steam Arachnid Swarms 

I really envy those who got to play these pre-nerf, they must have been well and truly bonkers - and they’re still great. A good alternative to the duo, when facing shooty crews. The extra 3” from diesel allows them to get the charge bonus flip on damage, combined with their in-built ensures that you can cheat the damage. Once down to half, use the move to get out of combat and leave them to scheming.

And if you brought Vogel, heal them back up, just to spite your opponent.

The Incredible Electric Joss

Is an up and comer, but he has a lot of synergy, and make up for some of the crews shortcomings. Of course it is nice to have another beater, and this one likes to deal with armour - like in facing Thunders and dirty Arcanists. His bonus to command constructs allows him to keep up with the crew, but also extends his reach and utility when you bring stuff like spiders, Coryphee and Miners. Enemies will often lull themselves into a false security when tying up Joss - only to break into tears when he uses another model to score you points.

The Bottomless Soulstone Cache

I like to burn through stones with the crew. Buying triggers, and reducing the damage on the few blows an opponent actually lands. So 5-6 stones + monkeys (+ Soulstone Miner).You’ve also got 2-3 henchmen so you get plenty of opportunity to use them.

And I like to make a show out of the seemingly bottomless resources. It makes the opponent feel that this is an uphill battle. Do it on the stuff that really matters, like when he’s set up a focused attack to cheat in the severe, just hand him a negative flip etc.

Preferred Strats and Schemes

I wouldn’t say that Mr. Cooper has any limitations, and I’d bring him and his crew into most fights in GG2, and most times when I choose another crew it’ll be for Turf War - not because Cooper can’t do it, but more because Toni just insists on doing that. Break the Line is perfect, you meet for a fight, but while opponents need to beat you to score points, you score your points while beating your opponent. Any schemes involving markers are a breeze; Research Mission, Breakthrough and Spread The Out practically score themselves.

How a game goes

Usually I meet my opponent on his half and hit him hard in the beginning, burning through stones to keep my own crew alive through the initial retalliation. After that he’s locked down and unable to advance while my schemers Outflank and do their thing. Lola and Carlos are usually locked till Turn 4, and are then able to move on. While Cooper himself can go Hunt whatever outwitted me and got into my own backline.

Smuggler Colette

Of course Cooper is known for his weakness for lace and lingerie, but I’ll wait till the model comes out to play with the title.

-

Hope you enjoyed the read just half as much, as I like the crew 🤗

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Regelridderen changed the title to Coopers Circus - an alternate guide and tactica to performers.