2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Shock & Awe

Caedrus, checking in!

So, March has been crazily busy (in fact, 2022 has been), but I managed to get a little bit done. To complement February's to Wildfire ladies:

Lyr5TGI.jpg

84DN1lt.jpg

I bring you 39SS of the rest of the Wildfire team!

For my Eternal Flame proxy, I painted up a Brass arachnid (2SS):

wF35H82.jpg

and this guy is supported by Elijah Borgmann (9SS):

s4EPAeC.jpg

and three Firebranded (18SS):

DjgXwJu.jpg

CWHgjs4.jpg

Y6Ja7Z2.jpg

...and the final member of this happy crew (until I get an old, metal Brass Arachnid, and Deacon Hillcrest), is (8SS) the dramatic Carlos Vasquez!

ATAEtwO.jpg

These guys were fairly airbrush heavy, then transitioned glazed out with brush. I was fairly pleased with the coppery NMM on the spider and Elijah's sword. I think the red tones were overdone on Carlos, so I might go back and glaze some cooler colours into those funky trousers of his.

I'm going to set aside some time now to have a good look at everyone's amazing work, as I get ready for April!

Keep putting pigment to plastic, my friends!

Caedrus.

Β 

• Like 8

Here’s my meagre offering for this month. Struggled to find the time and will to do some painting this month. If wasn’t for this challenge I’d probably not have painted at all. So many thanks for running this. It is helping.

0EA7F089-57F4-46A5-9579-8A18AD85E829.thumb.jpeg.d90f5bb164c208186147d61d8f805443.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TimH said:

Got to ask, are those the legs from the giant of a man being held aloft by the M2E Flesh Contrsuct?

They’re from one of the zombies you get with Asura. It just seemed odd having two standing zombies next a crouching Asura so I made one coming out of a grave instead. Makes it look lots better.

Ok, final tally for the month was 7 journalists, to complete the keyword:

IMG_20220401_073249540.thumb.jpg.bb40abcd54aff2b8f797bf6e469242a5.jpg

Not up to the high standards set by other contributors on this thread, but neat enough for a few hours grabbed here & there around family & work πŸ™‚.Β  And I'm getting through the pile of shame pretty well; so far this year:

20 models painted (139ss)

5 keywords completed (Augmented, Witch hunter, Journalist, Chimera, Kin)

I didn't get Hoffman's pylons or the queller finished, And I need to rebase Phiona & the field reporters to match the rest of the crew.Β  I think that will be part of April's jobπŸ‘πŸ»

Well done everyone, another successful month, keep going! 😊

Β 

Β 

• Like 8

Well... didn't get enough time to finish the models I'm currently working on, so I'll end the month on 15SS for the 3 sorrows posted earlier.

Basing

When it comes to basing, I moslty paint models for gaming, so I tend to keep it rather simple. I do not have one method I use for all my models, but I try to keep it coherent within each keyword/crew and try to find a style I find fitting for each keyword.

In example for Tara's crew I've gone with a desert theme and just use Citadel Allegran earth more or less straight up and call it done.

Skjermbilde7.thumb.JPG.92162a311e8862e26ec72580e78d561f.JPG

Killjoy while he still belonged to Tara

For Pandora's crew I've used a texture roller to make cobbelstone from fimo clay and for Dreamer I've bought a nightmare-ish insert/topper.

Skjermbilde2.thumb.JPG.39e5db90def789f336b48c5d48226a1b.JPG

Alt. Poltergeist with a plain texture in fimo, painted to match the lighting from the model

Skjermbilde5.thumb.JPG.d5efe57dd9ee58bf5ea0e61d99a3db20.JPG

Alt. Blessed of december on a textured forest base, painted with varying colours like what you might find in the forest

Skjermbilde4.thumb.JPG.55d08398bc95d5b0702356daaba7db6b.JPG

Plain insert, painted to match a nightmare-ish theme (although on a Mature nephilim)

I do like working with inserts as they are quite easy to work with, but some of them does require a lot of time painting them up to match the standard of the model.

Regardless of whether it's an insert or a built/textured base, if it feels a bit bland I can add some tufts, static grass or small objects, or I can modify the insert with hacking off parts and/or sculpting of my own with green stuff/milliput.

274706388_5160688507328660_2432342911827882563_n.thumb.jpg.c62ca5a455ffcc2f0693e1e1b53821e2.jpg

Alt. Candy is such a small model, that the base needed something more. Here a pumpkin from GSW painted up to match the setting.

Skjermbilde.thumb.JPG.44a8573a219d013a0bdea0ded6fec860.JPG

The Carver being both Nightmare and Woe, made me modify the nightmare insert with elements of cobblestones, to fit the theme of both crews. (They're eyes in the ground, not red pineapples!)

And sometimes when I feel a model is just too small for it's base size or requires something extra I go to town on the base. (like I did with the Silent Knight)

Skjermbilde3.thumb.JPG.877c9ac2ff7a7a5e5c9b3635bcddddff.JPG

The silent Knight is a small model for a 50mm base so I hacked up a hanging tree (yes i know...) and added all kinds of forest bits I found in my bits box. Now this isn't very play-friendly, so I guess I'll just bring myΒ  reguler Killjoy to tournaments

Skjermbilde6.thumb.JPG.d8efae2d4f66a3a6a723b97aa022efbf.JPG

Alt Mr. Graves needed a source of light for my first attempt at OSL, so I added some bits from my bits-box to make a fire.

In conclusion, I think the most important thing to note when basing models is not which method you use, but for the model and the base to fit into the same theme and composition and (if it's game models) coherency of that theme within the crew.

And of course a good bits-box (or access to a good 3D printer) along with basic basing materials like static grass, sand, texture paint, putty, water effects, pigment powder and such helps a lot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

So I managed to get in one model during busy season this month, so got my enforcer pledge covered.Β 

I know basing was the challenge this month, but I've been holding off on basing until a keyword is complete so I can make sure they're all same-ish. Will probably assembly-line base next month as local league is requiring basing for their fully painted league points.

Anyway, here's my yellow-widow Jorogumo (9ss)

Β 

-2owyjs.jpg

-prxewa.jpg

• Like 5

This month I was mainly playing with proxies left over from my time doing the puppet riders, so have a puppet-esque yasunori + a levi proxy with a puppet alyce

5tIPD6n.jpg

MgNnAoP.jpg

And to actually paint something real for malifaux stuff, here's a Vik twin blades that has been staring me in the face for a bit and I just figured I'd get it off my table

R5n7u2A.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, Gheist said:

Β 

Aaaaaand i definitely need a better background for my Photographs. Any pro Tips ? :D otherwsie i'll go back to the white again i guess πŸ˜•

@GheistΒ loving the bright colors on this band, about the background, i use a black shirt too, i can't tell if this fabric is a bit shinny or completely matt, make sure you use a matt fabric.Β  Then when taking the picture adjsut the exposure, by lowering it down the dark will go darker very fast, while the bright colors will take much more to get darker.Β  Β Focus on the mini, and when it looks good to you take the picture.

It's very likely that at this point you can still distinguish the fabric in the background.Β  What i do to fix this is edit the picture in this way:
1- crop/center so the minis are framed how you want
2- add a vignette effect, this will darken the surroundings around the mini/s
3- there's an option called black point that mackes the blacks "blacker", increase it slightly paying attention to the mini, so the blacks in there are not affected.Β  Again, the black on the background will get darker much faster that the blacks on the mini.

Playing with those things you'll see a dramatic improvement on the final result πŸ‘Œ

Β 

• Thanks 1

@StrangleloveΒ now that's a major update, great job all around and the addition of toxic green works very well

@Kogan StyleΒ - great work, the paintjob on Calypso makes me think of Warmachine jacks - you really made it look fully 3D and the weathering is "spot on" :)

@MoinetbeardΒ - the base works so well, adds a lot of dynamism to this already dynamic model. Dark colors work very well too, I'd maybe only consider adding glowy eyes/some other bright spot.

@wobbly_goggyΒ - for a quick paintjob this looks really good :)

@GheistΒ - the bright colors are really striking and I really like this vibrant vibe you have in the crew

@CaedrusΒ - wow, painting so many minis using a similar effect my be really heavy on the brain but you've made it work very well :)Β 

@feagaurΒ - this is all about consistency and making sure you allocate some time on regular basis to the hobby and your pic shows that the effort pays offΒ 

@SpitfireΒ - love the Hag-lady, what company is that?

@TrimaselΒ - great incorporation of bright colors into dark color schemes

@OctaBitΒ - again, consistency brings quality and these are a good example

@Strangely BrownΒ - great looking crew, love the coherent approach to colors

@HawkoonΒ - some amazing bases you got there!

@Cats LaughingΒ - nice work on the Jorogumo with such vivid colors!

@murakiΒ - nice proxies and lovely colors :)Β 

I know it's April already but wanted to share two final minis painted back in March - Tara and Karina, bringing me to a total of 93 soulstones

painters-challenge-March2022-10.jpg

painters-challenge-March2022-9a.jpgΒ painters-challenge-March2022-9b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, Viruk said:

@StrangleloveΒ now that's a major update, great job all around and the addition of toxic green works very well

@Kogan StyleΒ - great work, the paintjob on Calypso makes me think of Warmachine jacks - you really made it look fully 3D and the weathering is "spot on" :)

@MoinetbeardΒ - the base works so well, adds a lot of dynamism to this already dynamic model. Dark colors work very well too, I'd maybe only consider adding glowy eyes/some other bright spot.

@wobbly_goggyΒ - for a quick paintjob this looks really good :)

@GheistΒ - the bright colors are really striking and I really like this vibrant vibe you have in the crew

@CaedrusΒ - wow, painting so many minis using a similar effect my be really heavy on the brain but you've made it work very well :)Β 

@feagaurΒ - this is all about consistency and making sure you allocate some time on regular basis to the hobby and your pic shows that the effort pays offΒ 

@SpitfireΒ - love the Hag-lady, what company is that?

@TrimaselΒ - great incorporation of bright colors into dark color schemes

@OctaBitΒ - again, consistency brings quality and these are a good example

@Strangely BrownΒ - great looking crew, love the coherent approach to colors

@HawkoonΒ - some amazing bases you got there!

@Cats LaughingΒ - nice work on the Jorogumo with such vivid colors!

@murakiΒ - nice proxies and lovely colors :)Β 

I know it's April already but wanted to share two final minis painted back in March - Tara and Karina, bringing me to a total of 93 soulstones

painters-challenge-March2022-10.jpg

painters-challenge-March2022-9a.jpgΒ painters-challenge-March2022-9b.jpg

That's Danica from the witch box for moonstone by goblin King games.Β 

• Like 1

Caedrus, chiming in!

March's Challenge was a discussion about basing, so I thought I'd add in this little piece if anyone is interested.

Magnetising your Malifaux Bases

I am in the process of constructing a Malifaux-dedicated board with a steel base, so I thought that it was time to start magnetising my Malifaux bases. I normally use pre-cast bases, as I like to have everything in a keyword being thematically linked, and I user bases and colour schemes to achieve this.

So, here's my magnetising method:

WuZLgQC.jpg

Obviously, you need to get larger washers for larger bases, but this washer-and-magnet means I have a regulation base size, and miscasts can be filled in, and I use the washer rim to delineate the faction.

Oh, and buying in bulk made this quite affordable.

I hope this is of interest or use to someone!

Have a good one, friends!

Caedrus.

• Like 5