2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Shock & Awe

dNDE3Kt.jpgOmMbTfQ.jpg

One unit of Barbed Crawlers complete. All that's left now for the Gibbering Hordes is the one unit Of Yarazi and being the only unit in the army that uses the 3x 80mm fireteam bases they look comically small.

Pleased with how the barbed crawlers came out, it isn't especially visible in these photos but they have brown/cream underbellies like with Horomatangi. Have also been working on a fancy base for Kirai (enboy of the court) and considering the months painting class theme will probably try to have her painted up by the end of the month too (or failing that have her base painted up).

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Diddick said:

Hi there!  coming late, but have been some busy weeks, and the scarce hobby time i had i was focused on a non mali project 😓

For this month I'll finish my urami models, with the 5 seishin, their time has finally come!

Also I LOVE this month masterclass topic, i use the basing to make simple minis more interesting or to bring cohesion to the bands, even if the terrain is different, just by painting the bases in the same color, or adding similar details.

Honestly, i don't have a way to go, everything works, cardboard, cork, sand, wood, plasticard, bits of sprues, wire... and diorama products (mud, water effects, crackle effects...) whatever works for the vibe i want to give to the mini or crew.

Sometimes i spend more time on the base than on the mini itself 😬

Here's a couple of examples form old works:

Crew cohesion: Oni crew
each mini has a different color palette, but just by giving this bright red accent and having matching bases, they look more like a "united" band

FNmnHu2.jpeg

Elaborate bases:
Malifaux rats:

mZqVSgX.jpg

FXUGpfi.jpg

Dawn serpent:

EJFLiZJ.jpeg

XLdLUyf.jpeg

I did a small tutorial for the sakura tree too 👉 https://imgur.com/gallery/p6YGaZE

And on a similar but different line, here's my most overkill "basing" work, a shared base for my Plague crew:

x8odIdl.jpeg

And a bit of the process here 👉 https://imgur.com/gallery/MlovJdZ

Love that Sakura Tree!

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 9:57 AM, Diddick said:

Hi there!  coming late, but have been some busy weeks, and the scarce hobby time i had i was focused on a non mali project 😓

For this month I'll finish my urami models, with the 5 seishin, their time has finally come!

Also I LOVE this month masterclass topic, i use the basing to make simple minis more interesting or to bring cohesion to the bands, even if the terrain is different, just by painting the bases in the same color, or adding similar details.

Honestly, i don't have a way to go, everything works, cardboard, cork, sand, wood, plasticard, bits of sprues, wire... and diorama products (mud, water effects, crackle effects...) whatever works for the vibe i want to give to the mini or crew.

Sometimes i spend more time on the base than on the mini itself 😬

Here's a couple of examples form old works:

Crew cohesion: Oni crew
each mini has a different color palette, but just by giving this bright red accent and having matching bases, they look more like a "united" band

FNmnHu2.jpeg

Elaborate bases:
Malifaux rats:

mZqVSgX.jpg

FXUGpfi.jpg

Dawn serpent:

EJFLiZJ.jpeg

XLdLUyf.jpeg

I did a small tutorial for the sakura tree too 👉 https://imgur.com/gallery/p6YGaZE

And on a similar but different line, here's my most overkill "basing" work, a shared base for my Plague crew:

x8odIdl.jpeg

And a bit of the process here 👉 https://imgur.com/gallery/MlovJdZ

Love the Cheese. thanks for sharing, makes me think of building bases myself again. Maybe if i ever start Bayou (next year?)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Diddick said:

Hi there!  this weekend managed to finish the Seishin, and with this the whole Urami keyword (or all the ones i have...) 🙌

Wo7GZVx.jpeg

And a family pic:

8v170ml.jpeg

That crew looks so good :) although i asked how you did it i cannot imitate it 😕 

---> but i have to be an arse and ask the question: will you rework the Goryo?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gheist said:

but i have to be an arse and ask the question: will you rework the Goryo?

🤣🤣🤣

I thought about it, and i will not, or at least not in the near future.  I went for an approach close to the boxart, and i liked how it ended up looking, and i’m really happy with the glow effect on the base too, so i’d feel kinda bad repainting it.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Brushgit said:

Coming back to my Malifaux minis after painting marvel super heroes for a while. Quick 1.5 session job on this dead dandy, already started with a rotten Belle to meet my Soulstone count for this month

Dead_Dandy (2) (2).jpg

One of my favourites so far, love the muted colours, dust/dirt, everything. Great job!

• Like 1

8IotAbY.jpgfEP1I5Q.jpg

The final unit of gibbering hordes is complete (until i start work on the nightmare models). The Yarazi bring my grand total for the month to 58 stones. Was going to try to get Kirai painted up this month too but haven't been able to find the time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

I have maintained my 3 models a month output, which wasn't what I thought I was going for, but seems to be the standard for me at the moment! Trying to take a group photo when one of the models towers over the others was a challenge....

ahFEyMi.jpg

This calypso totally looks like it spend a fair amount of time underwater!  Great weathering job  👏👏👏

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@DiddickI love the dark and sinister theme you have for your Urami- very creepy and appropriate. I find your use of colour and tonal ranges within such a muted pallete really inspiring.

@Virukloving those void beasties- thank pink against the greens and browns is surprising and intense- love it.

@LinenMusicianthose pelts look luscious - you've captured the texture really nicely (also your cat is gorgeous).

@Kogan Stylethat calypso is brilliant- I love anything off white and dirty, but you've really pushed it there. It reminds me of some heresy-era deathguard I painted once, although showcased on a bigger model it works so well!

I'm so glad that I found this challenge because it's really pushed me to actually start painting my stuff again. Seeing everyone else's work is really inspiring, even if my painting is not on the same level. Unfortunately I've not achieved my pledge this month- I have actually painted an entire infinity army for a tournament this month and my plan was to go back to malifaux for the latter half of the month but alas, the dread C has struck- I spent last week looking after poorly kids and wife and the last few days I've been in bed with it as well. Rather than rush, I'll show my progress so far and pledge to make up the difference next month so as to stay in the challenge. So here is a (not great) pic of my carrion emissary so far. Its a big model, but I wanted to make it bigger with a scenic base. I've attempted to capture the instance of a coffin bursting from the ground, pushed up by many undead hands.

20220323_230317.thumb.jpg.6a2dad3f45520662b546dff0769bd581.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So many great projects going on now! (love that Calypso @Kogan Style) Is it just me or is there a significant upswing in the amount of people joining in on the challenge for 2022? 🤔

In regards to my own progress, I'm still working on a few more woes to "complete" the keyword (still missing Tyrant-torn and Dorian in the collection 😭) I hope to finish those in the next few days, and will probably post some finished photos along with my thoughts on basing soon™.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1