Kickstarter Terrain sets

Paddywhack

I backed their last KS and am currently waiting on the post to arrive. They seem like a good company and were able to keep to their timeline. Still, it is KS, so do your due diligence before bidding.

These look like great little terrain sets. They are offering their ruined village set from the last KS as well new intact villages. I'm backing for 2 sets myself. They seem different as it's images printed on HDF, not paper. Their last KS indicated they use a special printing process that also gives them a slight texture. As soon as I get me first set of ruined terrain I'll post some pics and review. they should be easy to assemble as you don't have to use glue. 

Just thought others might be interested if you missed the last one. It is a very short KS though - just 14 days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/e-raptor/fantasy-village-wargaming-terrain?ref=discovery&term=fantasy village terrain 

There's a good preview video:

So I got my set from the previous KS - just over a week or so to ship from Poland to the West Coast and that was with two FedEx delays. I really like them overall. I'm not going to add a ton of photos as they have better ones on the KS pages. 

First off, they look great. There is a slight texture to one side of the print (the outside of the buildings typically). They come like most MDF terrain as cut-outs on a sheet. It is thick enough to give substance, but still pretty thin. That was my one complaint about the paper stuff from Battle Systems - they were so light it's very easy to accidentally move them during play. These don't seem to have that problem as they are heavier. The edges of the cutout pieces are also a dark brown so you don't have a do a ton of edging to darken them up (looking at you again Battle Systems). 

IMG_20220228_222520598.thumb.jpg.d5710d882040f9c0c997ae1a9587d97f.jpg

You have to be careful punching them out as you can accidentally tear the 'print' off the edges if you're too rough (same as Battle Systems stuff if you're familiar). Even if you do a little you just need a sharpie to touch up and you can't even notice it. I tended to wait until I was finished building and then going over looking for any spots.  I'm debating doing a dull coat to see if that helps avoid the issue over time with handling, etc. Not sure it's really a problem once assembled though. Time will tell.

The pieces are great and they aren't lying when they say you don't need glue - you really don't. I put a tower together first and that took all of 5ish minutes (being extra careful). It's a nice size and came with two nice ladders (never enough ladders). I think it'll be a great addition to any table. The next house I put together I was a bit too tired and second guessed myself on needing glue to really firm up the building, so I made some silly mistakes (rough side goes on the outside). The instructions are OK. They have pics of each tile with the piece numbers on them and make it easy to find pieces. I do wish they made it more clear which side of the terrain was facing which way on the instructions, but you can mostly figure it out on your own.  Again - you don't need glue. It just caused me issues and didn't help at all. Once it's all assembled, if you really feel the need you can place a drop or two in corners/edges, but I stopped doing even that after my first building. Over time, if they loosen up, I might go back.

They are overall pretty easy to put together. I managed all three buildings and one tower in one evening. With my more technical stuff from Warcradle Scenics (which I love!), I can spend a whole night on one building, and often need more than one evening. It was a nice change to have such an easy time building and not end the night with my clumsy fingers covered in super glue. 

The real design coolness come with the little details like the doors. Each door comes with a little screw and nut and then there is a place on the wall to insert a small magnet (all included). This way the door stays shut when moving it around, but it's easy to open as needed. Some of the other kits have these features with their portcullis (see video preview on KS). These are really nice little touches that probably took time to design, but can really add to the usefulness - especially for RPGs. 

From the original KS I ordered the Ruined Village (available on their current KS too). It comes with three ruined buildings and I added on two ruined towers. This give a good amount of terrain for Malifaux once you add in some scatter. Scale on these is pretty good. The one L-shaped building is a lot bigger than I anticipated. It's much bigger than I usually like, however it is very easy to access the interior so it might work. The bigger issue is I wish they had put a second door on the other side. That limits play in my mind (unless you call all windows entry points). Still the interior looks great!

The doors are the only thing that seem hugely out of scale - they are wide and tall (sorry, forgot to get a comparison pic with figures). While the size makes them useful for moving through (I think a 40mm base can fit), it looks a bit out of scale next to a standard model. 

After reorganizing my terrain bins and realizing I have way too much (and I'm still assembling my Warcradle Studios Augusta stuff for a railroad table), I'm limiting myself on this KS. I do want their intact Village to go with this set and I really like their slum set. Would like to get some wagon add-ons as well as they look pretty good too. Very happy overall with their stuff. I think it's a great way to make terrain that looks great and is easy to assemble. I hope they put out more stuff in the future. 

• Like 1

Well with STLs i can create as much of it as i like. While with getting a physical product i have just that.
Also STL ks often contain a lot more different stuff because there is no cost involved in the physical manufacture which can be translated into more time for designers.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:20 AM, Spitfire said:

Well with STLs i can create as much of it as i like. While with getting a physical product i have just that.
Also STL ks often contain a lot more different stuff because there is no cost involved in the physical manufacture which can be translated into more time for designers.

Sure, but that requires a printer, hours to print, cleaning, prepping and painting. Not everyone has a printer or wants to spend that much time getting terrain ready. I realize some do, but it still seems easier for most gamers to use ready to play (or at least easy to assemble) terrain. 

I get it though - I enjoy putting things together and I've made several 3d printed game aids, but for terrain it just seems easier to assemble and play. I'm not much of a painter though. I imagine if I did have a 3d printer I'd end up with large digital pile of shame anyway ;) 

Well i don't say that most people do but it is a lot more prevalent than it used to be and much more accessible.
Which is why i think more ppl are backing stl kickstarter than physical stuff. Also you only have to print what you need and can store the rest digitally without taking up physical space. I love printing nice detailed stuff, physically detailed which mdf somewhat struggles with but is a fine compromise between cost and detail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, Spitfire said:

Well i don't say that most people do but it is a lot more prevalent than it used to be and much more accessible.
Which is why i think more ppl are backing stl kickstarter than physical stuff. Also you only have to print what you need and can store the rest digitally without taking up physical space. I love printing nice detailed stuff, physically detailed which mdf somewhat struggles with but is a fine compromise between cost and detail.

Oh sure enough. Printers are at least within reach of many people now. If I had the spare money and time to learn all the ins and outs, I'd likely dive in. Probably will one day. I've just not been super impressed with a lot of prints I've bought so far. Not that their bad, but as you say, there are pros and cons to either.

I also vastly prefer terrain that is pre-painted. I have enough minis to try and paint without adding to my pile, but if you love painting then that's not as important. I do like some assembly, as that is one of the parts of the hobby I like (though some MDF terrain can be a PITA). That's why this KS seems good to me. Pre-painted (of a sort), with a bit of texture, some assembly, but not too much, and ready to play very quickly. Much better than the paper terrain, which I have also tried with no real success. I really hope the company keeps producing as so far it seems like a great product. Surprised more 40K players didn't latch on to some of the sets (they seem to be targeting them). 

As soon as I get the new sets I'll post some more photos and info. They are selling some of the first run on their website I believe. 

Absolutely. Preferences and mileage does vary a lot from person to person.
I'm currently in the process of getting myself a Nightmare Circus table for Mr. Cooper mostly printed. Something akin to the plasticraft one.
And i love the Details and painting it to my preference :D

(Photo WIP)

20220314_221725.jpg

• Thanks 1