Going into Symbols

Regelridderen

My next League game is into Explorers in this :

Flank // Symbols of Authority

Hidden Martyrs // Death Beds // Outflank // Research Mission // Spread them out

I’ve got Performers, M&SU (and Machina) at my disposal + all our Versatiles.

My initial though was to use Performers for Spread them out and Research Mission - with Carlos and the Soulstone miners ability to dump terrain markers.

Hmm…

Not much help to get here? Guess I’ll leave some inspiration for you all :

I plan to go with : Research Mission and Spread them out.

For this I choose :

Mr. Cooper and his Flying Monkeys

Coopers Flying Air Rapid Travel Service will get everyone in position, while dumping scheme markers all over the opposing table half, before you can say “Presto-Chango”.

Baritone Lola and Carlos Vasquez

A little known fact about the two hottest name in showbiz is that they’re brillianyt scientists as well. Ready to dump scheme and pyre markers while turning the opposition into corpse markers. Combine this with phenomenal speed and they’ll put on quite the pyrospectacle.

Coryphee Duet

The scariest scheme runner not to be alive.

Soulstone Miner

Not as useful as they used to be, but again it is a source of alternative terrain markers, soulstones and can grab distant symbols.

Joss

A budding star in showbiz. As Lola and Vasquez Joss has access to a third action/move, dumps scrap and corpses before him. Pyrotechnics may be a classic, but the hip, young crowd want something a little more Electric.

Soulstones : 5

-

The Strategy

I expect to be able to run circles around my opponent. While Cooper will do his worst presto-chango’ing opponents out of position, should they be able to cross the centreline. I imagine Joss to be doing the brunt of the fighting and distract my opponent, supported by focused Breath of Flame from the other henchmen as needed.

I do consider dumping the Miner for a magically trained showgirl. They might not be popular, but they do offer some nice Distraction and utility via Lure and Celebrity. But I’m not sure the extra cards are worth it with three henchmen in the crew.

Do you know what Master your opponent is playing? Colette seems fine into that pool. I wouldn't rely on SS Miners to drop Terrain Markers because they can only do it on a Trigger while Burring (so only every other turn and you cant get a Stone). I'm not sure how Joss fits into this pool, since there doesn't seem to be an incentive to go killy or a need for irreducible. In addition, you don't have Magical Training! Finally, I would consider running the Title Colette, because you can use Decoy Markers for Research Mission, and being able to use Doves to pick up Symbols is AMAZING. 

I think I would drop Joss and the Miner and put in a Showgirl + MT and Angelica. This way you can take (or bluff) HM, and the added mobility from Angelia is really going to help with some of these wide shemes

So in the end this was the crew :

Cooper + Monkeys

Baritone Lola and Vasquez

Coryphee Duet

Soulstone Miner

Vogel w. Soulstone Cache

And 5 stones. 

Against the EVS. 

D6C2F5C4-D906-430F-9E5F-A9D6B4089BCB.thumb.jpeg.6c80aa8feae6103e2f8f83731641963f.jpeg

First turn set up for a big scrum in the center. The treacherous Calypso-bot and the flying totem hit the flanks - but the totem was cut off by the Duet (lower left corner out of the image).

The center fight was mainly the fire breathers slowly whittling away at the opposing beaters Kira, The Emissary and the Water Golem thingy, Vogel got caught up in the fight. And Cooper was hanging back getting his crew in position. 

Score 0 - 0

Turn 2 is when things got started, of course. The duet killed off the totem scoring the EVS Hidden Martyr. While the other martyr Calypso scored the first Strat marker. Vogel got out of the center fight and scored me a Strat point. While in the center the EVS found themselves catching fire while being unable to hit anything - except for the Water Golem managing to throw Lola into a monkey, but to no effect. 

Score 1 - 2

Turn 3 the center started to clear. Although Kira refused to break, the Water Golem evaporated into steam, and Cooper buried the Emissary - big mistake. The second casualty of the day was a minion healer dude, scrambling to patch up a very Distracted Kira. And with Carlos setting up a pyre marker I had the means to score research mission.

Meanwhile Calypso was running rampant behind my lines, dumping scheme markers, while Maxine had a brush with death in the shape of Lola and ran off dumping even more scheme markers and scoring my opponent Spread them out. 

And away from all that the Coryphee and Vogel conspired to score the first point of Spread them out and the 2nd Strat marker. 

Score 4 - 3

Turn 4 was a mess. Calypso, the Emissary and Maxine caused havoc behind my lines. Calypso scored a Strat marker, so Cooper had to retreat to protect the third - my fourth was in the center. Her path to victory blocked Calypso turned around to go for the center Marker, but her path was soon blocked by the Soulstone Miner and a couple of monkeys. 

The henchmen continued their fight in the middle, while Vogel took yet another Strat marker and the duet scrambled to set up to take the final one in turn 5. 

Score 5 - 4

Turn 5 the EVS fought to get scheme markers down for a second Spread them out, but Cooper cheated Maxine and spoiled her effort. The monkeys and the Miner did their best to deny the second Hidden Martyr point, but only managed to scratch up Calypso. While the Henchmen finally took Kira down - although just for bragging rights. 

So with little effort I scored the final scheme and Strat points. 

Final score 8 - 5. 

And a really good game. The EVS is definitely a tricksy, and a deceptively fast yet tough crew.  I didn’t expect to be outmaneuvered, but I did 🤓

-

Until now, I’ve mainly used the Duet as a beater, but this game I decided to set her aside for scheming, and she did the job. Neither the Strat nor Spread them out would have scored without them.

I like the versatility of Vogel. Vogel is tough, the Beast relatively fast. The shapeshifting ensures that they can’t be locked down. Like the Duet, he can handle himself in a fight. The Soulstone Cache was overkill for what he ended up doing, but could have into play.

The Firebreathers always deliver. Once you round up your opponents models and clump them together, focused Breath of Flame, with Soulstones for extra tomes really makes a mess of things. Carlos managed to deal 13 points of damage and a ton of Burning with a single action.

The Miner was a first, I was perfectly satisfied. It didn’t do a lot, but it did deny my opponent his Hidden Martyr. And at “3” stones I couldn’t ask for more.

I’m starting to get the hang of Cooper and the flying monkeys. When to sacrifice, how to use Presto-chango etc. In this game I learned a little of Sword Trick, how not to use it carelessly, and when to bury Cooper. This is the hardest thing about Performers I find. Cooper is sooo different from other masters.

O

4 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

Do you know what Master your opponent is playing? Colette seems fine into that pool. I wouldn't rely on SS Miners to drop Terrain Markers because they can only do it on a Trigger while Burring (so only every other turn and you cant get a Stone). I'm not sure how Joss fits into this pool, since there doesn't seem to be an incentive to go killy or a need for irreducible. In addition, you don't have Magical Training! Finally, I would consider running the Title Colette, because you can use Decoy Markers for Research Mission, and being able to use Doves to pick up Symbols is AMAZING. 

I think I would drop Joss and the Miner and put in a Showgirl + MT and Angelica. This way you can take (or bluff) HM, and the added mobility from Angelia is really going to help with some of these wide shemes

Thanks for your comment - although I only saw it after the game.

I’m not that dependent on Magical Training - it’s a great upgrade, but I come from other factions where I’m used to making do with 6 cards. Nor am I that enthusiastic about Angelica. Not that she is bad, but I have enough in Presto-chango for rearranging position. In this game Vogel and the Miner took up their stones and I do admit that having a Lure and dragging people in to the central fire put would have been hilarious, but it wouldn’t have made me any points. Angelica would have worked in Vogels place, but she would have drawn little as a deterrent. 

I’m Holding back on titles till I have the models - and on smugler Colette till i have a good grasp on the circus girl.