Errata made a splash in the Bayou

Math Mathonwy

On 3/26/2022 at 1:44 AM, TeddyBear said:

I state that it is only an idea and not a proposal: I was wondering, since I read that several bayou players would like to see the keyword "big hat" or more precisely som'er a little improved, it would be very absurd to remove from him "one for the team "and instead give him the possibility (as the only model) to generate the blasts from the friendly ones? it was a nice thing in second edition (but used by too many characters) now maybe, on a single model,

1 would make som'er more interesting.

2 since som'er is a jack of all trades, i imagine the s. player will not focus his game on "just that".

Would be o.p.?

I would very much like to know what you think. :)

I don't think it would OP but I do think that the current version is quite a bit more elegant and I would like Somer's strength to lie somewhere else than Blasts from his cannon (Wong is the blaster, Somer is the summoner, after all).

My ideal solution to Somer would be to bring back his emphasis on "combined arms" approach with Pigs and Gremlins (and Skeeters) working together to make a "1+1=3" style of synergy. But it would mean a big overhaul, so unlikely to happen. His title was a giant missed opportunity, unfortunately.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I don't think it would OP but I do think that the current version is quite a bit more elegant and I would like Somer's strength to lie somewhere else than Blasts from his cannon (Wong is the blaster, Somer is the summoner, after all).

My ideal solution to Somer would be to bring back his emphasis on "combined arms" approach with Pigs and Gremlins (and Skeeters) working together to make a "1+1=3" style of synergy. But it would mean a big overhaul, so unlikely to happen. His title was a giant missed opportunity, unfortunately.

i liked a lot in m2e also the action that allowed both players discard their hands. (that too could be an interesting addition maybe..😅 after all, imo, the current "bigger hat than you" is not so that special: it avoids a possible increase in the flip of the initiative, almost never used, since the opponent will hardly want to be overcome in activations; and the only advantage of keeping cards for a later round, at least against Som'er it could be a Bj to avoid...then maybe I'm ignoring some "subtleties" that I don't know.)

unfortunately I still haven't had the opportunity to try the new version of him; however I would not want Som'er2 to become an obvious choice on S.1

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:44 PM, TeddyBear said:

I state that it is only an idea and not a proposal: I was wondering, since I read that several bayou players would like to see the keyword "big hat" or more precisely som'er a little improved, it would be very absurd to remove from him "one for the team "and instead give him the possibility (as the only model) to generate the blasts from the friendly ones? it was a nice thing in second edition (but used by too many characters) now maybe, on a single model,

1 would make som'er more interesting.

2 since som'er is a jack of all trades, i imagine the s. player will not focus his game on "just that".

Would be o.p.?

I would very much like to know what you think. :)

I think it's an interesting gremlin-y idea. I honestly think both versions of S'omer need to go back to the drawing board. 

• Agree 2

Just played against an awesome Som'er 2 list!

Screenshot_20220402-040913.jpg

My opponent posted this on the discord. Inferiority complex for my terrifying.

White Rabbit Company keeps turning models into scheme markers, and then they can be moved around the board (for instance, Lenny tosses a Bayou smuggler, who uses drag along to teleport Lenny up the board, then smuggler walks up the board and suddenly you have an amazing symbols running pair).

So Som'er 2 has some nice tricks! He also would have kidnapped my master and staggered her and blasted the heck out of her if I didn't kidnap his master first xD

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

My opponent posted this on the discord. Inferiority complex for my terrifying.

White Rabbit Company keeps turning models into scheme markers, and then they can be moved around the board (for instance, Lenny tosses a Bayou smuggler, who uses drag along to teleport Lenny up the board, then smuggler walks up the board and suddenly you have an amazing symbols running pair).

So Som'er 2 has some nice tricks! He also would have kidnapped my master and staggered her and blasted the heck out of her if I didn't kidnap his master first xD

Wow, interesting list! So Beau Fishbocker is targeting the models with comfortable hats and making them have a hazardous aura? That's quite a strong combo...

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Interesting, could you explain more about how Somer 2 played in it? It seems like the combos mentioned work with OG Somer too.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Interesting, could you explain more about how Somer 2 played in it? It seems like the combos mentioned work with OG Somer too.

Somer2 offers a ton of scheme markers, Stat 7 slow, stunned, or staggered, min 3 damage, secret mission for totems, healing and shielded from bonus, soulstones from bonus.

The bonus doesn't even require a TN which is super sweet.

Also the Stat 7 attacks can move people which combo with the staggered.

I must say that I'm having a hard time understanding how this would be better than an evasive Zipp list? I mean, it looks like the playstyle would be the same but with more hoops to jump through and even less killing power? And everything dies super easy? Maybe I'm missing something.

I do like the inventiveness, though, for sure! And this certainly looks like the best Somer2 list I've seen so far.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I mean, it looks like the playstyle would be the same but with more hoops to jump through and even less killing power? And everything dies super easy? Maybe I'm missing something.

Gotta agree with this - Cool idea, but feels like you’re twisting the crew into an unintended gimmick, which doesn’t use the original intent of the keyword. 

But then again, I’m happy to see Som’er getting some action :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A large part of Som'er being in slump is because of the current Gaining Ground. Playing in GG1, I believe, they will work just fine. The current GG is not friendly to bubble crew nor killy crew, thus Big Hat is double suffering from it. They need Strategy like Recover Evidence, which allows them stay at one point and shoot, to shine.

And the change to summoned models and Strategy Marker is not helping them neither. The most reliable schemer of Big Hat was the Skeeter Obeyed by the Crier. In GG2, however, once Som'er lost both initial hire Skeeters he will just struggle a lot in scoring.

So if the GG3 keeps going down the path of punishing summoner and slow crew, Big Hat then needs to rework to either break the bubble playstyle or have a better way to run scheme.