2022 Monthly Painting Challenge February

Gheist

14 hours ago, Viruk said:

W

painters-challenge-february-2021-02.jpgpainters-challenge-february-2021-03.jpg

Just to give you a good idea of what kind of work went into this, here are pre-painting shots:

painters-challenge-february-2021-00.jpgpainters-challenge-february-2021-000.jpg

So, currently looking at 66 soulstones for February. More to come for sure as I will start working on this Marcus the Barkus conversion later today during Wyrd painting stream ( to be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/playwyrd ) at 21:00 CET / 15:00 EST

As always, more pictures to be found on my IG account here https://www.instagram.com/what.the.faux/

Man. That Kurgan Conversion. The original will have something to prove to me now...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Ended up doing something completely different this month. Still WiP, and my first attempt at NMM. Not really feeling it though so will have to work on it a bit more.

20220216_121217.jpg

Man if my first attempts to NMM would've looked so good! Really nice work on the blade and the horse's armor

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Gheist said:

quick ask for help: i am assembling some new miniatures that arrived yesterday.

There may be gaps.

Whats your favourite method of filling gaps? i'll by the way settle for the 85% solution over the 100% solution if the former is twice as fast.

Greenstuff+hobby tool, but I imagine that is going to be the twice as slow method over some other ways of doing it. I seem to recall someone last month mentioning using resin but I have no personal experience with that so not sure how you even begin to go about it. Greenstuff works very well for big gaps but I will admit to having troubles using it to get a good finish on some of the smaller gaps in models. How big are the gaps you are talking about?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Gheist said:

There may be gaps.

Whats your favourite method of filling gaps? i'll by the way settle for the 85% solution over the 100% solution if the former is twice as fast.

I use vallejo plastic putty to fill small gaps, it's not the greatest as if you use too much the surface can get a bit bumpy/etc.  I've also used UV resin for super big gaps (rex for instance) but that gets a bit dangerous as its easy to use too much and obscure details.

In the future I want to try the 'melt down spures to make the glue/gap filler combo', but that is a bit longer term.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

There may be gaps.

Just started assembling my lucky emissary and made a new batch of sprue goo and used it. Works like a charm and costs nothing. (for everyone not aware of what sprue goo is, you dissolve cut up sprue bits in plastic glue and use the resulting goo to apply over gaps, let it dry and file/scrape off)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TimH said:

Greenstuff+hobby tool, but I imagine that is going to be the twice as slow method over some other ways of doing it. I seem to recall someone last month mentioning using resin but I have no personal experience with that so not sure how you even begin to go about it. Greenstuff works very well for big gaps but I will admit to having troubles using it to get a good finish on some of the smaller gaps in models. How big are the gaps you are talking about?

Really small. I usually take no offense at them, but as we are posting hi res Photos of painted miniatures here it is starting to get on my nerves rather fast :D

On 2/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, Gheist said:

Really small. I usually take no offense at them, but as we are posting hi res Photos of painted miniatures here it is starting to get on my nerves rather fast :D

After the Gibbering Hordes are painted up I'm moving onto some Neverborn.

Greenstuff works very well on tiny gaps in long smooth surfaces like Serena's dress or the line that runs down the manacle on Rex. For other bits like the larger gaps in rex you do sort of need to do some sculpting after the greenstuff is down to attempt to match the texture of the surface you have filled so in that regard it does have the same problem as the sprue/glu putty i guess. Here I'm not entirely happy with all of the fillings (taking the photo actually helped identify some areas where bits of green stuff had stuck without me noticing) but for the most part it should all spray up and then paint up well and conceal the GS. Should if nothing else be less noticeable than the gaps would have been.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, Hawkoon said:

20220216_153325.jpg

I love how this has turned out! I've been planning a similar base for my own hooded rider. Due to having an existing set of insidious madness from 2E and then never actually picking up Serena until now I've wound up with spare models. I'm planning to chop up the pieces and use them to make a similar nightmarescape for my own rider (though with less eyes and more teeth). Is the buster sword home made or taken from another mini? The NMM on it is gorgeous and it really adds to the intimidation of the model a lot more than his dinky little regular sword does.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TimH said:

I love how this has turned out! I've been planning a similar base for my own hooded rider. Due to having an existing set of insidious madness from 2E and then never actually picking up Serena until now I've wound up with spare models. I'm planning to chop up the pieces and use them to make a similar nightmarescape for my own rider (though with less eyes and more teeth). Is the buster sword home made or taken from another mini? The NMM on it is gorgeous and it really adds to the intimidation of the model a lot more than his dinky little regular sword does.

The base is an insert from Black Cat Bases that I've added some cobblestones to. Not sure it's worth chopping up expensive models to make something similar, but that's maybe just me.

The sword is ineed home made from plasticard and some putty😉 (Impressed you got the reference)

It's a recognisable sword, you converted it well.

Seeing as how 3E made it so there were hard caps to every minions I have no other use for the spare Insidious Madness. I already have 4 (the old metal one and 3 plastics) and I did try finding a 2E Serena but unfortunately she sold out during black friday before I managed to get my order in. So the 3 spare madness are going to wind up being sacrificed to make some (hopefully) pretty bases for other models to stand on top of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

So it is that sword. I was attributing the familiarity solely to Hawkoons painting skills

Yeah, I'm a big FFVII fan, and the original sword is just so small and tiny. Mind you I've had this model on my shelf since 2E, and the rules did not match the model back then (did he have 3" on that thing?) so I knew he needed "something". My modelling skills being as limited as they are, I thought that I atleast should be able to make him a somewhat convincing Buster sword (It's quite easy to make, really!).

Glad you think it turned out well, I wasn't all that certain when I was making it😁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Yeah, I'm a big FFVII fan, and the original sword is just so small and tiny. Mind you I've had this model on my shelf since 2E, and the rules did not match the model back then (did he have 3" on that thing?) so I knew he needed "something". My modelling skills being as limited as they are, I thought that I atleast should be able to make him a somewhat convincing Buster sword (It's quite easy to make, really!).

Glad you think it turned out well, I wasn't all that certain when I was making it😁

Na it's spot on, i thought wyrd stole the buster sword design for the model because i did not know the Rider sculpt well enough ;) . FF VII were the days though. I think it was the first reason to skip a day of school.

• Agree 2

@Brushgit – You paint too fast!! You have too many models for me to love… where to start. I love the back of the Ronin’s coat. That mud effect is something I need to learn. BBB’s cat’s skin tone is perfect too… very “Dr. No”. I also really like the orb on the chicken’s head too 😊 Vanessa’s skirt, man… the transitions are so good. I need to figure out how to do that, too. The muscle highlights on Big Jake are ace as well.

@wobbly_goggy – I love the base on that … gremlin? Not sure which model that is! The water effect is perfect though. Well done with the fire effect as well.

@TimH – The shells of those whelks are really nice. I like the contrast.

@JordiFort – Welcome! I really like the purple glow on the glove and the glow on his back as well. That is amazing work.

@Moinetbeard – man, that Koi fish is WICKED! The whole narrative of that base is crazy good. Welcome and well done.

@Hobby Wyrd – Already looking sick, keep it up 😊

@Gheist – the cloak and the grapple look amazing. I really like the coloring

@LinenMusician – I love the balance between the snow, the water effects, and the ice on her feet… it all came together really well.

@Viruk – There is so much to love in the Mama Z RH shot – the thing that jumps out though is that swamp effect on the bases, the glow in there is really nice.

@Hawkoon – For a FIRST shot at NMM…. I hate you. That is really good. And the base, man. That is really cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the nice comments @Shock & Awe and @Viruk, they are all old metal sculpts, the Egg Hauler was an Easter limited edition a few years back (I have the Rooster Rider from the same time too).

Love your work (and everyone else's), some seriously impressive painting going on!!

I am using the challenge to get right back into the backlog and paint up ALL of my minis at last.

Still to come this year: metal Guild Guard and Som'er and Peaches (looking forward to/daunted by that one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weird question fellow painting challengers.

I'm currently working on some tide pool terrain markers for this months challenge. The base material of the markers is flat circles of MDF and then other materials to build up the lips of the marker/ islands inside of it. Everything is going fine on assembly, painting etc. but unfortunately I am finding the smell of burnt wood that the MDF gives off to be incredibly irritating to my nose. No sneezing fits or anything but at the same time it's making  my nose uncomfortable. Anyone with experience with it have some hobby advice on removing the smell? Does it ever go away? Will it just naturally lose that smell over time?

Was placing my pre-order for the Monstrous box - Nekima 2 and Molly 2 - and noticed the shipping cost was higher. 

I inquired with the company and they said "it's bulkier and heavier than a standard crew box, by quite a bit...." 

I'm intrigued..... I'm sure it's not what my childish mind is imagining, but I'm hoping for a truly "monstrous" Nekima :)

I also cannot wait to see what other Iconic models they make up - I NEED a HUGE Pandora. I need it. To go with my endless collection of Pandoras :) 

I'm actually considering purchasing a 3D printer to work on the modeling areas I can't get from 'Faux - like busts and whatnot. White Werewolf Tavern has a Nekima-ish model that looks huge, and awesome... that I kinda want to make. 

I am destined to be broke! 

10 hours ago, TimH said:

Weird question fellow painting challengers.

I'm currently working on some tide pool terrain markers for this months challenge. The base material of the markers is flat circles of MDF and then other materials to build up the lips of the marker/ islands inside of it. Everything is going fine on assembly, painting etc. but unfortunately I am finding the smell of burnt wood that the MDF gives off to be incredibly irritating to my nose. No sneezing fits or anything but at the same time it's making  my nose uncomfortable. Anyone with experience with it have some hobby advice on removing the smell? Does it ever go away? Will it just naturally lose that smell over time?

I work a lot with laser mdf at the office, so I know what you mean. The smell is mostly from tiny soot particles left from the cutting and not the mdf itself. A good scrubbing with hot water and dishwashing liquid removes most of it. (Don't soak it! You don't want water inside the mdf, belive me...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Update on my river project. I started with a pond as a test piece, and it turns out I dont need much resin depth, because dark paint below it can simulate depth in satisfactory way. Just need to go black in the centre. Also I bought HDF board which seems more resistant to distortions than plywood, at least so far. Will add some leafs on the surface and maybe some ripples, but overall I think it's safe to proceed to river. 

IMG_20220217_151341.thumb.jpg.a332d57585ecab944f3a0b423328b0fe.jpg

IMG_20220217_195731.thumb.jpg.bde808e899a0e9750a9945258c3fcdd8.jpg

IMG_20220219_093933.thumb.jpg.9ccfa27c8f0fe99cbddc481cfb1fee95.jpg

• Like 7