2022 Monthly Painting Challenge February

Gheist

26 minutes ago, Shock & Awe said:

If you watch Squidmar’s video that Hawkoon shared, he covers this at about the 10:30 mark

the idea is that as you move away from the light source (the object in her hand) the light will quickly lose intensity. 

so the light near her hand and up her arm should be brightest, but by the time it gets to the ground - or even near her head - it should be much fainter. 

Marco’s paint job here is … god level … and he really lays this point out well

What I wouldn’t give for half of Marco’s talent ;) 

Okay this is believe-based but i would always watch Marco over any painter right now, present streamers of course not included.

I know this video, but there is a difference in "i watched this video last april" to i try to paint this in under half an hour :Dbefore Lunch is done. But i promise to make the next OSL better 

5 minutes ago, Gheist said:

a) the light near the source should be more white, or much whiter than any major reflection

b) light near the source should still cover most of the lighted object while still not being saturated as much as the areas further away

c) i don't really know about the fall off: you are saying the light should cover less space on her left leg right arm and the ground?

I guess it's a bit hard to explain in words, but in regards to a) when doing OSL, the brightest spot on your model should be the lightsource itself. As you can see with any lightsource the intensity of the light fades rather quickly over distance (something-something divided by distance^2), so the effect the source will have on the parts further away is very little compared to the closest parts.

... I'm no good at this, so just watch the link :P

On the topic of OSL one of the best resources to get good results in no amount of time is Juan Sanz on Instagram

Marco ofc has the proper art background and theory in place that is necessary to know when diving deeper into that rabbit hole.

@JordiFortlWelcome to the community, already saw your work on Instagram. Really like your choice of color and placement of light. Really looking forward to see what your doing with the rest of the keyword.

How are the artist series of scale75 in terms of texture buildup? With my schmincke heavy body white I have to be rather careful to not apply too much texture onto the mini.

On the topic of February challenge I finished the last Viktoria of the core box but I am seemingly unable to upload pictures due to a

(Error code: unable to open file `/tmp/magick-145126u-qrmImKaHp': No such file or directory @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/604)
  •  
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brushgit said:

On the topic of OSL one of the best resources to get good results in no amount of time is Juan Sanz on Instagram

Marco ofc has the proper art background and theory in place that is necessary to know when diving deeper into that rabbit hole.

@JordiFortlWelcome to the community, already saw your work on Instagram. Really like your choice of color and placement of light. Really looking forward to see what your doing with the rest of the keyword.

How are the artist series of scale75 in terms of texture buildup? With my schmincke heavy body white I have to be rather careful to not apply too much texture onto the mini.

On the topic of February challenge I finished the last Viktoria of the core box but I am seemingly unable to upload pictures due to a

(Error code: unable to open file `/tmp/magick-145126u-qrmImKaHp': No such file or directory @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/604)
  •  

The internet has finally realized that your pictures are too wesome too be made availble in public without you getting paid for it

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Hello all! I came across this painting challenge whilst looking for a bit of inspiration for my 2e Izamu mini that has been on my shelf for ages. I've never played malifaux, but bought a load of the minis a while ago because they were gorgeous. I thought I'd join in with this to get some of them painted, get some feedback and hopefully build a couple of cool looking crews. And who knows I may actually get to pay a game with them one day! Anyway, this is my Izamu I finished last night. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been working on!

IMG-20220207-WA0005.jpg

20220207_231152~2.jpg

Welcome :DLove the Carp, what did you use to make the Water ?

Welcome @Moinetbeard lovely water work, the koi is an awesome detail!

Also I finally found out that apparently the picture I wanted to post was somehow corrupted and thus upload could not be completed.

So here is the last Vik from the core box finished for my Soulstone count this month.
Now I really have to get some work done on my Bloody Valentine Project to finish in time 😅

IMG_20220207_224743_932 copy.jpg

• Like 9

On 2/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, Gheist said:

Okay this is believe-based but i would always watch Marco over any painter right now, present streamers of course not included.

I know this video, but there is a difference in "i watched this video last april" to i try to paint this in under half an hour :Dbefore Lunch is done. But i promise to make the next OSL better 

I always find his heavy italian accent too distracting to watch his videos... thus i'm frequently watching others.

Something that quickly appeared to me in your osl is that it seems you properly painted with opaque color. I found that completly painting the model and then glazing over in some very very thin glazes produced results that i liked (and stressed me out because i might be ruining a completely painted model. Needed to learn to trust the process).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

I always find his heavy italian accent too distracting to watch his videos... thus i'm frequently watching others.

Something that quickly appeared to me in your osl is that it seems you properly painted with opaque color. I found that completly painting the model and then glazing over in some very very thin glazes produced results that i liked (and stressed me out because i might be ruining a completely painted model. Needed to learn to trust the process).

Yeah I wanted the glow to Look more unreal but not to the extent I managed to pull off.

Got the next OSL Project primed so with all the good advice and more patience Fingers crossed that it works:)

The accent is an aquired Taste to be sure but so probably is mine :D I like his methods frame of mind and the Aspect that he always has an eye on the clock while painting.i can relate there

Yeah time is a non concern to me, so another thing that doesn't quite attracts me. Similarily Uncle Atom from Tabletop Minions initially interested me but i don't agree on too many things for it to be a fit for me (not saying that time and effort aren't valid concerns for anyone, they just aren't for me, as i happily slog as many hours into one miniature until i am satisfied with it).

• Like 1

DSC01665.thumb.JPG.3150cbf5fb89325cc4a9e93dc194efeb.JPGDSC01666.thumb.JPG.9b4de3472413f9aee6b339c188446552.JPG

Karkinoi unit is finished, went heavier on the rock/gravel build up on their bases and also a lot more dead grass than green (they are tunnelers/burrowers so I thought it would be more appropriate for them).

Really pleased with how these ones have come out, something I am starting to come to accept though is that I need to work on my photography work (probably use a different camera too) as the photos i'm taken seem so blurry compared to how wonderfully crisp most of the other photos here are.

• Like 7

Maciej reporting in and... asking for help. 

My original plan was to paint Tanuki, Grave Goo and Austera. I started with Tanukies and almost finished 2 of them, but then i decided to rest a bit from painting and make some terrain instead. After watching a beautiful Malifaux battle report on T&G YouTube channel I irresistibly desired a river. 

4.thumb.jpeg.dd0c9e0cea430c841721482d04d6e90a.jpeg

My first thought was that I want as few segments as possible to minimize no. of joint lines plus some additional pieces to give some shape flexibility. 

I made some CAD drawings and ordered pieces to be laser cut from 3mm plywood (river bed and banks as separate pieces with intent to pour resin inside later). 

Sadly 3mm board seems too thin for 12"  pieces and they came out slightly warped (as not level), which makes them a bit useless in current state. To save this project I will need either find a way to flatten them out, or to find a better material and just use them as a shape template. This is where I ask for advice. Do you good people know a way to:

1. Flatten plywood boards (tried ironing so far, no effect)

2. Recommend a material that would be flat, easy to cut and able to receive resin. Cardboard was my first idea, but I never used resin before and have no idea how it would react. 

3. Also 3mm banks feel a bit shallow for resin, but I really want to make the river as flat as possible so that models can be placed on the edges without risk of falling. What do you guys think about optimal depth (was thinking to just paint substrate brown and black towards centre to make it feel like it was deep. 

4. On a separate note I bought Woodland Scenic moulds to cast some rocks as alternative to ply river banks. My first attempt was with gypsum, but the moulds are much shallower than I expected and pieces break very easily. Would resin be only reasonable alternative of them, or are there other materials that could work and cure faster than resin?

Any advice really really welcome!

1.thumb.jpeg.2c5cf675d374425fb1400afe114f3101.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.24b6f423e7609b24ed85891fe461ca6b.jpeg

687001554_WhatsAppImage2022-02-15at21_32.45(1).thumb.jpeg.1d8faae55047296a8833790f90d2ac29.jpeg

image.png

• Like 6

My immediate thought was that you could possibly save the river pieces by using a filling material on the bottoms of the rivers to effectively "fill in" the gaps caused by the warping, then sand down the filler once dried so that they sit flat to a table. As for the banks you could potentiallybuild them up with a coarse sand/gravel mix to build some height so they have more room to take your water effect while also adding texture to the wood.

great work on the Tanuki by the way and also I love those gators and the boat, were they 3d printed? Regardless they look great, really looking forward to seeing the eventual finished product

Weird thing that the plywood warped. Laser cutting should do the trick without warping them 🤷🏼‍♂️. Anything added to it containing water (some sort of grout or terrain paste) should actually cause warping of the plywood.

Just finished another piece for my mercs. Really like having a bunch of primed models in my Backlog so I can just grab what I like and thus don't get stuck with that feeling of "I have to finish the whole box/keyword". Keeps it fresh and motivated.

Big-Jake (1) (2).jpg

• Like 7