Help With Playstyle

FateWitch

Hey all! I've dabbled in Malifaux a bit before, but want to jump back in as I have a good group of people around to play with now.

My biggest trouble is finding a Keyword that I really like playstyle wise. Most of my playstyle references come from video games, but I enjoy a control/burst War craft where I can sort of lock someone down for a moment to get off a burst combo. I also enjoy ranged combat over melee.

Examples include Lux from League of Legends, Alolan Ninetales from Pokémon Unite, and Frost Mage in World of Warcraft.

If anyone could point me in a general direction that would be awesome. Looking forward to jumping back into the game.

Hmmm. Hard to say since I don't know any of those references. It sounds like debilitating ranged attacks are your thing, so you may find Masters like McCabe or Sonnia Criid to your taste. Criid can also bring the Pale Rider, who has a great gun for slowing down enemies on the approach.

Locking enemies down really does sound like you might enjoy crews with an emphasis on the Staggered condition. Jack Daw is the gold standard there. His crew is a bit more melee focussed (though a number of models have ranged attacks), he likes to big an opponent down and leave them locked in place in the middle of his crew where they will soon be torn apart by angry ghosts.

Thanks Azahul. Watching a video about Sonnia as we speak. I'll look into McCabe as well. Jack Daw is basically what I'm looking for, but ranged it looks like. Being melee isn't the end of the world though.

Rasputina looks interesting too, but I can't tell exactly how good she is at killing nowadays.

What about Hamelin and his bleeding disease?

Basse 2 may also be exactly what youre looking for, but is generally considered weak.

In some ways zoraida matches your description, locking people down with control elements and has some combos to do tons of damage from range commanding people in melee.

Pandora maybe since she is the ultimate condition master.

Overall ranged lockdown isnt as big a thing here as in other games.

Thanks Maniacal! I appreciate all of the recommendations. I'll take a closer look at those masters and their keywords too. Haven't looked much into Hamelin.

McCabe looks like he may fill the role pretty well so far. Especially in Ten Thunders.

Why is Basse 2 usually considered weak?

Edited by FateWitch

I don't understand the references, so this might not be what you actually want, Cooper and apex do some degree of tie a model up, either in combat or because you're restricted movement, and then shooting it for crazy amounts. ( it might not be the most effective combination, but things like Paul Crockett shooting a model engaged with the rex allowing the rex to get a free attack sound like the sort of burst damage. If you're looking for more slow them down and prevent them doing things, Rasputina is possibly worth a look). 

In general malifaux has a relatively low level of ranged attacks, so trapping models away from anything can make them useless. 

Edit- oops, remember the key words! Crockett isn't apex.

Edited by Adran

11 minutes ago, Adran said:

I don't understand the references, so this might not be what you actually want, Cooper and apex do some degree of tie a model up, either in combat or because you're restricted movement, and then shooting it for crazy amounts. ( it might not be the most effective combination, but things like Paul Crockett shooting a model engaged with the rex allowing the rex to get a free attack sound like the sort of burst damage. If you're looking for more slow them down and prevent them doing things, Rasputina is possibly worth a look). 

In general malifaux has a relatively low level of ranged attacks, so trapping models away from anything can make them useless. 

Just note Paul Crockett cant be hired with Cooper.  You can do that combo with Cooper's second title or with Basse.

• Thanks 1

Actually Titania, especially backed by the Mysterious Emissary, might be essentially what you're looking for. She's primarily a ranged attacker (albeit more a midfield fighter than a long range sniper), she throws the opponent into tangles of undergrowth for extra damage that bogs them down, and the Emissary capitalises on that with much the same sort of gameplay. She will usually bring a few tanky melee models to add to that combination, but honestly most of your damage will be ranged and you can make getting around quite problematic for opponents.

4 hours ago, SEV said:

Take a look at the alternate edition McCabe, same rules but awesome models. Welcome (back?) to Malifaux!

Just make sure you're at least a decent modeler, or have access to someone who can do it for you.

Cause Nightmare Boxes aren't easy to assemble, and McCabe's "Wild Ones" have a reputation for being one of the worst.

54 minutes ago, FateWitch said:

So I went to my FLGS and they had Zoraida's special box (the pre-assembled Halloween looking one) and I caved.

Titania is next on my list once I get some games in with Zoraida.

Enjoy! Zoraida's learning curve is very steep, so if you struggle you may find that it is better to try Titania for a while and come back to Zoraida later.

That said, I started with a master with a heck of a learning curve, and it worked out great! So hopefully it just clicks right away. Good luck!

Thank! I'm a sucker for anything spooky/Halloween themed so I couldn't resist. Grabbed her box. The alt Will-o-Wisps. A box of Silurids. A box of Bokors and the McTavish box.

Pretty sure I have The First Mate lying around here from 2e as well as the Emissary and Hooded Rider. Oh and a Doppelganger. 

3 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Just make sure you're at least a decent modeler, or have access to someone who can do it for you.

Cause Nightmare Boxes aren't easy to assemble, and McCabe's "Wild Ones" have a reputation for being one of the worst.

I suck at (and hate!) assembly, and I managed with it. There was just one model in the bunch where I held the pieces in my hand, looked at the diagram, looked at the pieces again, and just couldn't figure out htf they were supposed to go together. But once I got it, it worked. And they look awesome.

Now whoever created that Mei Feng Nightmare Box needs to be tortured slowly with nippy cutters...

• Haha 1