Incorperal damage reduction

Hipper Hopper Table Toper

Question

Like l stated yeterday I stumbled recently over the FAQ.

Under Section 1: General; number 5 is stated:

"If a model suffers damage from a Trigger, is that damage considered to also be from the Action that generated the Trigger?
a) Yes. Effects from Triggers are additional effects of the Action. Thus, Abilities such asIncorporeal that modify the effects of
certain Actions would also modify the effects of their Triggers"

Lets say Bishop is attacking a model with the "Incorperal" ability with his "staggered punch" action.

He is doing weak damage (2) and has declared the "critical strike" trigger which inflicts (1) more damage.

Now I have following question. How is the calculation?

It is Action Damage + Trigger Damage - Demage reduction from Incorperal. Right?

Due to the math rule from page 31. Correct?

6 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

Like l stated yeterday I stumbled recently over the FAQ.

Under Section 1: General; number 5 is stated:

"If a model suffers damage from a Trigger, is that damage considered to also be from the Action that generated the Trigger?
a) Yes. Effects from Triggers are additional effects of the Action. Thus, Abilities such asIncorporeal that modify the effects of
certain Actions would also modify the effects of their Triggers"

Lets say Bishop is attacking a model with the "Incorperal" ability with his "staggered punch" action.

He is doing weak damage (2) and has declared the "critical strike" trigger which inflicts (1) more damage.

Now I have following question. How is the calculation?

It is Action Damage + Trigger Damage - Demage reduction from Incorperal. Right?

Due to the math rule from page 31. Correct?

Critical strike does +1 damage, so the damage is added to the damage of the action. So it is 3 damage which is then reduced. 

Some triggers do separate sources of damage. These don't use the + to describe the damage.  (first one I found was Infectous words, which I found on a non damaging attack, but its wording is :Target suffers 1 damage and gains Poison+1, so that would do a separate source of damage that would be prevented by Incorporeal. 

If you look at the damage timing on page 34, what actually matters is the timing. Critical strike is a when resolving trigger and Infectious words is an after suceeding trigger (due to no timing specified). 

So in the Bishop  critical strike case it is 2+1 - 1 =2, but it does depend on the trigger. If Bishop had the Infectious words trigger it would be 2-1 =1  and then after that set of damage is resolved it would be 1-1 = 0 (+poison +1 from the trigger)

• Thanks 1

Yes.  Adding crit strike onto a staggering punch would raise the damage and incorporeal would deal with the new value.  As you said, if you do min 2 + 1 from crit strike, your opponent would be dealing with 3 damage and then any df tech would proc (shielded/armor/incorp).  Course part of crit strike is the 'when resolving' bit, so it does specifically call out that the damage is getting modified before the usual triggers stage.

One situation that is a bit different tho, is Triggers like Smolder, which reads 'Reduce the value of the target's burning condition by 1.  Target suffers 1 damage from burning'.  This differs from crit strike in that it does not say 'when resolving' and it specifically calls out that the damage would be from burning.  So in this case (in say Kaeris2), you'd be doing weak damage (2) + 1 damage from burning as 2 seperate pings which would hit df tech separately.

I think the bigger point of the faq was more that people were asking if incorporeal was affected by triggers at all, since incorporeal says 'attack actions' so things like tacticals that do damage (ex: swarm of mites) will not be affected by it, so people wanted to know if triggers were equally 'not an attack'

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adran said:

Some triggers do separate sources of damage. These don't use the + to describe the damage.  (first one I found was Infectous words, which I found on a non damaging attack, but its wording is :Target suffers 1 damage and gains Poison+1, so that would do a separate source of damage that would be prevented by Incorporeal. 

Calypso's Mass of Tentacles trigger on its Mining Tools is a good example. Against an incorporeal model it will do 2/3/4 damage, which gets reduced by 1. Then the trigger will do 1 damage, reduced by 1.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1