Bloody Valentine Winter Painting Competition

Hobby Wyrd

"Game legal "only works for people using wyrd figures, and the competition doesn't require them to be wyrd. ( that said wyrd has produced the occasional model that does include significant overhang so it's hard to rule those out and some may look a lot better on a bigger base, such as the M2e brass aracnid.)

When I vote, I take in consideration only the entries that follow the Theme and the rules for the category.

Then painting skills, unless there’s a super creative one that wins my heart.

And about the category discussion, i think that the rules this time are very clear:

The single model should make up the majority of the submission and be the focus of the piece, not any additional accessories or details attached to the base. If the base is the main focus of the submission, then the submission belongs in the Diorama/Vignette category.

the base can have things, of course, but not be the main focus.

There are dioramas with less stuff going on that some of the single entries…

If you remove the mini from the base and there’s still something going on: that’s a diorama.

E.g.

- the midnight stalker entry: big base, chunk of wall behind, still on the right category.  Remove the mini, all you have left is a sad wall.

- the dr dufresne with background, door, messages on the walls, the trolley, the plate on the door…  clearly wrong category.  Remove the mini, and you still can see that sth is going on there with dr dufresne.

(none of those examples are my entry, mine has 0 chance to win anything 🥲)

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Adran said:

"Game legal "only works for people using wyrd figures, and the competition doesn't require them to be wyrd. ( that said wyrd has produced the occasional model that does include significant overhang so it's hard to rule those out and some may look a lot better on a bigger base, such as the M2e brass aracnid.)

It would work for any game system that has rules or where the miniature is supplied with "an appropriate" base, but you are right, there are quite a few minis out there that don't have any of that. (Increasingly so with the growing home-printing industry). Still I find the rules as they are now to be quite vague and subject to interpretation. (Which is clearly shown in this competition)

I'll add a little bit about the bases that are legal for the game - this in itself is not the best criterion, because you can make a diorama on a legal game base) And for some models, you don't even need to try very hard (and this is one of the reasons why I love Wyrd models). And some models in general are themselves several figures on the same base. All this adds spice to the attempts to divide the work into categories.

My 2 cents that is not meant as a response to anyone in particular: If there is more than one model, it's not a Single Model.

I would also personally change the category name of Diorama to Scene and make the rule focus on the "story" that the piece creates. 

If you want the judges to focus on a single paint job, then just paint a single model (which might include more than one figure as with the M3E Snowstorm). 

If you want the judges to focus on the scene you're creating, then include more basing and maybe more models.

I mostly agree with the entries in each category, but there is one in the Single category that I think belongs in the Diorama. I think it would've been very competitive in there as well.

But this is all for fun and it's nice to be able to share feedback. Thanks to all the mods for the work that you do for the love of the hobby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

To the best of my knowledge, I followed the rules with my contribution and interpreted it as a diorama. It was nevertheless moved to single by Wyrd. I think as an evaluator you should also consider that the submitter does not always have final influence on the category.

It should also be mentioned that comments on the images are also allowed during the voting process. In my opinion, comments can influence the decision of others and should only be possible with the completion of the evaluation.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, m4ulwurf said:

To the best of my knowledge, I followed the rules with my contribution and interpreted it as a diorama. It was nevertheless moved to single by Wyrd. I think as an evaluator you should also consider that the submitter does not always have final influence on the category.

It should also be mentioned that comments on the images are also allowed during the voting process. In my opinion, comments can influence the decision of others and should only be possible with the completion of the evaluation.

I don't think anyone here are blaming the submitters. I know I'm not. This discussion is more on how the rules for the contests are worded, and if they should be tweaked before the next contest.

Best of luck for the last few hours of voting🤞

• Agree 2

I agree with you. Your contributions to this topic are all very good and meaningful. It was only important to me that the equality of the submissions is taken into account here.

I'm really looking forward to the results, there are some great works in there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Brushgit said:

Compared to other contests I find the discussion in this forum well mannered and constructive. I think everybody wants to make things better for everyone participating (be it as a contestant or voter)

For sure, as it should be. But the Internet tends to bring out the worst in some people 😁

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 12:17 PM, Silver_lining_minipainting said:

Personally, as it is a themed contest a requirement is that it fits the theme well. If it really doesn't fit the theme I don't vote even if it is clearly the best piece. When in doubt this also might be a tiebreaker. 

Next, I'm looking for painting technique. If your composition, color scheme or ideas are awesome that's great but it's still a painting contest and the execution comes first for me. 

Finally, I will look at composition and choice of colors. 

For example, several entries in the single category have intricate bases with additional elements though the rules clearly state that these can't be present and that the main focus of the piece can not be the base. I believe that several entries do not comply with these rules. Although, I would be pro creativity and let people make the pieces they want. I therefore would be in favor of more flexible rules so it's clearer to all participants. Some painters will stick strictky to the rules and not add these extra elements. In the end this impacts voting a lot as I have the impression that most people vote on visual impact and immediate impression and not painting technique. 

All of the above is off course nothing more than my personal opinion. 

I m totaly agree to this opinion.

It' s impossible to be totaly objective in a painting contest.

Nice work, try to progress to exceed your level

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have planned to gift away the wyrd store credit (25 usd) I received from this painting contest. I hope its ok to post it here. I usually wouldn't advertise here but since a lot of people here would be interested in free store credit I thought I'd give it a go. If this is inappropriate I am genuinely sorry and will happily remove this post. 

I realise it's a very small giveaway but I do intend to do several larger malifaux themed giveaways in a couple of months!

For info on the giveaway: Instagram @silver_lining_mini_painting 

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, tyler simmons said:

Thank you Silver_lining I was trying to look for specific sizes for the differences on single model and diorama and you're comment helped alot, thanks from a beginner! 

Hi Tyler, sorry, didn’t catch your post. No problem man. If you ever need advice I’ll gladly help. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

What are you lurking around here for? Shouldn't you be in the City Nights thread?

You're right... But let's pretend that this is how it was intended, and I just got tired of updating the same thread and started to stagger around the next ones)

• Haha 1