Looking for (re)-starting advice

pyremius

I played heavily in 1st edition, and intermittently in 2nd (local group disbanded) and am looking to get back into the game.  At the end I was mostly playing Dreamer, Lillith, or Jakob Lynch, as a reference.

We're trying to get a small group started again, and I've picked Lucas McCabe (TT affiliation) for my Master.  I've got all the TT Wastrels to work with and a handful of Versatiles to choose from.

I have no experience with 3rd Edition, no experience with Ten Thunders, and (of course) no experience with Lucas McCabe.

Where could I find some good strategy guides or advice on how to play Lucas?

1 hour ago, pyremius said:

I played heavily in 1st edition, and intermittently in 2nd (local group disbanded) and am looking to get back into the game.  At the end I was mostly playing Dreamer, Lillith, or Jakob Lynch, as a reference.

We're trying to get a small group started again, and I've picked Lucas McCabe (TT affiliation) for my Master.  I've got all the TT Wastrels to work with and a handful of Versatiles to choose from.

I have no experience with 3rd Edition, no experience with Ten Thunders, and (of course) no experience with Lucas McCabe.

Where could I find some good strategy guides or advice on how to play Lucas?

There's some good Mccabe threads out there... I know maniacal wrote a lot on the topic before and in this forum there's a 'mccabe what does his first turn look like' kind of post. (On my phone so linking kind of sucks sorry).

As for playing him. If you have most of the wastels you're off to a good start as I tend to stay pretty in key with him.  Hucksters / desper / sidir feature in a lot of games and if you have some versatiles like the emissary or Dawn serpent that could give you some strong models that don't require upgrades as much (or models like samurai who would like upgrades).

Personally if you're restarting I'd really play some games unpacking turn 1/2 to determine how much you care about getting upgrades out as scrap isn't a super easy resource without planning for it.  Hucksters / Jessie / corpse curator help but some require non built in suits and take pts away from other things you want to do.  Similarily the toss is real great to maximize fast but a lot of wastels have good free actions so plan accordingly.

After that I'd think about what pools you want to play.  Og Mccabe is fast + isn't the biggest damage threat so I tend to go into more movement / marker pools and try and stay away from big scrums.  Tho he is flexible that with the right ook he could compete there too.

Goodluck tho, he's a lot of fun and has a definite learning curve but once you get the hang he has a lot of power / versatility.

Here's a few options

One thing to watch out for reviewing older threads is whether or not they have the errata'ed mccabe card or not, as some data may off depending on that (aka running and horseing at clumps of people isn't quite as good).  There's also at least 1 thread about tomb delver out there, but not sure if you're going to stick with the OG title or the new one.