Errata 2023 Arcanist

50 SS Enforcer

however, the only thing I feel like saying (in my opinion) is that models with built-in leap shouldn't have deadly pursuit as well. it is an excessive amount of movement, difficult to "contain" for opponents(which also can be further enhanced by the upgrades). So it's okay give a "buff" ti unused models, but necessarily try "to limit" at least a little,  the rest.

Taking a stab at the Oxfordian Mage and tossing out some suggestions on what I'd love to see as an update to this model. 

Right off the bat, I'd prefer this model to be 5ss. Sandeep has a keyword jam packed with very high cost models. He also has the issue of wanting to run Academics and Elementals both. Given that all the golems are 10ss, Vidiya Guard are 8ss, Kudra is 9ss... It really doesn't offer much in terms of list diversity. Everything is just prohibitively too expensive. 

The Oxfordian Mage should be the backbone of the academics. However, with the Vidiya Guard and Kudra being 8ss and 9ss respectively, there simply isn't room for academics in any real quantity. It also doesn't help that these models don't really work as multiples, nor do they bring anything particularly special. 

So they have awkward condition manipulation, confused abilities, and no real direction. They're mostly there to blast things and that's definitely not what Sandeep needs. Elementals have plenty of that, much more efficiently or cheaper. 

At 5ss I'd probably drop it to 5 health. The rest of the stats are fine. Arcane Shield +1 and the Healing Mantra are both fine. 

Counterspell..... I really wish this ability was better. This isn't a Ox Mage problem, counter spell across the board should just get changed. The effect is fine (needing to discard) but the aura makes it so bad. It should either affect just the counter spell bearer regardless of range. Or it should provide some kind of benefit to friendly models within the aura range (not necessarily the current discard effect) 

Onto the back of the card. They have two attack actions. I'm not sure they need it. Certainly they need something to defend themselves but it shouldn't be their focal point. 

So looking at Flaming Fury, I feel like it should get more generalized. Sandeep's keyword is supposed to be "elemental" but it seems entirely too fire focused. Ox Mages in M2E had much more general elemental vibes. I'd love to see that part make a return. Pushes for wind, staggered for ice, burning for fire, poison etc. 

As for Elemental Bolt, I think the trigger is the interesting bit and the one worth being the focal point. If you want to have a trigger that does some damage then so be it, but I don't think it's really necessary. 

Arcane Conduit is super awkward and highly situational in its current form. I would probably just drop this entirely for something new. Likely something to do with markers. Ice pillars, pyre and scrap markers don't really have any particular synergy with Academics despite many of the elementals utilizing them. Maybe something that targets an ice pillar/pyre/scrap marker and drops a ice pillar/pyre/scrap of your choice in contact with it. 

TLDR

• Drop to 5ss
  • Fix Counterspell into something actually relevant 
  • Change Flaming Fury into a Arcane Fury (Stat 5 but essentially the same as the effigy) and give it a bunch of triggers based on elements - not just fire
  • Replace Elemental Bolt with Elemental Transference.
  • Change Arcane Conduit to manipulate the elemental specific markers.

So these changes serve to focus the Ox Mage into more of a support piece. Backing up the elemental models on the front line, providing healing (mantra) and messing around with conditions and markers. Not a powerhouse model, or a particularly durable one. However, they have the tools to carve out a unique role and has enough utility to form as the basis of Academic crew. At 5ss, maybe you'd consider running multiples.   

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Another idea would be to focus on the attack but more on the triggers.

Arcane Fury: Rg:8 Stat:5 Rst:Df   Target suffers 1/2/3

:tome Blaze: Models damaged by this action gain burning +1 for each :tome in this actions final duel total (to a maximum of burning +2)

:tome Chill: Models damaged by this action gain slow

:tome Strong Winds: Push the target up to 2" away from this model for each :tome in this actions final duel total (to a maximum of 6")

:tome Patchwork Plating: This model gains Shielded +1 for each :tome in this actions final duel total (to a maximum of Shielded +2)

:ToS-Fast:Arcane Conduit: Rg:- Stat:5 TN:10 Rst:-    This model may add + :tome to its duel totals for each differently named elemental model within 4"

• Like 2

My main issue with the Oxfordian mage is still my main issue with the Vidiya Guard as well. Wyrd wants to sell me three of these guys and I usually don't have room for even one...

The other issue is that once again, these guys are all about punching things which as we know we have an abundance of. However unlike the Oxfordians, these models are actually approaching golem costs so that direct comparison is a lot more obvious.

So that got me thinking of what a 6ss Vidiya Guard would look like?

I don't hate their current set of rules. My only real complaint rule wise is that they feel a bit boring and don't really synergize with the arcane feel of the rest of the keyword. And as mentioned above, I don't like them being simply hired muscle when we have way better options with the golems.

So at 6ss I think they'd need to drop some stats. Likely Df5 and 6Wds. Their Mantra is okay but is probably the weakest Mantra of the bunch IMO. The rest of the front of their card is solid.

On the back, if moving to 6ss, they'd probably need to drop to a stat 5 on their balanced sword. Triggers are fine.

I don't think they need Follow My Path seeing how their Mantra does the same thing. Personally I'd rather see this dropped and the Chakram moved to a free action (keeping the trigger but loosing the built in suit)

In replacement of Follow My Path, having Heroic Intervention seems like a better fit. While it's not a free action, it does still scoot models out of engagement and allows this model to gain a pseudo charge from it. This would give it a bit more of a unique role outside of the Golems, but still retaining the martial feel.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 12:24 AM, Jordon said:

Counterspell..... I really wish this ability was better. This isn't a Ox Mage problem, counter spell across the board should just get changed. The effect is fine (needing to discard) but the aura makes it so bad. It should either affect just the counter spell bearer regardless of range. Or it should provide some kind of benefit to friendly models within the aura range (not necessarily the current discard effect) 

This please. Everytime I see a model with Counterspell and the way the aura works, I think 'nice blank text'...

• Agree 4