Errata 2022 - Outcast

50 SS Enforcer

I truly hope to see some sort of buff thrown the way of Desperate Mercenaries and Winged Plagues. It was odd that in Malifaux Burns neither of those gained an option to be summoned, given how prevalent summoning subpar Cost 4 models was across the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mad Dog nerfed based on how much ire his name appears to draw online. I am confused by just how popular that opinion is though. I mean he costs 11 OOK and I myself can't justify that price very often. There must clearly be some Outcast players hiring him in every Keyword, but for the price and the need to have another model dropping markers for him most turns he's never struck me as unreasonable. I pull him in when I know I'm really going to need anti armour and I'm not confident my Keyword can deal with it, but that's not that often an occurrence. Maybe it's just Guild players who are getting frustrated with him?

Wyrd hasn't chosen to make any changes on this level yet but I really hope they see fit to errata Drop It! to let the Bandit player place the scheme marker. It would actually make one of Parker2's headline abilities function and it would just be a good quality of life change. The only problem is that the change would impact all of Bandit and several Guard models, which is a bigger shift than any they've made in previous errata's.

I'm not expecting to see Title changes this early but if any are made I could see some Tara2 changes to make the Turn 1 kidnap more problematic. That's the only Outcast Master I've heard described as in any way problematic so I wouldn't anticipate more than that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think that pretty much just sums up the people who don't like Mad Dog - the people who have to rely on armor for defensive tech xD

I mean on the one hand don't drop those models into Outcasts, the faction where at least five of the eight Keywords have the ability to ignore armour in Keyword.

On the other hand... sorry Guild.

• Agree 1

Winged Plague and Desperate Mercs getting some love would be nice. I’d like to see the desolation engine improved as well. I’m not sure if Abominations themselves need any improvement since summoning them is more prevalent. 

I feel like Mad Dog may get some kind of nerf even though I don’t really think he is a problem. He gets a lot of complaints but he is a 10ss model. He should be relatively strong. 

Some underperforming  enforcers that I’d like to see improved are Johan, Lazarus, and Bishop. I’d also personally like to see the Drachen trooper buffed! 

For henchmen, I’d like to see some kind of buff to Taelor. 

For nerfs, I’d expect something to be done about the Tara kidnapping. I could see them capping bleeding disease at 5 damage for consistency and because it does get complained about every now and then. 

• Like 1

I do think Bleeding Disease getting capped seems increasingly unlikely, given some of the titles also bring uncapped damage. Kirai2 is one (soft capped by the engagement limitations, but it's not like Blight going to 6+ ranges is all that likely since the average model is usually dead before it gets there), and Kaeris2 and the Corpse Curator more indirectly. 

Absolutely agree on Taelor, Lazarus, and Johann. I actually like Bishop, he's my favourite model in the Viks crew, but I'll not say no to a buff to him. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

Winged Plague and Desperate Mercs getting some love would be nice. I’d like to see the desolation engine improved as well. I’m not sure if Abominations themselves need any improvement since summoning them is more prevalent. 

I feel like Mad Dog may get some kind of nerf even though I don’t really think he is a problem. He gets a lot of complaints but he is a 10ss model. He should be relatively strong. 

Some underperforming  enforcers that I’d like to see improved are Johan, Lazarus, and Bishop. I’d also personally like to see the Drachen trooper buffed! 

For henchmen, I’d like to see some kind of buff to Taelor. 

For nerfs, I’d expect something to be done about the Tara kidnapping. I could see them capping bleeding disease at 5 damage for consistency and because it does get complained about every now and then. 

Why would you nerf Maddog? He is already going down rather fast and they upped him to 10 making him 11 OOK.

With you on Lazarus and Johan, i think bishop is just very matchup and positioning dependend, and as he is a 3 AP Model any kind of buff must be subtle because of the multiplier. Lazarus just needs a decent 6vsDF 12'' 2/3/5 Shooting action imho.

I rather like Taylor, why does she need a buff?  like HTW or armor 1 or what do you have in mind?

why would you cap bleeding disease? it's the one thing thats attractive about hamelin. Apart from loads of rats. Honestly i think weakening Hamelin isn't necessary

59 minutes ago, Azahul said:

I mean on the one hand don't drop those models into Outcasts, the faction where at least five of the eight Keywords have the ability to ignore armour in Keyword.

On the other hand... sorry Guild.

Buuuuut.... if you drop those models against someone without AntiArmor Tech than it is mostly GG already, so i think a model like MadDog would be needed in any faction.

I rather not have the Armor +2 Balls, which are far more off the Mark than any Model with decent ArmorPenetration in my opinion.

• Like 1

Could get some love:

- Desperate Mercenaries.

- Winged Plague.

- Convict Gunslingers.

- Drachen Trooper. 

- Hans. 

- Taelor. 

- Lazarus. 

- Soldier for Hire.

- Wanted Criminal (again). 

What I think are gona get some love:

- None

Should be toned down a bit:

- Maybe Yannick-Von Schill combo

What I think is gonna be nerfed:

- Marlena Webster

- Desolation Engine

- Abomination. 

- Hollow Waif

- Mad Dog (too much cry about him) 

48 minutes ago, Gheist said:

Why would you nerf Maddog? He is already going down rather fast and they upped him to 10 making him 11 OOK.

With you on Lazarus and Johan, i think bishop is just very matchup and positioning dependend, and as he is a 3 AP Model any kind of buff must be subtle because of the multiplier. Lazarus just needs a decent 6vsDF 12'' 2/3/5 Shooting action imho.

I rather like Taylor, why does she need a buff?  like HTW or armor 1 or what do you have in mind?

why would you cap bleeding disease? it's the one thing thats attractive about hamelin. Apart from loads of rats. Honestly i think weakening Hamelin isn't necessary

The things I listed as getting nerfed aren’t what I want, they are what I anticipate or could see them doing. I even said that I don’t think Mad Dog needs a nerf, but he gets complaints. I also don’t see weakening Hamelin as necessary, but like I said in my previous post, it receives complaints. Honestly though, a cap at 5 isn’t a big deal for him. What @Azahulsaid does make sense though. There is more uncapped damage in the game now, so it’s not so much of an outlier anymore. 

Taelor just needs more to do. A lot of the “good” models in her price range have pseudo 3 ap. This said, I have used her for her ruthless before in keyword so at least she has a place currently. 

I'm glad people are getting use out of Bishop. My problem with him has always been his lack of defensive tech. He can go down quite quickly which feels bad at that cost. I suppose that just means I need to be more careful so try his positioning. 

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Could get some love:

- Desperate Mercenaries.

- Winged Plague.

- Convict Gunslingers.

- Drachen Trooper. 

- Hans. 

- Taelor. 

- Lazarus. 

- Soldier for Hire.

- Wanted Criminal (again). 

What I think are gona get some love:

- None

Should be toned down a bit:

- Maybe Yannick-Von Schill combo

What I think is gonna be nerfed:

- Marlena Webster

- Desolation Engine

- Abomination. 

- Hollow Waif

- Mad Dog (too much cry about him) 

Oof, that's a negative spin. Are the Amalgam models just because they're all the Leveticus models that haven't been nerfed or is there a legitimate rationale behind the dread overpowered nature of the Hollow Waif?

1 hour ago, Azahul said:

Oof, that's a negative spin. Are the Amalgam models just because they're all the Leveticus models that haven't been nerfed or is there a legitimate rationale behind the dread overpowered nature of the Hollow Waif?

I don't see why any amalgam should be nerfed. It always felt like an allright opponent after the Nerf of Levi

1 hour ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

The things I listed as getting nerfed aren’t what I want, they are what I anticipate or could see them doing. I even said that I don’t think Mad Dog needs a nerf, but he gets complaints. I also don’t see weakening Hamelin as necessary, but like I said in my previous post, it receives complaints. Honestly though, a cap at 5 isn’t a big deal for him. What @Azahulsaid does make sense though. There is more uncapped damage in the game now, so it’s not so much of an outlier anymore. 

Taelor just needs more to do. A lot of the “good” models in her price range have pseudo 3 ap. This said, I have used her for her ruthless before in keyword so at least she has a place currently. 

I'm glad people are getting use out of Bishop. My problem with him has always been his lack of defensive tech. He can go down quite quickly which feels bad at that cost. I suppose that just means I need to be more careful so try his positioning. 

hm... i don't not know if complaints should resolve in nerfs, i'm always hoping that complaints are good for a shift in the meta. If armor is crying about anti armor thats really no need for a change :D, it's really their responsibility to get sensitive to when to deploy the tanks...

Taylor has a rather cheap way to get fast via the student of conflict, which will get more tabletime due to the title Viks. I had good sucess with fast+Focused Taylor which can get 21 inch Threat-Range and will most likely hit anything for 6 dmg. Shrug off is situational but with the new mass incoming of stunned slow and staggered it's honestly such a good skill for a brawler. The only thing i always felt is that she kinda dies a bit too fast, but that's the theme of the crew, live fast, die young.

Bishop is iffy vs ranged. There is always the question if you are using enough Terrain then. Otherwise he is a liability when vendetta is in the pool. if you can apply pressure with other models Bishop can control the other flank and get u points, no other scheme runner can really compete 1v1 (bar maybe First Mate)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Azahul said:

Yes, Amalgam didn't need so many nerfs, but they were nerfed anyway, so I assume they're gonna follow their own path xD. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I could toss in a recommendation for the Malifaux child. I know it's a 3ss significant model so it's difficult to say much. However I am continually disappointed with his "just like you" having nothing good to copy. Seems like everything has either a unreasonably high TN, lists a model by name, or is a free action. I would rather have an ability that does something consistently than something that is restricted to the point of irrelevancy. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

He can copy Appraise with a 6, wich is quite interesting. Also the healing from Effigy/Emissary for a 9 or a 8, bit when you need healing you wouldn't mind. And the Democratic Elections from Yannic with a 7.

In Tormented, he can copy Covetous Cravings from the Dead Outlaw with a 7,  Whispered Thruts from Daw1 with an 8 or Draw Them In and Unquiet Soul from Daw2 with a 6.

In Freikorps he can copy Bulldoze from Schill2 with a 7, Vent Steam from Metallurgist for free, Move or Burn from the Drachen for 6 or the Healing Energy from Librarian for an 8.

In Plague he can cast Pustulent Tumors from Ham1 with an 8 or Rat Snack from Rat Catchers for free. 

In Obliteration he can copy Expedite from Tara2 for a 9, Channeled Healing from Karina would cost also a 9, while Accelerate Time from NB would be a 8.

In Mercenary, Dragon's Bite from Viki1 is a 9, but would mean move both Vikis out of their activation, Treasure Seekers from Viki2 is only a 5 and useful, Covetous Cravings from the Student with a 8 or Healing Energy from Vanessa with an 8.

In Bandit he can copy Bandit Raid from Parker1 with an 8 and Chaos in the Badlands from Parker2 with a 7, the Emergency Surgery from Doc Mitchell with a 7, Draw Them In from Pearl with a 7, Walk the Line from Sue with a 8, the Appraise from Smugglers with a 6 (like the one from Prospectors) and Covetous Cravings from the dead Outlaw with a 7.

In Amalgam he can copy Essence Transfer from Leve1 with a 6, or Draw Essence from Ashes&Dust/DE by free. 

Lastly, in Infamous he can copy Drop the Pianos from Zipp1 for a 7, Menacing Croak from First Mate with a 8, Plenty of Wares from Fishbocker with an 8 and the Appraise from Smugglers with a 6.

There's IMHO many interesting actions and allowing a 3ss significant model to do those actions is fine to me. 

I, for example, use to hire one in my Hamelin1 crews, along with a Prospector and the Effigy. For 3ss I have one more model dropping markers for benny, doing Appraise or, if needed, one extra heal or Rat explosion. 

• Agree 1

I disagree about Taelor needing a buff. She has consistently pulled her weight when I've used her.

Mad Dog is a good model that counters both armor and destructible terrain, but he's also expensive and needs support to function, both to gain fast and to get out of engagement. Overall, I don't think he needs a nerf, though that doesn't mean he won't get it.

Capping bleeding disease at 5 is unlikely and also of very little impact. Changing it would require changing three different models at once and it rarely does more than 5 damage anyway since once a model has 5 blighted it has most likely already lost a good chunk of its health.

I hear a lot about the Schill/Yannic combo. It may be worth a nerf though I doubt it'll happen this time since Yannic is still rather new. Personally I haven't gotten the combo to work very well.

For buffs, Hans and Winged Plague are probably the most deserving. Buffing Bishop is risky because he's currently very good if he can stay alive. Even though his lack of survivability often makes him a subpar choice now, buffing him could easily make him too good. Convict Gunslingers are similar but to a lesser degree, giving them a slight defensive buff might make them viable.

Soldier for Hire definitely needs a fix. The soulstone generation is irrelevant in at least 99% of the games and there is no longer any model that can take it that will pay 2 stones for Hard to Kill. The card draw is nice but we lack minions killy enough to take advantage of it. Maybe Wokou Raiders or Convict Gunslingers (if buffed), but those make better use of Wanted Criminal. I imagine it's great on Mature Nephilim though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

I just think mercenary needs a new model in keyword, feels like taelor and bishop are situational hires, which is fine, I just have no idea how to build this keyword anymore, which is funny because I one tricked them for at least 6 months in 2nd edition. I personally would love to see barbaros buffed and added to this keyword, and maybe barbaros can have a front of the card ability if you hire him, to be able to hire tots. Add it to nephlim loyalist.

What I want to be buffed:
- 4ss minions like Desp Merc and Winged plague. I don't play too much but never saw it on table / battle report etc. 

What would be nice to have, may happen with buff or next models
- Some versatile model to have card draw / card cycle. Yanic combo is nice, but I would like to have model with nefarious pact or something like this, maybe Barbaros?
- Easier non destructible marker removal. Yes we have Zipp or Von schill , but would be nice to have it on some model, so can be taken into any crew. Mad Dog cannot destroy them all.

Not happen, but I wish for it:
- Change for Levi, I dislike his errata from last time. I prefer errata like Youko (change whole card, give new things). Not like Levi - take something away, bump his melee by 1. For me his unique thing was taken and now it fells more like henchman with 3 ap (have in mind I am very salty about any Levi changes. I may still be overreacting)
- Some bigger rework on Parker1 maybe Parker2. I think both versions are too situational and it's better to focus on Mad Dog then Parker. 

4 and 5 stone minions need their across the board buff/reworks.  That should touch a huge number of our problem children (Winged Plagues, Desperate Mercenaries, Abominations, Bandidos, et al)

Desolation Engine - After nerfing Levi repeatedly, can we please buff this stinker?  Now that they've reworked Taelos it's the worst non-4/5er in faction.  It's criminally easy to remove from the table before it gets any relevant actions in.  Or at a minimum please let it reform easily.  You have Calypso and Bebe now which in addition to being 3000% more useful than a Desolation Engine can trivially reform after Calypso dies.  That's just rubbing salt in our wounds.  This model is a joke.  Maybe have aboms turn scrap into aboms if they start their activation next to scrap?  That way when it dies you have to rapidly kill the Abom or it makes new ones and reforms the engine? I dunno. This model has been iconic to Levi in fluff and a total joke in stats for three editions now, can we possibly fix it? 

Convict Gunslinger - If you dropped his cost to 7 he still wouldn't be an autoinclude. In fact he might not be taken.  That's a good sign someone needs some help.  I understand they don't like gunlines, but this guy is pure trash. He needs a big buff.  I might up his wounds to 8 change bulletproof to armor, eliminate Onslaught, add Ricochet instead, and give him Rapid Fire. 

Lazarus - I understand he has a grenade launcher, but this entire faction is full of blasts and shockwaves.  A dedicated shockwave model is not needed.  Give him Solid Shell 6, Once Per Activation 3/4/5 damage shot ignoring armor.  That gives him a real role in the crew.

Bishop/Taelor - Please buff these two.  Please.

Drachen Trooper - Make him Mv 6 and remove the :ranged icon from his attack.  No reason for it to have it. 

Mad Dog - If they nerf him then we know for a fact that Wyrd doesn't make decisions based on anything but whining.  That'd be a real bad look. 

Upgrades - does someone hate us and think we should get bad upgrades?  There was literally one niche use of Soldier for Hire and they removed it.  Wanted Criminal is again stupidly niche (now it's a new niche).  We have one upgrade with three decent abilities printed on it, and it's still the most taken one by far. 

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

Haha, yeah, our upgrades make me cringe. I sometimes look at Servant and then look over at Grave Spirit's Touch which does the same thing... if you assume you kill a model every activation with your Servant model. Obviously Blasphemous Ritual (in a faction with corpse generation) vs Herald is a bit of an apples/oranges situation, in Daw and one or two other Keywords I like the Herald more, but we have a few (Bandit for example) with damage tracks that would love Focus and no way to give it to them en mass. Still, those two are impossible to compare so I'm inclined to call it a wash.

So that's our only decent upgrade and it still seems to fall short when compared to a nearly identical upgrade in another faction (since the healing is inferior).

• Agree 1

Technically you can heal more with Servant than with Touch, but it's hard to pull off. Over all, Servant is good but not amazing.

Wanted Criminal is good on a few models, but it is much more situational than most upgrades in the game.

I can think of exactly one model that can make good use Soldier for Hire and that one requires using Barbaros as a leader.

• Agree 1