2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Shock & Awe

On 1/8/2022 at 2:15 PM, Shock & Awe said:
  • PS - anyone with the puppet rider set know where the contact point is for this part of the bridle on the mech rider??? 
  • DC2CA652-75CE-43B4-9A8B-967BCCC11A8F.jpeg

Today the January miniature releases video came out and it includes rotating 3d renders of all the sculpts. Had a look at Mech Rider in it and that end of the bridle is actually just floating in the air in the 3d render, doesn't look like it is meant to attatch to anything.

• Thanks 1

Finished my pledge, for the most part. Need to varnish and then add the pigments to Basse's base. Just waiting on a part for my airbrush. 

Also it turns out Bernadette was a changeling all along. Who knew? 19pts ready to go. 

I would love some C&C on Basse though. Relatively happy with it but I've been out of practice for a bit and would like to improve again. 

PXL_20220119_200722431~2.jpg

PXL_20220119_200844975~2.jpg

• Like 8

Looks like @Gheist’s and @Brushgit’s Saurus’s got put up Wyrd’s Twitter account today ;) 

a testament to your stellar brush work gentlemen. 

and your dedication to detailing all those spines :) 

both really excellent work. Thanks for giving me (and all of us) such a high level to aspire to! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, TimH said:

EELS

DSC01650.thumb.JPG.b1f998c93424f9d1266efb24c497e75a.JPG

I love these guys, the model design is cool and they have neat rules on the tabletop. I have 2 more to paint from the Nightmare box but between 4 physical models and a load of tokens I think I should be fine for eels regardless of how many times they manage to split.

Then finally capping off the month I ended up painting Horomatangi

DSC01645.thumb.JPG.ed56a3df74f44ab01ac330cd5d1ad01e.JPGDSC01646.thumb.JPG.8ba1091fcbc9a422e2297549836b9b5d.JPGDSC01647.thumb.JPG.697e86cf8399b0d5b568dad270fa89dd.JPG

The original plan was just to get some work done on his base and have the model fully prepped (he had some big gaps to greenstuff and a fair few mold lines) but once he was all sprayed up it was hard to resist getting some paint on the big lad.

With Horomatangi thrown in that brings me to 63 points of Other Side painted up for the month. Any further painting done this month on the other side I will try to limit to pre painting some bases and squad trays for next month (which might be tricky as I have run out of brown and need to get some more)

Damn you :D everytime you post pictures i am tempted to start painting my Gibbering Hordes as well.

Love the Eels !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gheist said:

Damn you :D everytime you post pictures i am tempted to start painting my Gibbering Hordes as well.

Love the Eels !

Thanks! You definitely should start painting the Hordes, more Other Side Pictures are great to see! From a Hobby perspective the titans and the commanders are the only things that have really needed much work on removing excess plastic and filling in gaps. If yours are anything like mine there's a gap you probably want to fill in the Stormsiren's wave and then a bit of work to put in on all the frenzy models and both titans. Horo had a pretty big gap running down his torso and along his tail but a little bit of green stuff work has really smoothed all of that over. The lack of clothes and accesories for everyone has really helped in cleaning them up.

The devouring eels have no gaps or excess plastic so a big recommend from me! From what I can tell they are two pieces of plastic? The entire body and then the tongue. Only real complaint is that the smallest set of eyes (the tiny ones near the nostrils) aren't very well defined, but considering the general quality of the rest of the model I can forgive that. Also big ty to wyrd for boxing them with 50mm Devouring Eel tokens for proxying your spawned eels with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brushgit said:

Finished the other Gamin.

Really not looking forward to the golem... That NMM just takes a lot of time and patience.

But just Golem, the third akaname and Cooper Jones left of tri-chi.

Gonna paint some testsubjects and Brin in order to be able to play with my tricksy crew next

Whiskey_Gamin (2) (2).jpg

Whiskey_Gamin (1) (2).jpg

Ah come on :D that NMM does look so good though

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @Viruk. Would you suggest going in with something like a wash on some of the materials just to tint it down a bit more in the shadows, or going in with something a bit more opaque?

Also, love your paint job on the Geryons. It's nice to see them with so much color, as opposed to to the normal grey on the box art.

5 hours ago, OctaBit said:

Would you suggest going in with something like a wash on some of the materials just to tint it down a bit more in the shadows, or going in with something a bit more opaque?

I'd say start with some washes in the recesses, just targeting deepest folds and then bring back base/final highlight color on the raised areas. Start with one section, e.g. gloves, get a feel for it, see if you enjoy the process and if yes carry over to other elements. At the end of the day you should be having fun - your mini already looks very good, now it's a matter of how much more you want to put into it while still enjoying the process :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

So much good work this month, I missed how much inspiration one gets to keep painting just by looking at how creative the people in this challenge get! 

@Brushgit There is so much to admire in all the things you’ve painted… I don’t know where to start. The saliva look on the Malisaurus tongue is really cool (small detail, but it really caught my eye). I don’t know if you have experience with Kanji (the Chinese/Japanese characters) but the balance of your Sake (酒 = alcohol (or rice wine if we’re being technical)) is quite good. Even my wife (who is Japanese) was impressed when I told her that had to be freehand. Interesting take on the alcohol in the Popcorn Turner’s cup as well… almost looks like water, which we know that group is not drinking 😊 . The NMM and the rust effects on the gamin is spot on as well – along with the eyes! Man those are good.

@Viruk The fire work is amazing and definitely something I’ll look to in the future the next time I have to mess with fire. I particularly like the backs of their coats. The detail with the spotting and the transitions is really amazing. I also really like the Geryons – which I watched you paint in the Twitch video last night and learned a lot!

@TimH the bases and all the models for the Storm Siren came out really well. The individual bases and the main pieces all blend really well. That is something I have no faith I could do, so it’s interesting to see how you conceptualized it. I like the tongue work on your eels and Horomatangi (I had a weird this with tongues this month….)

@wobbly_goggy basic nothing, the beard and the shirt are really good. The overall feel of the model is perfect in my opinion.

@Maciej I completely agree with Brushgit, the freehand on the pants and scarf are mesmerizing. I stated at it for a few minutes just trying to think how I’d do that and still don’t have an answer. Great work.

@Strangely Brown nice work on the lightning and Melissa’s gun looks sick. Just a personal take, but the armor on Hoffman and the bricks in the base feel like they are blending together when I look at it. I wonder if it might be a good idea to try and contrast them a bit? But, that’s coming from someone who did a very similar thing this month with my poltergeist.

@OctaBit I love how natural all the transitions are on your Basse. The colors are really smooth and it just looks so clean. I need to figure out how to do that 😊 Those bases for Lucius are wicked! I love the vibrant colors.

@feagaur The OSL on both of your models is very subtle, which I personally think is amazing. I am still trying to work my head around how to do that.

Keep up the amazing work everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3