Pack with explosives damage source

Fingalen

Question

I’ve got a question regarding the Pack with explosives trigger. If a model targeted by this trigger deals damage with it, who is deals that damage? Sparks or the target? I am right to assume that the damage is generated by the trigger?

For example, if the buffed target is hit by Black blood, it starts the loop ending in a dead nephilim or target's Shielded condition reduced to zero. And in case it kills that nephilim, it counts as being killed by Sparks, correct?

4 answers to this question

6 hours ago, malyzubor said:

I’ve got a question regarding the Pack with explosives trigger. If a model targeted by this trigger deals damage with it, who is deals that damage? Sparks or the target? I am right to assume that the damage is generated by the trigger?

Yeah, it's the trigger that's generating the damage.  But...

6 hours ago, malyzubor said:

For example, if the buffed target is hit by Black blood, it starts the loop ending in a dead nephilim or target's Shielded condition reduced to zero. And in case it kills that nephilim, it counts as being killed by Sparks, correct?

A target buffed with that trigger in range of Black Blood will start such a loop, yeah.  But the attribution won't be that Sparks killed someone.  From the rules:

Killed models are always considered to be killed by the model that generated the Action or Ability that killed them (as well as by that model’s Crew). If a model is killed by another effect (such as a Condition or Hazardous Terrain), it is not considered to have been killed by any player, model, or Crew.

The effect of that trigger is going to be in the 'by any other effect' clause, as far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, solkan said:

The effect of that trigger is going to be in the 'by any other effect' clause, as far as I can tell.

Why would it be so? If the damage source is Sparks' trigger (i.e. Sparks' action), it means Sparks generated the action that killed the black blood model, doesn't it?

On 12/16/2021 at 3:27 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, I'd allocate kill credit to Sparks (since his action does the killing blow).

I would also agree with this. It's odd to have the trigger operate outside of the attack's usual timing structure for resolving triggers, but the damage is clearly referencing Sparks's action.

There are examples of damage coming from multiple sources at once even when it is using a "sourceless" condition (e.g., Scorch the Soul FAQ), but here, it is very clear that the only thing controlling the assignation of damage is Sparks' trigger.