Bultungin overlooked?

AngelRogue

in M2E, bultungins had an ability allowing them to take an attack action when, iirc, they were pushed at the cost of a card discard.

if wonder if this were implemented on them again if it would be too strong or not.

the fea and savage keywords don't have many / any things that let them push/move friendly units ( at least not without damaging ), but perhaps if they were given a version of m2e's pounce, letting them attack a model moved near them, which fae / savage have a lot of ways to make that happen. tho i get such an ability was changed for a reason, perhaps it might still work on a model like bultungin, especially if they add restrictions, such as : card discard, once per activation/turn, only one model with this ability, etc.

Well, the errata includes - increased durability (a weakness noted in this thread), removed pack mentality (an ability called out as not being great here), and changed their terrain ability to work for both keywords (working for both keywords was noted here as well).

So you could say they listened.  But given the likely timeline for going from 'this model needs changes' to Wyrd pushes button on errata release, I doubt it was actually this thread.  I suspect if you go back you'll see similar comments on Bultungin from close to m3e release, which no doubt Wyrd has been listening to for a while and working on changes in background for a while, and now is when they think they've hit it right.

• Like 1

This thread probably didn't affect the beta directly, but I think it was a common perception that the Bultungin (and the bloodwretch as well) needed a buff. However, I think that the playtesters read (or even posted in) this thread and that the changes with the errata indeed got some influence from it.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Saviouress said:

So after a couple of weeks, how is everyone's feelings on the Bultungin?

I'm currently playing Titania1 and Euripides1 and I don't find space for a Bultungin in any of my lists to be honest.

I have only played them just to try them out with Titania, and they're actually playable now. But when it comes to serious play, I have difficulty finding a place for them. I do consider them now though, which is an improvement.

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

With fae and savage they seem good for a cheap models but lack that extra oomph a competitive model needs. 

Zoraida can combo them with spawn mother to summon tons of minions to run schemes. That's the best use I've heard of.

I think part of it is that they're finally decent compared to their contemporaries, the problem is, the current game structure means their contemporaries are also lacking.

There's a clear issue with cheap vs expensive, in terms of efficiency, but also with regards the current scheme pools.

If those issues are fixed, then the Bultingin and similar models will have a role. If not, then the sub-8 models (at least as a purchase, not a summon) will continue to remain only for those with a specific dedicated purpose (Guilty tarpit, Lawyer/Nurse support, etc), rather than general viability.