Are the tales from malfaux from the audio thing official?

Mr Oogie Boogie

Do you mean Tales from Malifaux on the Breechside Broadcast?

Because they are reading the Stories from the books, so the stories are all cannon. 

There may be a difference between Malifaux the world and Malifaux the city. I can't remember Wongs story to comment on that particular story though. 

I don't think I've ever seen a "law" banning Gremlins from the City as such, but they are often seen as a pest. They may also not be covered by guild law, I don't know. 

Edit- it's 66 not 64, if people want to listen. 

3 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

and yeah tales of malifaux on breachside broadcast everyone just stares at him, gthe guard the merchents the ticket vendor the snack guy lol 

I can't remember exactly but I believe the city he went to was edge point, not malifaux itself, however gremlins arent so much banned from malifaux as widely shunned, but their have been gremlins going around freely

44 minutes ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

is it a case of gremlins can go anywhere as long as they arnt causing trouble?

They can but it's the same deal as seeing a goblin walking around in other settings, even if that goblins not starting crap to most it would be a fair assumption to assume they're about theyre about to, luckily for gremlins though they don't seem to be seen as being as inately hostile

41 minutes ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

just cos i heard malifaux buys a LOT of pork off them so trhere must be gremlin traders

I don't remember if I'm pulling this out of my ass or not, but I think most of that's handled in edge point, a city at the edge of the bayou where gremlins are mostly welcomed and there's a train going back to malifaux city for transport 

only place i know in warhammer where goblins can walk freely in a human city is marienberg, where they worked with all the races as mercenaries. so they sorta can just walk around carefully.  

also the fact that it hints gremlins arnt from malifaux originally did make me wonder, if they arnt from there originally did they fall through a breach from another world? 

6 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

also the fact that it hints gremlins arnt from malifaux originally did make me wonder, if they arnt from there originally did they fall through a breach from another world? 

This may be a "New York City" vs. "New York State" problem, because the origin of the Gremlin race is covered in the RPG books, between the Bayou and Nightmare books, especially.

Nightmares goes into detail about the Neverborn, and I thought it had a reference to the Gremlin origin but I can't find it at the moment.  The Neverborn eventually became everything from Woes and Mimics to the Grootslang and Silirids, but the Gremlins were pretty much just pre-existing swamp monkeys that grew up after the Tyrant conflict.

As for what people think about the Gremlins, from "Into the Bayou", there's this:

While the Guild doesn't consider the Gremlins as a whole to be a significant threat, they still don't have a fond opinion of the little creatures. Gremlin raids on human homesteads and Guild convoys are common near the Bayou, and rather than launch what would no doubt be a disastrous and pointless attack on the Bayou, the Guild has decided to fight back in smaller ways.

The most significant is the creation of the Austringers, a branch of the Guild Guard that trains raptors from the Bayou to hunt Gremlins. The birds, which are nearly as intelligent as their prey and far less drunk, are quite successful at this task, and their patrols along the Bayou's borders have proven to be a strong deterrent against Gremlin raids.

The Guild also pays out a two scrip bounty per Gremlin corpse delivered to one of their outposts.  ...

There's plenty of material in the stories about trade with the Gremlins (is it Ulix who has the story about the Golden Pig?), and at least one first edition story featuring Gremlins eating an expedition of people.  So, a bit varied?  🤨  

I think how Gremlins would be explained in universe would be the same way park guides explain wild animals--if you get kicked in the head by a deer, ran over by a buffalo, or startle a bear, it's your fault for not staying away from it--pointing out that these particular wild animals are also very intelligent and can act like people when they want to.  

• Like 1

I've always assumed that the general GW fluff disclaimer is in effect here - these are things that the people writing the reports in universe believe happened.  They are probably based on actual events.  So the Ultramarines truly believe their chapter master fought a Daemon Prince 1 on 1 and came out victorious.  It might be that almost no one else in their entire universe thinks this happened, but they wrote it and believe it as a true story.  

"And then the Gremlins ate my entire crew!  Those gremlins, they eat people out there in the bayou!" is exactly the time to apply this disclaimer.  

1 hour ago, RisingPhoenix said:

I've always assumed that the general GW fluff disclaimer is in effect here - these are things that the people writing the reports in universe believe happened.  They are probably based on actual events.  So the Ultramarines truly believe their chapter master fought a Daemon Prince 1 on 1 and came out victorious.  It might be that almost no one else in their entire universe thinks this happened, but they wrote it and believe it as a true story.  

"And then the Gremlins ate my entire crew!  Those gremlins, they eat people out there in the bayou!" is exactly the time to apply this disclaimer.  

I don't think that's the case here, the one with going to a bar and beating von schill was critical to another story that happened I'm pretty sure

39 minutes ago, fire5tone said:

I don't think that's the case here, the one with going to a bar and beating von schill was critical to another story that happened I'm pretty sure

That doesn't mean all of them are false either.  It means that most of it is true, some of it is embellished, and some of it is just what someone happens to believe.  I think the phrase is "all of it is canon, most of it happened."