Who am I hiring?

MrBabash

Hi there friends!
First of all, sorry for my english.
I was trying to learn the game in M2, but nobody was playing here and I had to learn the game by myself, and it was really difficult.
Now it looks like Malifaux is a totally new game, it is "lighter" and better. Is it true? 
I'm going to try again to learn it with a friend, and of course I must choose a faction/crew.
I had Reva, Perdita and Lady Justice, I sold the first two and now I just have Lady J but I'm not sure I want to stick with her/The Guild.
The problem is, since I don't know how to play, I don't know what kind of gameplay I'd like to play. I usually went for "charge and destroy" (Chaos Warriors in WH Fantasy, for example.)
I don't want something too difficult to start with, but neither something too much braindead. 
The crews that look interesting to me at the moment are:
Guild: Sonnia Criid
Resurrectionists: Seamus, Dr. McMourning, probably Molly and Jack Daw
Neverborn: Pandora, Zoraida, The Dreamer, Nekima, Euripides
Arcanists: Colette, Toni, probably Mei Feng and Kaeris
Explorers: English Ivan, Jedza, Anya, Lord Cooper

As you can see, there a lot of masters that interest me. But I'm sure most of them would not fit a new player or my playstyle, so I wait for your opinions!
Ps: Should I choose a master which is in the faction with most of the crews I like? In that case, it would be Neverborn, but I heard they are glass-cannons and not forgiving your mistakes? 

• Like 1

Rule of Cool is always the first priority to pick a crew, means that you should choose the crew appeals to you the most. Especially we are having a new wave of master title that gives a different playstyle to every master in the game.

Picking a single Faction is not as important as it was back in 2E. Thanks to the keyword system, you can always jumping into a new master by buying 2~3 boxes, but not the whole Faction. You can have couple keywords in different Factions and still have fair game against others who play single Faction, as long as you are not playing in fixed-Faction tournament.

Another direction is to pick masters according to the pairing in the new book. Wyrd is releasing new contents in the format of 2 master plus a new model that can be used with both masters. Picking masters in pair can make the most use of the new boxes.

The pairing in the masters you mentioned:

• Molly & Nekima
  • Pandora & Colette
  • Zoraida & Jedza
  • Toni & Anya

As for playstyle, I believe Nekima matches the "Charge and Destroy" the most. She and her keyword are all mobile melee attackers, who can travel a long distance and kill an enemy in an Activation or two. They are fairly squish for sure (otherwise they would be too overpower), but the new version of Nekima is somehow helping this issue. You can choose between the beater Nekima and the Supporter Nekima based on the matchup.

6 hours ago, Rufess said:

Rule of Cool is always the first priority to pick a crew, means that you should choose the crew appeals to you the most. Especially we are having a new wave of master title that gives a different playstyle to every master in the game.

Picking a single Faction is not as important as it was back in 2E. Thanks to the keyword system, you can always jumping into a new master by buying 2~3 boxes, but not the whole Faction. You can have couple keywords in different Factions and still have fair game against others who play single Faction, as long as you are not playing in fixed-Faction tournament.

Another direction is to pick masters according to the pairing in the new book. Wyrd is releasing new contents in the format of 2 master plus a new model that can be used with both masters. Picking masters in pair can make the most use of the new boxes.

The pairing in the masters you mentioned:

• Molly & Nekima
  • Pandora & Colette
  • Zoraida & Jedza
  • Toni & Anya

As for playstyle, I believe Nekima matches the "Charge and Destroy" the most. She and her keyword are all mobile melee attackers, who can travel a long distance and kill an enemy in an Activation or two. They are fairly squish for sure (otherwise they would be too overpower), but the new version of Nekima is somehow helping this issue. You can choose between the beater Nekima and the Supporter Nekima based on the matchup.

Thank you so much! Is any of the masters I mentioned too hard to play for a beginner like me? That would cut down the list to a smaller pool that I should choose from

21 minutes ago, MrBabash said:

Thank you so much! Is any of the masters I mentioned too hard to play for a beginner like me? That would cut down the list to a smaller pool that I should choose from

No master is too difficult if you are keen to learn the game. On the other hand, if you are looking for an easy-to-pick game for casual play, then probably every master is too difficult. Malifaux demands a certain degree of devotion, otherwise it's hard to have fun with it. At least that's what I've learned teaching new players recently. Responding to your question more directly: masters who can act independently from other models (i.e. don't rely on their support/are less synergistic with their keywords) are as a rule easier to play for the first few times; also, I find beaters and summoners easier to pick for beginners than support- or disruption-oriented masters. However, since summoners require a lot of purchases it is usually not recommended to begin with them. It means that you can probably cut off from your list following masters: Seamus, Molly, Jack Daw, Pandora, Zoraida, the Dreamer and Colette. All of them (maybe except the Dreamer, who is pretty boring but has poweful keyword) are super fun to play once you know what you're doing, btw.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

No master is too difficult if you are keen to learn the game. On the other hand, if you are looking for an easy-to-pick game for casual play, then probably every master is too difficult. Malifaux demands a certain degree of devotion, otherwise it's hard to have fun with it. At least that's what I've learned teaching new players recently. Responding to your question more directly: masters who can act independently from other models (i.e. don't rely on their support/are less synergistic with their keywords) are as a rule easier to play for the first few times; also, I find beaters and summoners easier to pick for beginners than support- or disruption-oriented masters. However, since summoners require a lot of purchases it is usually not recommended to begin with them. It means that you can probably cut off from your list following masters: Seamus, Molly, Jack Daw, Pandora, Zoraida, the Dreamer and Colette. All of them (maybe except the Dreamer, who is pretty boring but has poweful keyword) are super fun to play once you know what you're doing, btw.

Thank you! Yeah I'd probably need to learn the game through a master that you can "get rolling" in few games, something too tricky would hold me back from focussing on learning the rules I suppose. What about English Ivan, Lord Cooper, Sonnia, Nekima, Euripides and McMourning? Sorry if I'm asking too much.

13 minutes ago, MrBabash said:

What about English Ivan, Lord Cooper, Sonnia, Nekima, Euripides and McMourning? Sorry if I'm asking too much.

They all seem fine for the beginner. Ivan is a summoner, but he needs only one purchase beside his core box to cover his entire summoning pool. Are you looking for a more specific answer (explaining gameplay, priority purchases etc.)?

1 minute ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

They all seem fine for the beginner. Ivan is a summoner, but he needs only one purchase beside his core box to cover his entire summoning pool. Are you looking for a more specific answer (explaining gameplay, priority purchases etc.)?

If you have time and willing to (about their gameplay), it would be super nice! Otherwise I can look on youtube or specific forums, don't worry!

i disagree. some masters arent able for imitiates. unless is a hardcore game that enjoy studying the rules more than the game itself.

one thing is understand how to play and other "see" the implication of the actions. some are straight forward other are to fit in a strategy being X inches away for a reason or watever. 

any master that manipulate the deck is a bad start. because you can play a lot of other masters without aunderstanding deck / hand optimization. just an example

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raising said:

i disagree. some masters arent able for imitiates. unless is a hardcore game that enjoy studying the rules more than the game itself.

one thing is understand how to play and other "see" the implication of the actions. some are straight forward other are to fit in a strategy being X inches away for a reason or watever. 

any master that manipulate the deck is a bad start. because you can play a lot of other masters without aunderstanding deck / hand optimization. just an example

Thank you! Right now, I'm deciding between Ressers (McMourning, Seamus, Von Schtook, Molly) and Neverborn (Euripides, Nekima, The Dreamer, Zoraida, Pandora). I also like Enlish Ivan, Jedza and Lord Cooper, but I don't think I prefer the Explorers over Neverborn and Rezz.