The great swamp show.

Regelridderen

I just had my second game with Mr. Cooper, not just a blast, but an extravaganza, as my Cooper had a re-match vs the swamp hag.

Break the line, Corner

I took Detonate and Breakthrough

Zoraida chose Outflank and Claim Jump.

And we both ignored Research Mission.

My crew :

Cooper and his monkeys, Baritone Lola, Vasquez, Angelica, The Duet and the big showstopper The Beast Within + 6 stones. (I only took Vogel/Beast because I bought him for Lucius in M2E, and I really wanted to finally field him). 

My opponent brought :

Mama Z, McTavish, The Mate, Bokor, 2 Silurid and some Gupps. 

I placed my markers leaning towards the left flank, while Zoraida placed one in the middle (telegraphing Claim Jump) and one in the right corner. 

Turn 1 : I sent the Monkeys out to scout ahead, while Lola, Vasquez and Angelica moved to secure the left flank - facing off vs a Silurid and a Gupp. Z moved her heavy hitters towards the center, while sending a single Silurid to the right corner where it managed to kick the can. Then Colette opened the ball with a few Presto-changos sending the Coryphee and the beast 8” up the field. The Coryphee kicked the center can, split and kicked it again, and were now stating down at McT and the Mate. Meanwhile the Beast charged towards the rightmost corner but failed to reach the Silurid. 

Turn 2 : Vasquez and Lola secured the left, kicking a can and burning the Silurid and gupp into ash. Angelica managed to kick another, but McT caught up with her and gave her a nasty gator bite. Meanwhile in the center, one of the coryphee was killed off, but the first Mate didn’t finish the job, instead he made his Claim Jump. While the Beast fought to no avail with the Silurid securing the rightmost can. 

Score Cooper 1, Zoraida 2

Turn 3 : Lola and Vasquez came to Angelica’s aid, setting McT on fire and giving him a good thrashing, but he managed to kill poor Angie. The Mate managed to kick the center can back across the line, as the last Coryphee ran to obscure Z’s vision by stabbing her eyes out. In return it took a beating, but still held together. Cooper got back in the game, kicking the center can back across the line and then showed the mate his fanciest sword trick. While the beast finally managed to eat the rightmost Silurid, but the can was still on the wrong side of the line.

Score Cooper 2, Zoraida 2

Turn 4 : I suddenly had an epiphany, I needed to score more than the strategy. I had the Coryphee right on the edge of Z’s deployment zone, but with the Mate threatening to appear from the rear, I decided to try and murder the Bokor instead. It failed and were torn apart, and the grumpy Mate appeared from the corner and hurried towards his center Claim. The beast transformed into Vogel, bringing him in contact with the final can, and two interacts later, it was across the line. 
Lola and Vasquez gave up on trying to murder McT, instead they surrounded him with scheme markers for Detonate. 

Score : Cooper 4, Zoraida 2

Turn 5 : saw some masterpiece fate manipulation from the swamp hag. Cooper started by burying the first Mate, but he still managed to stake his final claim. While Lola and Vasquez suddenly realized that they’d been to eager in setting McT on fire, and with a little euthanisia from the Bokor I was denied my second Detonate point. 

Final score :

Cooper 4 strat + 1 Detonate

Zoraida 1 Strat + 2 Claim Jump 

-

Vogel/beast performed quite well. There were some rough patches of severe terrain on his way to secured the corner - which he could ignore. And once there he had ample power to secure the marker with his 2” reach. 

Lola/Vasquez are a deadly murder duo, piling on Distracted and Burning, combined with their speed. They’re true Nightmares. 

I finally got the hang of using the doves and Presto-Chango. I’m far from proficient, but I now see the use and once I master it, tears will fall. But teleporting the Coryphee and Beast won me the game. 

The Coryphee is scary, but walking a tightrope vs Mama Z with their low willpower. Still, having four AP is impressive. I don’t know whether it was worth sacrificing them in that way, and maybe I should have focused more on simply scheming, once they were reduced to one, but… it worked. And now I think, I’ve wrapped my head on the whole dance apart thing. 

-

All in all, it was a great second game with Cooper. Playing the performers is a wonderful dance - much like the Wood Elves of 6th. Ed. Warhammer, but just like the Wood Elves they feel borderline broken. Compared to my Neverborn I suddenly feel I’m playing on Easy mode. 

What do you think about Performers?

2E0DEEA6-1ACD-49E7-A55C-D3367F70C7E7.jpeg

The silurid saw what was coming - a giant werewolf.

FB868215-8400-4707-ADD3-0BF2EB023952.jpeg

A view down the centreline. Having cleaned up the left flank, Vasquez and Lola kicked the final can and prepared to go save Angelica from the evil gator guy.

A9885917-55B1-4AC5-BF63-9A5ACAD7F664.jpeg

Cooper facing off vs Zoraida after sword tricking the Mate - or rather exchanging courteous glances.

A5D8F448-A1EA-45AF-8DA9-151D15E8D407.jpeg

The centreline mid round one.

CB8E574E-6B06-4FDA-BE73-7596A8B74424.jpeg

The final setup. The Mate staked his Claim, while McT denied me my Detonate by burning to death.

81FCC38E-FECF-46A8-B5F4-0A4E75D78B6E.jpeg

Cooper thanking Zoraida for putting up a good fight, then exchanged tricks of the trade on puppeteering. 

• Like 2