i have a question about the sale

do they sell the old metal miniatures or release them as plastic (yes i know there is no discount and that it is when they sell their limited edition  models)  but do they re-sell the metal ones? or is it just the newer plastic ones  ive been dying to ask this. as  isome of  the models ive noticed where made when they where done in metal, and was wondering if they are sold in plastic that day? or are they gone forever? 

Some metal models are sold year round in the "Malifaux Classics" section of the store. Some were re-sculpted in plastic for general use, which are the regular 2e and 3e models. There's also the Malifaux Vintage line of limited edition plastic master models molded to look like older metal ones. Those are usually available at the sales. 

Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

do they sell the old metal miniatures or release them as plastic (yes i know there is no discount and that it is when they sell their limited edition  models)  but do they re-sell the metal ones? or is it just the newer plastic ones  ive been dying to ask this. as  isome of  the models ive noticed where made when they where done in metal, and was wondering if they are sold in plastic that day? or are they gone forever? 

History lesson:

Originally, all of the models in the game were produced in metal.  Because that's what a new company can afford to do.

Then, during the end of 1st edition and the start of 2nd edition, Wyrd switched to producing plastic models.  The Mei Feng box was one of the first plastic boxes, as was the Hoffman Avatar box.  (If you go shopping through old stock, you may see plastic in boxes with grey backgrounds.  Those are going to be the transitional 1st edition boxes.)

Near the end of 3rd edition, Wyrd decided to produce their next batch of special edition models in metal.  (For either old time's sake, "unspecified reasons", or just because...)  Around that same time, apparently they found a collection of the old first edition metal models in the warehouse, and decided they may as well sell them.  Anniversary Edition Aionus, and Tortoise and Hare for a long time were exceptional due to being neither polystyrene or metal, until last year and this year's halloween models (and the TOS/Malifaux cross-over boxes.)

That's why you'll see some of the oddball things like the Bob Ross inspired gremlin, the Easter Bunny Viktorias in metal, or the "Silent Knight" Killjoy alt in metal with 3rd edition cards; but at the same time see the big list of "Malifaux Classics" metals in the webstore.

Wyrd outsources their plastic production, and sometimes there are huge mismatches between what they can afford to order produced and how popular a box will be, and a plastic box will go out of stock (this happened to the Crossroads Seven box a few times during 3rd edition, for example).  For the special edition plastic models, that sort of goes double, so there aren't any guarantees when a special edition box will be available again.  But there are basically three annual events for Wyrd:

• Easter
  • Gen Con
  • Black Friday

when you'll see the special editions come out.  Although, even as I wrote that previous sentence, the Halloween models demonstrate that what's done in the past continues to change.

I write all this out because if Wyrd's somehow decided to start secretly producing the old metal models again, I really, really wish they'd hurry up and "find" a few Avatar of Decay models and sell me one.  :Teddy:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• Adran changed the title to i have a question about the sale

thank you for the answers ive been dying to ask this question before the sale but couldnt as i was moderated. cheers mucker, that was very insightful. i didnt know the history.   there was a painted avatar of decay on ebay a couple of weeks back btw, its gone now unfortunately, the guy i bought the nightmare golem off had it., he didn't know much about it, it went pretty fast.   

i want the bob ross one, i also want the bunny, lol. they are the two main ones i want, then its the minicorns and sparkle steed. lol they probably wont  have them for sale now ive mentioned them, i probably jinxed it and they dont have any of those left lol.  like your nicodem model. thats my sort of luck.  i didnt know the plastic was polystyrene. thats interesting. ive never heard of that before. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

i didnt know the plastic was polystyrene.

Yeah, if you hear someone talking about ‘hard plastic’, like you get from Wyrd or Games Workshop, or frankly most consumer plastic model kits, that’s polystyrene.  (And with polystyrene you get models produced by injection molding, normally giving you the recognizable plastic sprues.)  It’s the stuff that you can use plastic cement to put together by melting the pieces together (instead of just getting pieces stuck together by super glue..)  It’s a fairly specific but fairly common family, usually just called “hard plastic”.

Texhnically, “plastic” and “resin” cover a large range of chemicals, ranging from stuff like the two part resin you can get in craft kits, the stuff that gets cast in commercial tanks, and the more recent formulations like “Finecast” or Siocast (which I’m not spelling right...).

7 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

i want the bob ross one, i also want the bunny, lol. they are the two main ones i want, then its the minicorns and sparkle steed.

If I had to guess, the odds of the bunny showing up at Easter should be good, stock willing.  But Black Friday’s only 25 days off, all sorts of kits have shown up if they’ve been in stock for that sale.

before i recently got back into models with malifaux,  most the models where metal i collected at gw, and plastic was awful back then they had just started appearing,  plastic genestealers and khorne berzerkers and plague marines lol. before that it was all metal and plastic arms i remmeber so everythign being plastic is different to me lol 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

before i recently got back into models with malifaux,  most the models where metal i collected at gw, and plastic was awful back then they had just started appearing,  plastic genestealers and khorne berzerkers and plague marines lol. before that it was all metal and plastic arms i remmeber so everythign being plastic is different to me lol 

I’m old enough to still have some of those models.  Still have fond memories of the old Rogue Trader models, back when a company could get away with calling one piece (or two, counting the backpack) model of a fancy dude holding a fancy gun fancy.  :) 

Sold most of my gw stuff. Still lot a bit to sell and a wrzone army that I can't seem to sell lol , but I could really use the bars 😅 

cheers sorry for not answering much i had to get get my ruby murry. lol i didnt order enough food to qualify for free delivery so i hgad to walk to get it lol so didnt have much time to write but i love my ruby murry, its my weekly treat lol

i remember we used to have a game night  and we would order ruby murrys, and play wargames all night but  it broke your back carryin all those metal figures lol 

so much better now its all lightweight plastic, but they do seem to be a bit more fragile than the metal ones.   so these plastics cant take much heat then? being polystyrene? 

ou dont seem to get that anymore a group of friends ordering a takeaway having a few beers and just playing wargames, it seems that has gone now, its all about going to clubs or into gaming shops and playing there. 

i sold my rogue trader book last year. . are the metal sculpts for malifaux as detailed as the plastics?