Preassemble is just too bad

Nathillien

If you're comparing that model to that render, it would be more fair to point out that it's not the image shown on the back of the box.  The back of the box has an image that is more consistent with the model in the packaging.  To be fair, the packaging for that model is putting pressure on the chopsticks and bending them forward so that the model looks worse from the front.

D7D66EA8-3AC6-4204-B85F-56ECB3E9AAC9.jpeg

The plastic from the pre assembled models is just bad quality... I bought the outcast starter box and I tough it was ok at first, but it's just to bendy and when I started painting I realized how less details the mini are compared to standard wyrd stuff...

I agree with the OP, this is not what I expect when I buy premium minis.

• Agree 4

Oof, that softness of details is pretty bad, yeah. The more recent Zombicide character models actually look sharper, I think. Kirai's face looks just really bad. I did order the Bayou Starter but kinda dreading how it'll look, now 😬

Have to agree that with these prices and the Wyrd pedigree this really isn't what I'm looking for.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Oof, that softness of details is pretty bad, yeah. The more recent Zombicide character models actually look sharper, I think. Kirai's face looks just really bad. I did order the Bayou Starter but kinda dreading how it'll look, now 😬

Have to agree that with these prices and the Wyrd pedigree this really isn't what I'm looking for.

the bayou starter does actually look quite good, not on sprue good, but good

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Metalhed said:

Kirai is the bottom end on look. Her face isn’t great.

Well, malifaux has its fair share of ugly faces, however, my problem is not only with that. Texture of plastic (or whatever that is) looks really wierd to me, it's not flat and looks all bumpy and uneven, with lots of tiny grooves. Edges have burrs, which could be hard to remove from things like hair due to fragility of material. Overall, judging by the photo, this model looks like a third rate bootleg models for wh40k i once got my hands on to. But, i guess ill be glad if i'm wrong.

I think the ToS starter box is pretty ok.  That comes with the caveat that Im wayyyy harder on the Kirai / Sonnia models than I am with the rest of them because they're masters.  If they were rank and file people I would be like 'these things happen, aw well' (as seen by the huckster who would give Kirai a run for her money in the long neck department).  With that in mind I'd rank both Sonnia / Kirai a bit lower than the rest of the box sculpt wise, but I also really love my alt metal Sonnia, so it'll take a lot for me to replace her.  Of the 2 I think I actually like ms long neck a bit more as I'm not crazy about the fire hands on Sonnia and feel like I can use the low detail on Kirai's face to my advantage with some well applied blacklining.

That said, I'm also coming from painting a metal gremlin over the weekend, and all I can say is I wish those faces had WAY LESS definition as I ended up resorting to putting a dollop of plastic putty in an eyesocket so I could paint the face without wanting to die.

I think if anything my biggest regret with this set is I've yet to see people go nuts and paint them up really well.  I think once some nice ones come out people will be less upset overall.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, muraki said:

I think the ToS starter box is pretty ok.  That comes with the caveat that Im wayyyy harder on the Kirai / Sonnia models than I am with the rest of them because they're masters.  If they were rank and file people I would be like 'these things happen, aw well' (as seen by the huckster who would give Kirai a run for her money in the long neck department).  With that in mind I'd rank both Sonnia / Kirai a bit lower than the rest of the box sculpt wise, but I also really love my alt metal Sonnia, so it'll take a lot for me to replace her.  Of the 2 I think I actually like ms long neck a bit more as I'm not crazy about the fire hands on Sonnia and feel like I can use the low detail on Kirai's face to my advantage with some well applied blacklining.

That said, I'm also coming from painting a metal gremlin over the weekend, and all I can say is I wish those faces had WAY LESS definition as I ended up resorting to putting a dollop of plastic putty in an eyesocket so I could paint the face without wanting to die.

I think if anything my biggest regret with this set is I've yet to see people go nuts and paint them up really well.  I think once some nice ones come out people will be less upset overall.

Agree. Some great paint jobs on these would go a long way. 

My set is in the mail. But I will say, one of the reasons I'm starting ToS is the fact that models are pre-assembled. So I expect the possibility

of some considerations.  With my gaming backlog and hobby desk over-flowing, I simply would not have had time to play this as well. Thus  I'm happy to compromise, if such an issue exists.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I agree that material is awful. Details that bended can't be completely straighten even with couple of iteration of boiling water - ice water - fridge one hour. My sharpshooters still have bended rifles... And assembly quality is bad also. Wyrds please go to normal plastic, please.