How do you actually kill someone in this system

nope nada

I'm reading through the system in preparation for a game and there is one thing I cant figure out. How do you actually go about killing someone? Aside from specific triggers which instantly kill, the only way I have found is to coup de grace, build up 10 bleeding out, or amputate their body or head. Given that most strong enemies are immune to unconsciousness and constructs are immune to bleeding out, is the only way to kill a strong construct to stack wounds on it until you get an amputate on the body or head? I feel like I have missed something key to the system, as this seems to make most enemies ludicrously bulky compared to fated characters

I think that everything that you have stated is more or less correct; nothing that I know of is technically immune to unconsciousness, it's just that high rank FM (Fatemaster) characters automatically pass the standard unconsciousness challenge that occurs when they are reduced to 0 wounds or fewer, which shouldn't be the case for most of the enemies that a party of Fated encounter during the early stages of a normal campaign (where the story starts immediately after character creation with no completed Pursuit steps).

52 minutes ago, nope nada said:

I feel like I have missed something key to the system, as this seems to make most enemies ludicrously bulky compared to fated characters

If you have missed something (totally understandable, it's a complex system 😋), it seems to me that you may have severely underestimated how powerful a party of Fated can get. Even with only 10 completed Pursuit steps (a campaign could involve 20-30 full sessions, 1 step per session) a single Fated character can get more "bulky" than any of the FM characters you will find listed in any of the various bestiaries, and that's before accounting for the amount of healing that a party can dish out, not to mention the ludicrous dps that some Fated can achieve (10+ damage per activation is very possible). If anything, based on my own experience, and what I've read on these forums, it's the FM's that are typically the one's having to juice up their FM characters just to keep up with the party.

Stacking wounds should bring down henchmen reasonably quickly.

I think the Fatamaster should often have their characters surrender or pass out before that though assuming it's appropriate to the story - at which point you could dispatch them if your character is so inclined.

I think the combat generally lends itself to like 80's action tv - you defeat them, lock them up or make them agree to stop being so naughty, then next week they get out again and you go after them again :D