Tried Reva 2 - she's actually not bad!

Maniacal_cackle

I hadn't looked at Luminary outside of having her pair with Insanitary, but I think there's a lot of unexplored territory with Luminary.

I'm trying to figure out what Mourners bring to the crew. 

My Dead Rider strategy should work very well with Luminary, even without Insanitary.

Using Visions of Fire to trigger Enkindle the Cult to trigger Funeral Pyre to trigger Tear Back the Veil, etc.

If Luminary kills a Mindless Zombie, it drops a Corpse Marker, and a Pyre Marker.

What is the main benefit of Grave Spirit's Touch on Shieldbearer? Is it Terrifying, or Regeneration +2?

2 hours ago, twelvepeers said:

I'm trying to figure out what Mourners bring to the crew. 

Mourners just... Don't quite work in any crew xD

Since they don't have any burning synergy, the big thing they offer is Scarlet Temptation for Reva. But I don't think she really needs it, since she's the priority for high cards in your crew. And the rest of the crew doesn't really care about it... It could be worth a go simply because her willpower attacks are so devastating.

And I suppose it combos with terrifying, but again the crew mostly doesn't have that (and you'd probably put GST on the mourner itself, which doesnt combo with scarlet unless you hire 2).

2 hours ago, twelvepeers said:

What is the main benefit of Grave Spirit's Touch on Shieldbearer? Is it Terrifying, or Regeneration +2?

Yeah, terrifying and regen+2 are both hugely relevant. It means that people wanting to target specifically the shieldbearer have a bit of a harder time, and they tend to take a bit of incidental damage from take the hit, etc. I find it keeps them alive a really long time (although to be honest opponents should focus fire shieldbearers as soon as they see that GST, so maybe I'll decide against it).

I see.

For reference to anyone not following the Insanitary thread. This is my mixed list.

1ss cache Reva Cortinas, Luminary
  Corpse Candle
  Corpse Candle
16ss Dr. McMourning, Insanitary
9ss Sebastian
7ss Corpse Curator
11ss Dead Rider
6ss Carrion Effigy
  w/ Effigy of Fate

I think this is a very strong crew, which takes advantage of Luminary's key mechanics. I feel that the Revenant keyword isn't well oriented towards taking advantage of what Luminary brings to the table. I'm of the opinion that Luminary's strength is in how she creates resources, which is why I think she pairs so well with Insanitary.

That being said, if we were to take Insanitary off the board, Corpse Curator is still something I would include in a Luminary crew. Using Corpse Curator as a mechanism to drop Pyre Markers is something I think tactically advantages Luminary.

44 minutes ago, twelvepeers said:

I think this is a very strong crew, which takes advantage of Luminary's key mechanics. I feel that the Revenant keyword isn't well oriented towards taking advantage of what Luminary brings to the table. I'm of the opinion that Luminary's strength is in how she creates resources, which is why I think she pairs so well with Insanitary.

What about Reva 2 makes you think she is better at producing resources than Reva 1?

In my experience Reva 1 is better at corpse-factories (and also doesn't need the pyre markers for her own purposes as much, so is happy to drop them near McMourning).

I find Reva 2 has far more synergy with her crew - Lampads, shieldbearers, and Vincent all are next level with her.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Pyre markers give them Shielded, and every time a marker drops near them you can push them.

Sure - but you're dropping all your Pyres in the same area? And it also gives them Burning which you need to account for by end of turn. If it stacks too high it can be a problem for them too. 

I guess some games you want to turtle and can keep your pyres all close together, but you still have to juggle the burning (which, to be fair, you have to do anyway to some extent). 

33 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sure - but you're dropping all your Pyres in the same area? And it also gives them Burning which you need to account for by end of turn. If it stacks too high it can be a problem for them too. 

I guess some games you want to turtle and can keep your pyres all close together, but you still have to juggle the burning (which, to be fair, you have to do anyway to some extent). 

Well now to answer you and the original person who said it...

You only take the extra damage from burning at 7 burning, so is manageable.

But I agree it isn't a priority, which is why I take GST on them to make them extra durable.

That said I am considering things like dropping a lampad and two GST for a dead rider on some maps.

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

You only take the extra damage from burning at 7 burning, so is manageable.

Only if you haven't burned through your Shielded already ;) Which your opponent should be trying to do it possible.

But yes, they can handle a bit of burning before really worrying. They're just low wounds too. Reva2 helps a lot with that with the ping heals.

I know you love the Dead Rider. I need to give him a better try. I don't think I gave him a fair go.  

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Only if you haven't burned through your Shielded already ;) Which your opponent should be trying to do it possible.

But yes, they can handle a bit of burning before really worrying. They're just low wounds too. Reva2 helps a lot with that with the ping heals.

I know you love the Dead Rider. I need to give him a better try. I don't think I gave him a fair go.  

No, 1-6 burning is one damage because of armor, so is the same effect at all those values.

Dead rider being unimpeded is the main reason I was considering him...

But if needing unimpeded, I think you play Reva 1.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Metalhed said:

Want to make sure I properly understand when tear back the veil fires. 

There are a few instances of places (lampad dancing in flames and drag along) plus pushes (Vincent’s carry the flame and Reva’s fab the flames). 

Do these count as drops?

The only drop is when you actually put a marker on the table for the first time. After that it is all moves.

7 hours ago, Metalhed said:

What is it about the gwisin you prefer? Are giving them GST?

I've only played 2-3 games with them, but Gwisin health 7 coupled with the incorporeal, take the hit, heal trigger, bonus action, etc is all very good. And yeah I give them GST which means they can blasphemous ritual too (which I give the shieldbearers anyway).

Biggest difference is they can't make a pyre marker for the crew, but now I've been taught a trick around that (corpse candle attacks reva, then she kills the corpse candle with the damage.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Metalhed said:

So doesn’t trigger for Vincent or lampad? 

See page 28 of the rules: "If a marker is created, it is treated as dropped, with the following additional rules..."

So creating and dropping both will generate Reva's effect (though his tome trigger won't count as dropping).

1 minute ago, Metalhed said:

If that’s true I’m not sure why you’d ever take Vincent. 

Funnily enough I never use cremation on Vincent. I find his shooting way too valuable, since with Reva's Luminary's Chosen he becomes a 3/4/5 shooter with crit strike. I've gotten him to a 5/6/7 damage track before xD

7 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

See page 28 of the rules: "If a marker is created, it is treated as dropped, with the following additional rules..."

So creating and dropping both will generate Reva's effect (though his tome trigger won't count as dropping).

Funnily enough I never use cremation on Vincent. I find his shooting way too valuable, since with Reva's Luminary's Chosen he becomes a 3/4/5 shooter with crit strike. I've gotten him to a 5/6/7 damage track before xD

It’s not cremation. It’s his carry the flame that I thought was better. 

Without her tear back the veil it’s really not as good. 

Just now, Metalhed said:

Does it? If the pyre moves into them they don’t trigger hazardous. So don’t pick up burning. 

Markers moving does cause hazardous (see page 37 for hazardous rules).

Dropping/creating doesn't count as movement (so no hazardous when they're put on the table), but every move after that counts for doing hazardous.