Tried Reva 2 - she's actually not bad!

Maniacal_cackle

Just had a game with Reva 2 (against Lucius 2) and she was a lot better than I expected!

The 'every pyre marker drop is a 2" push and a burning and a damage" is just so good. Throughout the game I was using reposition tricks. Opponent standing in concealment to make my attacks harder? Not a problem, I just pyre marker them out of the forest. Lucius hanging next to a wall to do secret passage? Well, just shield bash him away from the wall. Opponent attacked Reva? Drop it onto a corpse candle and reposition the enemy model so it can't attack again.

Shieldbearers also offer excellent protection (for instance, my lampad as lodestone carrier was largely immune to repositions because it spent the game next to shieldbearers... Until I black-jokered its hovering flame and I had to pass the token xD)

Lampads do serious work in this crew. Breath of Fire is pretty amazing when it gets to go off (and a lot of Lucius' crew has defense 4 😈). Flaming Fury is 3/4/5 the first time it hits near Reva, and Flame Wall is an amazing built in trigger in this crew. The repositions on the attack are SO good (although I didn't actually pull it off because I forgot it was built in, but it would have smashed if I remembered). And of course being a burning battery is actually relevant here, since you want to drop 5 burning onto enemies at every opportunity after turn 1.

I only lost one lampad (after he dispelled the burning and then killed it with hyjinks), but then his dispeller died xD

Reva has some GREAT lines. For example...

• Bonus action + luminary's chosen onto someone to give them burning +5.
  • Charge and hit them with melee with mask trigger (2+2 damage), reposition them.
  • Immolate them for 6.

So that's an easy 10 damage (and if it kills them, that's a lampad!) So is a bit painful to play around. If you get near Reva you start to get hurt very quickly (and repositioned a lot!)

Overall the crew is definitely viable for casual play, and it may end up being competitively viable. I haven't experimented out of keyword yet, but I think there's probably some great options (Bete Noire can kill a corpse candle from across a table, giving a pyre marker and thus a reposition...)

Lots more to try with this crew, seems very sweet!

My list was Vincent, lampad x2, shieldbearer with GST x2, whisper on Reva, and 7 stones. 7 stones + whisper feels right, and the lampads and shieldbearers felt great.

EDIT: She is also way tankier than you'd expect. At any given moment during the game, I typically had a shieldbearer, stones, heals, and candles to help protect Reva. So while she took some hits, it wasn't efficient at all for my opponent. Just avoid her in pools where they naturally want to kill your leader (assassinate), and it isn't worth the work to kill her I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thats really nice to hear/read :)
I really wanna try her sometime, when I have played more games with the old masters...

Where you able to spread out or do have to stay more bubbly cz of the 8" ping damage/heal
would you go into it with two lampads again? cz I also kinda like the draugr :) 

I was hoping that reva might be better than people say

Agree with all. I think Reva2 has some interesting play that will make her different than Reva1 and just as competitive (though that's a low bar) and maybe a bit more so. In competitive play I'm a little worried that all of the pushes could slow down the game a bit. 

I hadn't thought of using Bete to kill the Candle from anywhere -that's a neat trick. 

Did Vincent do much for you? I'm still usually pretty disappointed in him. 

Would you consider a Draugr in replacement of one Lampad in the hopes of summoning one in early game? I like the Draugr models and they sometimes do work, but they fold fast.

9 hours ago, doubleW said:

Where you able to spread out or do have to stay more bubbly cz of the 8" ping damage/heal
would you go into it with two lampads again? cz I also kinda like the draugr :) 

Her 8" aura is so important, so I spent the game 'bubbling' (staying within the 17" circle she provides). Some models would drop out of it for scheme purposes, but the main action was in her 17" circle

I played her as a zone control master - that is, I didn't bother going to my opponent most of the time. I focused on putting her and the team down on important parts of the board, and forced my opponent to go through me. It was leylines, so this was a pretty effective plan - if you park Reva in the middle, that bubble extends out super far (especially since she can still do solid work after moving 10 inches and attacking xD)

The two lampads felt great, but I had one carrying my lodestone. I can definitely imagine situations where you only take one. Could also tinker with going down a shieldbearer, or a Vincent.

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Did Vincent do much for you? I'm still usually pretty disappointed in him. 

He was as disappointing as always xD

That said, he did extend my threat ranges a little bit. I needed to do 4 damage to a doppleganger at one point to score Let Them Bleed, and he was the only one who could do it without getting horribly out of position.

But if he had been Bete Noire, I could have done the same thing potentially (although the 'immune to charge' is annoying).

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Would you consider a Draugr in replacement of one Lampad in the hopes of summoning one in early game? I like the Draugr models and they sometimes do work, but they fold fast.

I don't think you can count on summoning. It puts too much pressure on Reva. The summon needs to be a threat instead of a promise.

• Threat: if weak models come near me, I'm going to kill them and turn them into Lampads.
  • Promise: I'm going to chase you down and turn you into a lampad.

The threat is passive and just is a huge headache for your opponent. The promise forces you to chase them down and spend a ton of work, which is not what the crew wants to do. It wants to zone control, not chase the enemy.

That said, could totally go down to one Lampad in many situations, as said above.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, we may have to revise it to "better than Reva 1", but we'll see.

This last game I was basically summoning a Lampad every turn but 1 xD Repositioning enemies constantly, etc.

I feel like new Lampads were designed to work with Reva 2. The pyre marker trigger is STRONG now (3/4/5 damage track with 2 burning and a 2 inch aoe reposition, anyone?) Vincent can do so much work, and his tome trigger is now a serious threat. I lived the min-5 dream today as well, which can just end models.

Definitely put her on the 'masters to watch'. I've heard claims the Russian meta has broken her, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, doubleW said:

Great to hear :) 
...from all resser title masters I'm most interested in her (next to Seamus)

thats why I'm playing reva 1 now in beginners tournament :)

+ I even started painting my lampads :D

did you try the new enforcer aswell? 

I've just done basically fixed list every time:

• Reva with whisper
  • Vincent
  • 2 lampads
  • 2 shieldbearers with GST

3/4 of my games with her have been on leylines by sheer chance, though... So not sure what I'll bring in other pools xD

16 minutes ago, Plaag said:

revas title is broken-to many dmg and moving with no resist

The movement (+ burning +1 damage) is really just so potent.

The fact that you can attack your own models to make pyre markers to make it completely unresisted is pretty amazing xD

And of course you can unresisted traverse through ember other models, so repositioning enemies is happening constantly.

14 minutes ago, Metalhed said:

Sorry could you elaborate that more?

Use Reva 2's Luminary's Chosen trigger to give Vincent +1 damage (since he can gain shielded from pyre markers).

Then of course you have the option to crit strike1-2 times, so his damage track can be up to 5/6/7 (ignoring hard to wound and incorporeal).

The focus comes from shieldbearers.

• Thanks 1

One issue I'm running into is there's no way to give Reva shielded efficiently (you want Vincent to activate after her).

Although at least Vincent can turn on her shielded on his turn, and then vincent's attack does 3/4/5 + 2 for the pyre marker trigger xD

8 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Great to hear...Reva is one of my favourites and I have new one so I will have to give it a go when i finish my Ivan binge. Whats the consensus on the Deacon?

Haven't tried him yet, don't see why he'd be necessary or where he'd fit in. Any ideas on what you'd use him for?

2 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

I thought his bubble of not being able to remove burning might be good. plus more burning and pyre markers. Not sure he is any where needed but might be fun to try him out

I find that my models are usually coasting on only a little bit of burning anyway (lampads are getting hit and having it reduced, etc), so I'm constantly topping up so don't mind the burning removal I think.

Translocation ritual is amazing, but I think I'd rather rely on Reva for that. That ability is better with kaeris 2 since the suit gets built in. Flame burst is REALLY good I think. Bonus to drop a pyre marker is also really good...

So he definitely has tech, I just struggle to see him in over any of the models I have. I should give him a fair go though xD

On 10/21/2021 at 4:52 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Lampads do serious work in this crew. Breath of Fire is pretty amazing when it gets to go off (and a lot of Lucius' crew has defense 4 😈). Flaming Fury is 3/4/5 the first time it hits near Reva, and Flame Wall is an amazing built in trigger in this crew. The repositions on the attack are SO good (although I didn't actually pull it off because I forgot it was built in, but it would have smashed if I remembered). And of course being a burning battery is actually relevant here, since you want to drop 5 burning onto enemies at every opportunity after turn 1.

I belive flame wall is create a pyre marker. Would that trigger reva's ability as it says when a pyre marker is "dropped"

10 minutes ago, Rochambeau said:

I belive flame wall is create a pyre marker. Would that trigger reva's ability as it says when a pyre marker is "dropped"

It should, since Create is just Drop with additional restrictions.  To quote the rulebook:

If a Marker is Created, it is treated as Dropped, with the following additional rules described below: