does it matter what fate deck you use

Mr Oogie Boogie

They don't look the same.

Some decks have colour indication of suits (in addition to symbols) and big numbers easily recognisable from the other side of the table - those are the good decks and Santa puts their users into the Good Boys List.

Other decks have no colours, small numbers and disgusting unreadable fonts - those are the bad decks and there is a special (very hot) cauldron in hell for their users.

• Haha 4

Your fate deck needs to have 54 cards, numbered 1-13 in 4 suits, a red joker and a black joker.

So from a practical point of view they are all the same. You can use a normal deck of playing cards if you want. 

They can look different and have different levels of ease of use (I find it can be hard to recognise the suit of the puppet deck at a glance for example) but they are all interchangeable. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

thank you. thats what i was meaning when i meant are the yall the same. so they dont have different skill things on them for  different factions or anything or anything special  so i could use a gremlin deck for neverborn 

The main difference between the fate decks is going to be the artwork on the cards.  Most of the decks for Malifaux have some indicator on the card whether the card is weak, moderate or severe (to save you having to look up the number on the chart in the rulebook), usually by one, two or three marks in the corner or the word weak, moderate or severe.  I just checked, and the deck in the Explorer's Society box has one, two or three dots on each card, and the red joker has all four suits on it.  All of the "Faction" decks should be like that.

If you get a The Other Side fate deck, or a Puppet Wars fate deck, those decks won't have the weak/moderate/severe markings.

Otherwise, it's pretty much just a matter of what artwork you prefer.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

so is the bayou deck you get in the starter pack any good? 

I like the deck in the outcast starter quite a bit. You get art of models in your faction on facecards and jokers, and it's a nice design overall. Also very sturdy plastic. Shouldn't have to worry about scuffing or marking. I would assume similar for the Bayou one.

• Thanks 1