Masters/Keywords Tagging Project

Rufess

I am recently preparing the first local tournament after Malifaux Burns Expansion. Since the number of masters has been doubled and there are couples of new players joining the tournament, I am planning to make a deck of Reference Cards as an entry gift, to help the new players understanding their opponent's crew in a minute.

In every Reference Card there will be a single version of a master along with his/her keyword printed, followed by a list of attribute tags that the opponent should play attention for, in 2 tiers. For instant the cards of Lady Justice will be like:

Lady Justice

• ⚠AoE Condition Removal
  • ⚠Extra Attack
  • ⚠Healing
  • ⚠Advance Movement
  • Anti Bury
  • Anti Summon
  • Anti Undead
  • Offensive Bury

Lady Justice, Death-Touched

• ⚠Advance LoS and Range
  • ⚠Anti Bury
  • ⚠Anti Healing
  • ⚠AoE Healing
  • ⚠AoE Duel
  • ⚠Offensive Bury
  • ⚠LoS and Range
  • Terrain [Blocking, Destructible and Impassible]
  • Anti Summon
  • Anti Undead

The tags started with ⚠ representing the primary/core attributes of the master and keyword, which is highly likely happen when facing against the keyword. Other tags mean the attributes are possible/capable to do so, but in a lower chance/less reliability.

The problem is I am not familiar with every master and keyword in game, not to mention all the new titles. So I could use some help on filling out the tag list of each keyword. Here is a list of tag that worth the opponent look at. You are feel free to add/merge/split any attribute as needed.

Please note that, imo, the list should only include those attributes that will affect the opponent's game plan to keep the total count minimum. It is alright that a player does not know the opponent can draw a bunch of card, however it can cost him a game if the player does not know the opponent can discard his hands.

• Action Control (Obey and similar effect)
  • Activation Control (Mood Swings, Pass Token related effect, and etc)
  • Advance Charge (Blade Rush, Diving Charge, Frenzied Charge, and etc)
  • Advance Defense (Manipulative, Protected, Serene Countenance, and etc)
  • Advance LoS
  • Advance Movement (Fly/Ride with Me, Leap, Nimble, Onwards, and etc)
  • Advance Range
  • Anti Armor
  • Anti Healing
  • Anti Resistance Trigger
  • Anti Summon
  • Armor
  • AoE Duel (effect of "models within range must pass a TN X Y duel of Z")
  • AoE [X] (AoE Healing, AoE Marker Removal, and etc)
  • Blasting
  • Bury Attack
  • Condition Removal
  • Damage Reducing (Dark Deception, Flaming Body, and etc)
  • Deck Control
  • Defensive [X] (Defensive Bury, Defensive Condition Removal, and etc)
  • Extra Attack
  • Extra Activation
  • Force Movement
  • Hand Control
  • Healing
  • Irreducible Damage
  • Marker Removal
  • Model Replacing
  • Mv Attack
  • Offensive [X] (Offensive Bury, Offensive Condition Removal, and etx)
  • Scheme Marker Dropping
  • Scheme Marker Removal
  • Shockwave
  • Stat Increasing
  • Summon
  • Sz Attack
  • Terrain [X]
  • Terrain Removal
  • Terrifying

Problem I see is that trying to summarise starts running into the issue of missing some things that aren't important most times, but can seriously change a build.

Like your example with OG Lady J. You don't mention Blindfighter, which in at least 95% of games is at most going to be an "oh, OK then" moment for your opponent.

But in a few crews, especially with the changes made in the FAQ, this might be central to a crew build.

SdCQaYN.png

Ng4heRG.png

Made 2 sample cards to show the outcome.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Problem I see is that trying to summarise starts running into the issue of missing some things that aren't important most times, but can seriously change a build.

Like your example with OG Lady J. You don't mention Blindfighter, which in at least 95% of games is at most going to be an "oh, OK then" moment for your opponent.

But in a few crews, especially with the changes made in the FAQ, this might be central to a crew build.

I see your point. And yes it is difficult to draw the line in between "important attributes" and "niche attributes". Like the attribute "Anti Summon" in the above examples is quite similar to Blindfighter, that only has impact on like 1 game out of 10s. I think the different here is would it ruins the game if you had missed that attribute before game.

And that why I would like advices from others to help me out on the keyword I am not familiar with, since it requires enough experience to work out.

• Like 1

I know its a bit unpopular... but I'd almost say you have to do it all yourself. 

Not that I wouldnt help (and havent started similar things before on my own..), just more that what I consider high / med / low may be different than you.  So I'd almost prefer 1 person (who may not have total knowledge of the new titles / crews they dont play) than 7 people if only because they'll use the same ranking system.  Cause I just mentioned it to my boyfriend and their initial comment (as a J player) was 'both j's are anti summon as the marshal keyword is anti summon'.  I on the other hand would probably rank neither as anti summon (unless J2 is getting an anti-summon tag as summons are places, and if they're within j's aura they'll take damage, but i'd rather call that out as 'anti place tech' than summon).  Same with stuff like AoE.  If one master has 'sweeping strike' as a trigger, and another has 2 shockwaves, are they both 'AoE' worthy call outs?  What about maxine with a aoe forced movement?  Does it tick off both boxes, or is it more movement than AoE?  Obviously there's

And of course giving it out to others will spawn a bunch of other questions that should be called out like 'unresisted damage (cadmus, various triggers)' 'free suits (siphon power, price of progress, etc)' etc. 

Maybe I'm the minority here, but I don't think it will help new players. It's marginally quicker than reading the cards but you don't understand what the master want to achieve.

I really like that kind of summary to have an overview of a faction. I think it can help advance player to do more accurate strategic choices.

• Agree 1